My first official project- 1936 Pontiac

2 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

is the glass the same as a 36 chevy ? amazing how small the windows are .......i dont think there is a window in the car a person could crawl out

Good question. I have a windshield out of a 36 Chevy Standard coupe and it is taller than Pontiac. I wonder if a Chevy Master sedan would be the same as Pontiac. I doubt it, but I would like to know.

1 minute ago, arcticbuicks said:

i wonder if its a 36 and a 1/2 ? ....with the steel structure doors instead of all wood

No Pontiac didn't have that. They are all wood. Chevy only had it in the Standard and only late in the year. This car is an early 36. I am referring to @Kingdomtraveler's car, not @aristech's. There were a ton of mid year changes at Pontiac in 1936. The four softplug block and the tail lights put this one definitely in the early part of the year. No doubt more pictures will show more early 36 details.

• Like 2

looks like a very nice original....nice find ! .........out back in my junk,i have a 36 chev 4 door with the steel doors and was surprised they were all steel,i got it for parts for a 36 3 window coupe,here they didnt have master or standard but number model,did the US have a 3 window chev coupe ?

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

Will be a nice driver for you to enjoy, and hopefully keep as original. Replace the glass, clean out the mechanicals, go through the fluids and fuel system, and share it with the public.

I hope to see you on national tours with this grand-dad of a "Silver Streak".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, erichill said:

Sure looks like a very reasonable car to get going with. Does it run? Looks complete and that's a biog time saver for sure.

It turns over freely. I just charged the battery so now i need to see if she fires. Seller said he had it running pre covid but then it sat for 2 1/2 years so we will see.

On 1/3/2023 at 1:41 PM, Bloo said:

Good question. I have a windshield out of a 36 Chevy Standard coupe and it is taller than Pontiac. I wonder if a Chevy Master sedan would be the same as Pontiac. I doubt it, but I would like to know.

No Pontiac didn't have that. They are all wood. Chevy only had it in the Standard and only late in the year. This car is an early 36. I am referring to @Kingdomtraveler's car, not @aristech's. There were a ton of mid year changes at Pontiac in 1936. The four softplug block and the tail lights put this one definitely in the early part of the year. No doubt more pictures will show more early 36 details.

`36 Pontiac and `36 Buick 40 series use the same windshield, Chevy is something like a half inch taller. On the all steel doors of a `36 Chevy standard, check the cowl tag if the ID number is followed by a "z", it has steel doors. I was a member of POIC for approx 10yr, never came across anything for a `35 Pontiac. My stuff was from Hemmings and the Pre-War swap meets(80s and 90s), along with a lot of windshield time chasing parts all over the country. Ebay was the biggest help when they first came about, just about everything has dried up now..

• Like 1

Yeah, you'll find more of the old car crowd in Early Times Chapter than POCI, even though it is technically part of POCI. Even then there are more postwar cars. You occasionally see some 35-36 stuff for sale in the "ETCetera".

In the realm of 35-36, I have been to ETC's "Flathead Reunion" national event once in my 36 Master. Last year a black 36 Master coupe was coming but had mechanical trouble. There was a black 35 Standard Six there I hadn't seen before, and there is gray 35 Standard Six that almost always shows up. Most of the prewar Pontiacs that show up are older or newer.

Good to know that the Buick windshield is the same.

• Like 1

that 36 Pontiac is just a nice looking car !.........i have steel doors on a 36 chev parts car....i will never use them....but shipping would be costly for someone wanting them,would sure cut down restoring door wood,also a set of coupe doors 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:49 AM, arcticbuicks said:

looks like a very nice original....nice find ! .........out back in my junk,i have a 36 chev 4 door with the steel doors and was surprised they were all steel,i got it for parts for a 36 3 window coupe,here they didnt have master or standard but number model,did the US have a 3 window chev coupe ?

Master or Standard is a big difference in Chevrolet. If you are comparing to what was offered in Canada (I think?) I am going to have to plead ignorance. In the US models Chevrolet Master and Chevrolet Standard is a big difference, and hardly anything interchanges, like hardly anything interchanges between a small and large Buick. Standards have smaller rear axles, torque tubes, a smaller transmission with no synchromesh, weird 5 lug wheels that don't fit anything else, different frame, and in some years the engine is different enough parts won't interchange. The Standard was typically made with the previous year's body dies so it looks completely different as well.

