Agajanian Special, Fresh from Amelia and now in Hershey

One thing I've always wondered about Indy cars from this era.

The narrow Firestone Gum Dipped Deluxe Champion seemed to be the tire of choice. Were these the same Deluxe Champion tires Firestone sold for street use or were they "different" in some way?

Looks like the ones on the Agajanian car have had some tread modifications for racing.

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

One thing I've always wondered about Indy cars from this era.

The narrow Firestone Gum Dipped Deluxe Champion seemed to be the tire of choice. Were these the same Deluxe Champion tires Firestone sold for street use or were they "different" in some way?

Looks like the ones on the Agajanian car have had some tread modifications for racing.

Glenn,

These are purpose built race tires and absolutely modified for oval racing.  People think the camber is way off but the lack of tread is by design.

• Like 1

Please tell us a liitle more about the car and it's history.   Looks like the model I built in the 1950's.

I watched the Indy cars race in the St.Petersburg, FL Gran Prix last Sunday.   How things have changed in the years I;ve been occupied with antique cars!

Paul, this car was restored to its 1958 livery.  Driven by Troy Rutman and built by Eddie Kuzma  Tube frame, 255 c.i. Offy with 450 HP at 6,000 RPM's.  It did not qualify for the `958 Indy race nor in 59 but did ok in the 60 race under the #39.  In 58 it did run in Monza, I taly for three races.  I believe it won one of them.  Yes it lives in Urbana!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Paul, this car was restored to its 1958 livery.  Driven by Troy Rutman and built by Eddie Kuzma  Tube frame, 255 c.i. Offy with 450 HP at 6,000 RPM's.  It did not qualify for the `958 Indy race nor in 59 but did ok in the 60 race under the #39.  In 58 it did run in Monza, I taly for three races.  I believe it won one of them.  Yes it lives in Urbana!

The 1952 Agajanian #98 did a lot better and won. Sometime in the mid 1970's I got to sit in the restored car at a meet in Ohio. The car had just sold to a fellow that owned # 97 and #99, it fit perfectly. At $35,000 we wondered where the hobby was going. Bob 

A.J.Agajanian was the owner and he entered cars for many years at Indy and somehow he "owned" the 98 number.  Notable drivers for JC Agajanian included Al Unser, Bill Vukovich II, Walt Faulkner, Troy Ruttman and Parnelli Jones. 

As noted the Firestone tires were purpose built racing tires,  I read somewhere that the slick part was for grip and the groove to clean the track (think the tire is sliding/slipping as it goes into a corner)

Firestone had a facility on the North side of 16th street on the East end of the Indy track property.   Don't think they actually made the tires there but it was probably their testing facility. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Steve is that the same car that was there last summer? What surprised me the most about these is seeing in person how small they really are. I dont think I could even fit into the driver seat, let alone take control of the situation. 

Steve are there any "As Found" photos of this car? So many INDY cars of this era were turned into Oswego Super Modifieds that looked nothing like the Speedway cars. It always amazes me how cars so modified get restored back to there original glory. 

Yep. I have a complete album of the car and its history but will have to ask Bob if he is ok with sharing it on the forum.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:25 AM, TAKerry said:

Steve is that the same car that was there last summer? What surprised me the most about these is seeing in person how small they really are. I dont think I could even fit into the driver seat, let alone take control of the situation. 

Ever notice that professional race drivers are almost all small short guys, built like Jockeys.   In the mid 1990's I had an offer to Navigate Dale   

Bell's 1935 Ford Miller Indy car in the next Great American Race.  I had to turn him down because I would need to loose 30 pounds to even get in

it, plus I was a 6' tall red head and would have been crispy bacon after the 4000 mile race.   If you ever looked at any finishers on the GAR that

were in open speedster cars, they were all burned toast, unless they wore full facial helmets.  I was a GAR Junkie, but that was more than I was

willing to give.   This picture was at the end of the 1993 Great Race, my 8th race.Scan.jpg.5fffa4da9352d1dc120e3bcc14ce3960.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Spilling arrows (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 3/7/2023 at 11:40 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

Please tell us a liitle more about the car and it's history.   Looks like the model I built in the 1950's.

I watched the Indy cars race in the St.Petersburg, FL Gran Prix last Sunday.   How things have changed in the years I;ve been occupied with antique cars!

I also built a model of this car in the early 60's!