Is driving across Nebraska and Minnesota on I-90 these days still like riding a bucking bronc?

sagefinds

Many decades ago we would drive up to Rapid City,East to New Underwood and North to Hereford to see relatives. They put in I-90 there and it totally self destructed,had to be replaced. Couple decades later we went to the Iola Wi swapmeet and coming back it was still the worst interstate I ever drove on. It broke the hitch on our motorhome but luckily I was able to jury-rig it enough to get home using two lane roads down to I-80. I may have to go that way shortly and just wondering if anyone has been over it,particularly in Minnesota. Appreciate any info.

I have to make the trip 3 times a year..

My son goes to college in MN..

I took the back roads twice and I 35 an I 80..

Still on the fence on the best route.

My wife loves shopping in Edina Minnesota.. 

Her bill was almost the cost of my car insurance for the year on my toys...

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I don't know if they finished it yet but when I was in Omaha last year there was a ton of work being done at the intersection of I80 and I29, with 29 being completely closed. 

https://media.fotki.com/2v2adprH9x2zUmm.jpg

• Like 1

The respective state and even local road departments should have road condition reports either on their web sites or by phone (numbers listed on state, county, or city sites). AAA might also be a good source for current road info.  A helpful person can direct you to the information if they don't have it.

Remember it's winter. Be careful.

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I don't know if they finished it yet but when I was in Omaha last year there was a ton of work being done at the intersection of I80 and I29, with 29 being completely closed. 

https://media.fotki.com/2v2adprH9x2zUmm.jpg

Sorry, Billy, but what does that have to do with I 90?  You lost me!

Ben

Along the same thoughts, I think that an historic preservation bill was passed in the State of New York requiring all evidence of original road surfaces to the clearly defined in the top strata of any repaired or replaced sections of road.

Originally this was limited to the extension into existing shoulder when any road was widened. It now shows in previous intersections, straightening of curve, and other modifications including reminisces of tar strips on concrete sectional highways.

In an hour I will use one of the historical monuments of the past to bring home groceries. This is the road that inspired my thinking.... every Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LI_BENTLEY said:

low bidder no inspections or bad specs

Veteran or woman owned business that probably went bankrupt waiting for payment to be authorized.

My earlier post mentioned a section of bad road sarcastically. I told my wife what I had written as we drove over it and she believed me.

Last time I took either I90 or I80 the black ice was the biggest problem. I wasn’t hauling a trailer so maybe that would be different. With winter up there I’m not sure road conditions wouldn’t change overnight sometimes. 
dave s 

6 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Sorry, Billy, but what does that have to do with I 90?  You lost me!

Ben

When the post mentioned I90 in Nebraska, which it does not run through, I figured it was a typo of I80. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Someone asked how things are on I-80 now,since it runs coast to coast it's a little hard to say other than this area. Here in the windblown SE corner of Wyoming,we are at 6062' above sea level. It can snow any month of the year here. The high point on I-80 East of the Miss is a little bump in the road in Pa at 2250' above. The high point West is 35 miles West of here at 8640'. It can be sort of balmy here and a raging blizzard up there. Very often closed in the winter months from bad storms and smasharoos from people that drive too fast for conditions or vehicles not suited for slick roads. If you get over the summit you drop about 1500 feet into Laramie at 7220'. From there to Rawlins is what is appropriately nicknamed the Snow Chi Min trail. Old highway 30 used to go North out of Laramie in an arc through little towns like Rock River and Medicine Bow back to where 80 is now. The highway dept decided they would go straight through. The ranchers told them it was a churning mess in the winter but it was 11 miles shorter and has saved billions of gallons of fuel. But in winter it is closed so much and actually interfering with the nation's commerce by stopping big trucks,that they are thinking of running a bypass around by the old highway 30 route. I would like to give this advice-if you are going to drive through here,be prepared in case you are caught up in a sudden storm,it can be a blizzard or just blowing snow from high wind in the form of a ground blizzard. Have blankets,coats,boots,non-perishable food,water,full gas tank,etc. You may get stuck out in the boondocks and have to wait hours for help. If all you can see is the taillights from the car ahead of you,then if he drives off the road,you will follow him and be stuck also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I-90 probably does not compare in the least little bit to I-10 and I-20 through Mississippi and Louisiana.