The one exception is 36, where the Standard body looks about the same as Master, but maybe that's because any 36 looks about like a 35 Master. It still can't be quite the same thing even though it looks like it in 36. The 36 Standard wheelbase is shorter than the 36 Master. They had to take that out somewhere. The 36 engines are finally all the same despite Chevrolet trying to pretend it was still different, but the 36 Standard still uses all the weird undersize drivetrain parts.

30 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

i see very few 36 chev 3 window coupes ,or even pictures on the internet 

I think the car I have this loose windshield out of was a 3 window coupe, but I can't remember for sure. I am sure it was a 36 Standard.

EDIT: Maybe not. I was just looking around online, and every 1936 Chevrolet 3 window I can find appears to be a Chevrolet Master.

EDIT 2: Since this is a Pontiac thread, I should point out that that this is completely different in Pontiac.

In 1935 The car with a straight axle (the cheapest model) was called a "Standard Six", with some very early references just calling it a "Pontiac Six".

In 1936 the straight axle car was called a "Master Six".

By the time the 1937 parts catalog came out, Pontiac was calling all the 1935-36 straight axle cars "Master Sixes" in the parts catalog.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

that 36 Pontiac is just a nice looking car !.........i have steel doors on a 36 chev parts car....i will never use them....but shipping would be costly for someone wanting them,would sure cut down restoring door wood,also a set of coupe doors 

What area are you in?

I don't think Chevrolet doors are the same as Pontiac? Beltline doesn't line up. Somewhere on a misplaced hard drive I have pics of a coupe door that some guy with 3 1936 Pontiac coupes bought. It was sold to him as a 1936 Pontiac door but wasn't. It was probably Chevrolet Master or Standard. 

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Kingdomtraveler said:

That would be a bit of a trek. I am in south central Pennsylvania, roughly 2 hours west of Philly.

Well phooey. The Flathead Reunion was in Ephrata, PA last year. Too bad you didn't know then. I believe the people who have the black 35 Standard Six were from PA and might be somewhere close to York(?).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

002.JPG.89b59f493309ae205071972c402620b1.JPG001.JPG.34d683cc5a13ab6753e9ea064d0cdc48.JPG010.JPG.a5417e928b0af8a7f5c6c793fe327dbd.JPGhave a few parts cars out in the bush012.JPG.0d8e35909545e056e9ae94090d52b88e.JPG

You have some beautiful old tired iron! Such beauty and elegance in those machines. Sad to see them rust away. Thank you for sharing these pics. I am almost certain i will need a window regulator for the driver side rear door. I turned the crank and it turned freely while the window remained closed. I will get to it sometime soon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

you can have it ,will just be shipping ,its middle of winter here ,message in few months and you will probably need a thing or two yet....maybe

You are most generous! Thank you! I will keep in touch. Winter here, so far was cold for several weeks but now feels like spring. 

13 minutes ago, Kingdomtraveler said:

I live in Ephrata! What are the chances?? Any idea where exactly it was held?

We were at the Hampton Inn. The show on Saturday was at the Cloister. What a cool area. I was having a bit of car trouble with the modern car I drove out from WA, and so didn't get to explore the area as much as I would have liked. I intended to post a thread about the event. Maybe one of these days I'll get my act together and do it.

The Chevy doors are about 2" shorter than the Pontiac, different belt line, and possibly hinge location. I`ve only seen a few steel door cars, never a coupe or 4dr, only 2dr sedans. The steel doors i`ve seen seem to be thinner than the wood structured doors. So would a steel door fit the body jamb of a wood door body? Oldsmobile, Buick, and Pontiac doors seem to be the same(dimension wise) except for the belt line.

i dont think the factory would change too much of the car body to just add steel doors later in the year...if anything.........i sold a couple doors to a friend restoring a car and he used his door skins from wood structure doors and installed them on steel structure.........made such a nice tight door lining up .....and huge savings of wood work ,and he had no pattern left to go by with rotted away wood......the redish color 4 dr in my pic is steel structure doors,and another 2 door i have not pictured,i think one of the other cars in my pics is also steel structure,and i have a 3 window coupe ..........in spring i will have to go out to our yard and compare some of these to a few pontiac and buicks

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)