V16 Cadillac in Bremen (Germany)

Hans1965

I have seen a dealer's ad from England ca. 1936 offering used Rolls Royce chassis that had been rebodied. They called them "replicas". They would take an unwanted sedan, 5 to 10 years old, junk the old body and put on a more modern looking convertible body. Probably confined to the smaller 20/25 model.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I have seen a dealer's ad from England ca. 1936 offering used Rolls Royce chassis that had been rebodied. They called them "replicas". They would take an unwanted sedan, 5 to 10 years old, junk the old body and put on a more modern looking convertible body. Probably confined to the smaller 20/25 model.

The Springfield factory for Rolls-Royce in United States would take unsalable sedans and limousines and put their playboy roadster body on and resell them. This was done in the 1930s. These cars are welcome everywhere for the obvious reason they were done by the factory in period.

New bodies placed on chassis in period by established coachbuilders have won Pebble Beach best of show awards. This is very different than a restorer putting a new body on a chassis postwar. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The Springfield factory for Rolls-Royce in United States would take unsalable sedans and limousines and put their playboy roadster body on and resell them. This was done in the 1930s. These cars are welcome everywhere for the obvious reason they were done by the factory in period.

New bodies placed on chassis in period by established coachbuilders have won Pebble Beach best of show awards. This is very different than a restorer putting a new body on a chassis postwar. 

There is a whole world of people who don’t care about “Pebble Beach”. Private collectors who buy or build what they want. They couldn’t less interested in being judging by snobby clubs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This was happening much earlier too. There was one English dealer (whose name escapes me at the moment) who regularly purchased big powerful, but out of date limos and had sporty bodies mounted. In this case it was never the factory that rebodied them but it was done in period when the cars were still in regular use...not as "collector items." This was before WWI.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

I can’t help but smile when I think of a guy who told a Model J owner he had a nice car and thought they did a good job building the body  in the 70’s or 80’s. Then he realized the owner thought it was a real car…..oops! Leno told me two of his recent purchases were cars that a guy paid all the money for, and then found out they were Per Sang replicas. He bought them so the guy didn’t have to look at them.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 12:12 PM, edinmass said:

Gunsmoke, you're entitled to your opinion........but the simple fact is that is not a V-16 Cadillac roadster. And it's not well done. It's a hacked up mess. I didn't critize the fact someone cut up a sedan....who knows, maybe it was rusty or burned, but if you're going to build something and call it a seven figure car..........at least do it well. It's not a replica or a representative of what a true Cadillac Fleetwood automobile was or is. 

Perhaps it was driven over by a Sherman tank many years ago...

22 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I can’t help but smile when I think of a guy who told a Model J owner he had a nice car and thought they did a good job building the body  in the 70’s or 80’s. Then he realized the owner thought it was a real car…..oops! Leno told me two of his recent purchases were cars that a guy paid all the money for, and then found out they were Per Sang replicas. He bought them so the guy didn’t have to look at them.

He bought them because he could get a deal. Think it might be time to pull the keys and hide the matches. Not his first boo boo.9C1FF3D8-A499-4BD0-A6F6-9602AAD15FE5.jpeg.f8bfb7b110a64d10c254a00b1210118f.jpeg834415E5-4026-49B8-96BC-9824C077EE46.jpeg.e6f3692786ba2fb60c93f7a4d0264f44.jpeg

All this talk of rebodied chassis! I know of a re-chassised body! A Springfield (believed Silver Ghost?) Rolls Royce limousine purchased new, and less than two years old, the owner decided he wanted a sporty roadster on his chassis. So he sent it back to Springfield. they took the limousine body off and had a roadster custom built. So, what do you do with the body?

Supposedly, this has been verified. The body was worked over, the divider window removed, interior completely redone, and the body fitted onto a new PI chassis. All done by the factory, completed in 1926 or 1927. 

• Like 1