Thanks, West,

Living here in Louisiana, and driving I-10 on a regular basis, I'm comfortable stating that major portions of I-10 have been significantly improved especially the area just west of the elevated roadway just west of the Atchafalaya Basin and mile 118, going toward Lafayette. We have ongoing major repairs as well as new construction, and widening with additional lanes several 

I don't drive I-20 often, actually as little as necessary, and have noted some improvements there as well. 

Louisiana has a unique situation with regard to road construction - ours are considered "Floating Roadways" as the soil in many areas typically has substantial water content, is constantly sinking, and many areas are actually below sea level. The constant beating-up of these roads by overloaded trucks, travelling at high speed, causes ongoing damage to the concrete, as well as the sub-structure, requiring extreme maintenance at extreme cost, and not properly funded by federal sources - not all of the damage is caused by locals - rather by inter-state commerce.

As frequent travelers, hauling our cars cross-country to support and enjoy the old car hobby, we do appreciate those areas of smooth miles across other areas outside of Louisiana, but have noted some other areas with tragic results. Driving through Chicago on my way to judge a show a few years back (Oak Brook?), we broke springs on both the trailer, and the car inside!

In the DC area the George Washington Parkway in Northern Virginia along the Potomac River is notorious for it’s numerous large potholes that destroy tires and rims. The National Park Service does not have the budget to repair on a regular basis. Glad I don’t live there anymore. The $$s saved not replacing tires goes toward filling up with non-ethanol gas!

22 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Just drove across NE.

52 hornet 512.JPG

Just curious - what sort of economy does a rig like that do? I happened to watch a you tube video posted by some folks - coincidentally in Nebraska - driving their similar Ram diesel pickup on a trip of several hours. No trailer though they did have an engine on a low stand in the bed. Their dash readout was showing around 17 mpg at a 70 mph cruise. At around $6/gallon it wasn't cheap travel. "Cheap' is relative though. In this part of the world diesel is currently around $2.20/litre (figure the NZ dollar to be worth only 2/3 the US dollar). For diesel vehicles there are road user charges on top of that. I don't own a diesel but I see from the relevant website the base rate for a vehicle no more than 3.5 ton is 7.6 cents/kilometre (around 5c/mile).

15 minutes ago, CChinn said:

In the DC area the George Washington Parkway in Northern Virginia along the Potomac River is notorious for it’s numerous large potholes that destroy tires and rims. The National Park Service does not have the budget to repair on a regular basis. Glad I don’t live there anymore. The $$s saved not replacing tires goes toward filling up with non-ethanol gas!

That is the area where, some time back, my sister's Honda Civic hit a pothole with such severity,

that the tire blew and wheel bent,

but the the Airbag went off and blew out the windshield.

She traded in the car rather than considering repairs.

45 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Just curious - what sort of economy does a rig like that do? I happened to watch a you tube video posted by some folks - coincidentally in Nebraska - driving their similar Ram diesel pickup on a trip of several hours. No trailer though they did have an engine on a low stand in the bed. Their dash readout was showing around 17 mpg at a 70 mph cruise. At around $6/gallon it wasn't cheap travel. "Cheap' is relative though. In this part of the world diesel is currently around $2.20/litre (figure the NZ dollar to be worth only 2/3 the US dollar). For diesel vehicles there are road user charges on top of that. I don't own a diesel but I see from the relevant website the base rate for a vehicle no more than 3.5 ton is 7.6 cents/kilometre (around 5c/mile).

You are right on your guess. Wind can play a part in the mileage. Any where from 11-17 loaded.

• Thanks 1