has anybody else noticed certain models of classic cars in droves turning up over the past few years

arcticbuicks

maybe its just me but i have noticed certain models of cars i thought were mostly long gone turning up and coming out of the woodwork lately ,as in the past few years,I see a lot of AMC cars showing up at car shows for one example 

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

I've noticed this with various 70s models, the first being colonnade Chevelles and full-size Chryslers. I suspect part of this can be attributed original owners of a certain age group passing away or at least moving out of their old homes, along with new attention to those models by folks who are priced out of older vehicles. Others I'm seeing pop-up a lot: Dodge Mirada, Larks, Fairmonts. And, of course, where were all those first generation Broncos hiding?

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere (probably on TheAMCForum) about how one member from Southern California had been seeing more Ramblers on the road recently. His theory was that people got priced out of Falcons and other early 60s cars, so they turned to the more "neglected" makes like AMC and Studebaker that didn't get as much love over the years. People suddenly got interested in dragging that old car out of the garage, when before it just got left there because it was an economy 4-door sedan. I also recall an article, maybe in Hemmings Classic Car, about how 70s cars have been gaining popularity in the last few years as people retire and get nostalgic for their childhood/teen years, so they have been picking up Malaise-era stuff cheap since nobody wanted it for so long. 

• Like 1

• arcticbuicks changed the title to has anybody else noticed certain models of classic cars in droves turning up over the past few years

At our local A&W Cruise every Friday during the summer, something new that most have never seen before turns up each week without fail.  It actually makes me look forward to attending just to see what surprises await me when I go.  

Craig

• Like 1

Unfortunately I see the same old stuff. Last summer I left a couple of shows right after showing up being that I had seen the same cars over and over. Quite a few I didnt even go to for that same reason. I found I had more fun driving to them. Looking forward to more driving time this year as the season gets closer.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Unfortunately I see the same old stuff. Last summer I left a couple of shows right after showing up being that I had seen the same cars over and over. Quite a few I didnt even go to for that same reason. I found I had more fun driving to them. Looking forward to more driving time this year as the season gets closer.

That was true here about ten years ago; getting tired of seeing the "same old" each time.  Not sure what has happened in the past few years Covid, notwithstanding.  Even a year or two before Covid hit, I was starting to see some interesting cars start to come out of the woodwork, and they weren't awful malaise cars, either.  

Craig

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AL1630 said:

I remember reading somewhere (probably on TheAMCForum) about how one member from Southern California had been seeing more Ramblers on the road recently. His theory was that people got priced out of Falcons and other early 60s cars, so they turned to the more "neglected" makes like AMC and Studebaker that didn't get as much love over the years. People suddenly got interested in dragging that old car out of the garage, when before it just got left there because it was an economy 4-door sedan. I also recall an article, maybe in Hemmings Classic Car, about how 70s cars have been gaining popularity in the last few years as people retire and get nostalgic for their childhood/teen years, so they have been picking up Malaise-era stuff cheap since nobody wanted it for so long. 

This would certainly account for the asking prices for ramblers these days... How long before they show up at Barrett Jackson and become the target of imbibed bidding?

• Like 1

I saw the title of this topic and expected it to be about pre WWII  luxury cars. We all have our own definition of the word "classic car"  ( an overused word to describe something , just like nostalgia or nostalgic was decades ago and the word iconic is now) I am not complaining nor 'putting down ' the later/newer cars but wonder if anyone else thought the same about what this would be about after seeing the title?  Perhaps moving forward add in the words prewar or postwar?

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@Walt G I cannot keep up these days on what is politically correct for words to describe,one has to be careful ....to be inclusive of all.

I was actually not familiar with the term 'pre war' and a few other terms until not long ago........or maybe more the common use of the term ,i guess i just saw an era of cars more by the decades they were from.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

I cannot keep up these days on what is politically correct for words to describe,one has to be careful ....to be inclusive of all.

I agree, one can't say something without clarifying so you do not offend someone. My recollection of the use of pre war and post war came into being in the late 1970s early 1980s to place an era not a specific year or even decade. Gives a mindset reference to not only styling but mechanical equipment -. There is more acceptance for just about everything now.

I recall attending an AACA region meet here on long island in my 1941 Packard '120' woody station wagon , it was at a time when you got credit for attending in a AACA eligible car - I didn't get any credit because at the time 1935 was AACA's cut off date for an antique car. That didn't bother me at all , as the car still had running boards and I loved it.

• Like 4

The antique car hobby is cyclical. I have owned several Model A's and naturally gravitate to that section at car shows. My first year going to HERSHEY was 1968 and I still have the program. It lists over 200 Model A's on the show field, last year there were about 10 Model A Ford's on the field in total. Back in the 60's and 70's the people that were restoring model A's were probably middle agers that had some skills and cash and wanted an old car. Those people are probably gone and now their heirs are disposing of those cars. Model A's and T's are parade cars and are not a car such as a 55' Chevy or 65' Mustang that you can just get into and drive. Very nice Model A Ford's sell for less than they sold for several years ago and you can't give a Model T away, every time I look the prices are coming down. It's just a fact of life that things change and we all need to change with them.

