The identify this tool

halifaxhops

11 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I remember going to auctions at dealers and seeing piles of "dealer essential tools" that were still in the box never used

We went to Fall Carlisle 2016 and, just inside the A gate, someone was selling a complete mid-1960s Chevrolet "dealer essential" rear axle tools set. Still in its molded styrofoam box with cardboard lid and looked to have been used sparingly if at all. $65.00.

My Chevrolet bud couldn't get his wallet out fast enough. It worked on all of his and his brothers cars.

Meant we had to go back to the truck and get the landscaper wagon, but that was one of the best Carlisle scores any of us ever made.

That was the same year I found my Hoppy headlight aimers. It was a productive trip.

• Like 2

n'tNot a lug wrench used with a starter crank. 

3 hours ago, halifaxhops said:

I am stumped

Good! It's hard to get you. 

It is a socket to remove the crank bolt on a Model A Ford by using the hand crank. Because of the cross member and crank bracket, it's impossible to get a socket and extension on it. Most old mechanics used a hammer and chisel to loosen the crank bolt. That's why they are usually chewed up. The lower cast iron pully was very fragile and needed to be replaced often due to breakage. Now you know the rest of the story! Also you couldn't replace the front motor mount without removing the pully.

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, halifaxhops said:

You got it!

Yes a bead breaker.  But that handle is not the proper size.  It does not even fit the head.  I still have a bead breaker, i little bit heavier that this one with a short handle; but the original owner was a very short person, too. And mine had a big rubber end on the back, for pounding the tire bead back onto the rim

intimeold 

This is the handle for various seal drivers or light bushings. Usually seal driver

Different sized drivers would be screwed onto this handle' then with a preferably  soft hammer, you would drive the seal in.

In a new tool kit, you would get maybe 2-3 different length handles like this and a whole array of different sized attachments to fit different tools. Each attachment was for a specific seal size or shape. 

intimeold

• Like 3

3 hours ago, intimeold said:

This is the handle for various seal drivers or light bushings. Usually seal driver

Different sized drivers would be screwed onto this handle' then with a preferably  soft hammer, you would drive the seal in.

In a new tool kit, you would get maybe 2-3 different length handles like this and a whole array of different sized attachments to fit different tools. Each attachment was for a specific seal size or shape. 

intimeold

Nope! Way off. Here's a hint. It's for a Mercedes and the new picture is of two for a Franklin automobile like in my picture.

00.jpg

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Temporary wheel studs to align wheels on a Mercedes that use bolts to hold the wheels on instead of lug nuts. It's hell to hold the wheels up and align the holes in the wheels with the threads in the hub without them.

You nailed it! Same way with those heavy wire wheels or demountable wood wheels on Franklins. Any car with lug bolts and no ridge to hold the wheel up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Like J Franklin,  transmission.    Also similar for oil pan when engine is still in the car.  I have three sets, different size, home made, in my tool box.

Ben

No, they're not homemade guides. They're tools provided by the car manufacturers for installing their wheels and are part of the spare tire tools. All mechanics make homemade guide pins as they need for special assemblies.

22 minutes ago, hook said:

No, they're not homemade guides. They're tools provided by the car manufacturers for installing their wheels and are part of the spare tire tools. All mechanics make homemade guide pins as they need for special assemblies.

LOL.  I didn't mean the ones in question are homemade.  They obviously are not. I will rephrase.  I have three homemade sets in my tool box. 

Since I have BUICKS I have no need of them for wheels.

SO, they are GUIDE PINS. 

Ben

• Like 1