• Like 1

that is a good point.......here in this area a lot of model A cars are coming out of the woodwork.......some previously restored decades ago that havnt been out for a long time ......and with younger guys quite interested in them ,and i see more wanted ads etc 

• Like 1

articbuick

"I was actually not familiar with the term 'pre war' and a few other terms until not long ago"

I was talking to some young guys and I used the term "Pre-War" and one asked "What War ?"

In Vegas at the Sunday Cars and Coffee you never know what will show up on a nice day.

052.JPG

• Like 4

I'll try to stick to what I think I know and what I think that I have learned recently. I like all cars and collect what I like, but Studebakers have been a part of my life for 60 years. Studebaker was fortunate to have lasted as long as it did. If it hadn't produced cars into the 60's many of it's last models would have been forgotten like most of the other independents. I could say the same for Rambler and AMC in general. 

I'd like to focus on the last utility vehicle that Studebaker produced the Lark. As a Studebaker guy when the Lark came out I grudgingly put up the the old mans' car because it temporarily forestalled the company's demise. For the life of me I couldn't understand how anyone could appreciate the ugly little sawed off things! In the days after the company produced it's last car I had a number of beater Larks, but it took decades for me to learn to appreciate them for what they were, a great driving, reliable, antique driver, that is seldom seen outside of Studebaker ranks. That lack of appreciation was deep within even the Studebaker community too. I remember going to Lancaster Pa. for a National meet in 2008 or 2009 and out of 400-500 cars present there was one 1st generation Lark on the show field.

Appreciation for all cars changes with the passage of time. When new it's all about styling and performance. As cars age the features that made a car "collectable" becomes blurred. Things like stories of a particular car's survival, or the fact that a car is almost never seen becomes part of the mix.  

Social media like the Facebook "Studebaker Addicts" forum has opened up Studebakers to a whole new group of younger people. Younger people feel comfortable with the anonymity of the Facebook format and it has allowed us older guys to interface with them, when it might be impossible to even have a face to face discussion with many of them. In addition this group has no built in prejudices against any models. In fact they seem to love the Larks because they are more in keeping with what they grew up with. They are also affordable. I have never been more optimistic for the future then I am today. Isn't discovery great!

• Like 2

There is an anomaly I call the "nostalgia wave".

Basically the retirement age people of every historical era of autobillia will seek out and drive/ride the dream car/bike of their youth. Every decade it moves to the next group of vehicles.

Previously it was the 50's/ 60s cars. Currently the muscle cars of the early 70s are in the spot light. In 10 years time it will be those awful plastic pollution cars of the 80s.

But in the background we are seeing these young 20/30 year olds turning up at events with authentic non hotrodded machines from the 40s and 50s.

What drives these younger people is a mystery, maybe a connection to a grandparent, or hooked up by classic movies, but their passion for older vehicles is really welcomed.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

The antique car hobby is cyclical. I have owned several Model A's and naturally gravitate to that section at car shows. My first year going to HERSHEY was 1968 and I still have the program. It lists over 200 Model A's on the show field, last year there were about 10 Model A Ford's on the field in total. Back in the 60's and 70's the people that were restoring model A's were probably middle agers that had some skills and cash and wanted an old car. Those people are probably gone and now their heirs are disposing of those cars. Model A's and T's are parade cars and are not a car such as a 55' Chevy or 65' Mustang that you can just get into and drive. Very nice Model A Ford's sell for less than they sold for several years ago and you can't give a Model T away, every time I look the prices are coming down. It's just a fact of life that things change and we all need to change with them.

Being a semi- young guy in the hobby- I'm 46- I'm ok with this because I still kinda want a model a and would love a T. Found several local at good prices, but have a kid heading to college in a year or so and that's keeping me from grabbing one right now..LOL

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Roscoe said:

Being a semi- young guy in the hobby- I'm 46- I'm ok with this because I still kinda want a model a and would love a T. Found several local at good prices, but have a kid heading to college in a year or so and that's keeping me from grabbing one right now..LOL

Roscoe, you will age quickly with paying for college. But it’s the best feeling in the world helping your kids get an education and hopefully debt free. The cars can always come later. The worst thing you can do is start a project and then not have the $$ to finish because of family requirements. 
dave s 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I'd like to focus on the last utility vehicle that Studebaker produced the Lark. As a Studebaker guy when the Lark came out I grudgingly put up the the old mans' car because it temporarily forestalled the company's demise. For the life of me I couldn't understand how anyone could appreciate the ugly little sawed off things! In the days after the company produced it's last car I had a number of beater Larks, but it took decades for me to learn to appreciate them for what they were, a great driving, reliable, antique driver, that is seldom seen outside of Studebaker ranks. That lack of appreciation was deep within even the Studebaker community too. I remember going to Lancaster Pa. for a National meet in 2008 or 2009 and out of 400-500 cars present there was one 1st generation Lark on the show field.

I was driving my '63 to A&W until another BIG project gets ready to invade my garage space.  For the past couple of years, I've been driving a '66 Cruiser to A&W in the summer.

Craig

IMG_0592.JPG

• Like 3