1957 Dodge charger $29,000 ------------Not Mine----------------

Another transmission description that baffles the heck out of me. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1105502276758856/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A308027b8-a151-4841-9109-d417e4132346

Driven 47,125 miles
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Green · Interior color: Green
Fuel type: Gasoline
Clean title

This vehicle has no significant damage or problems.

Product photo of 1957 Dodge Charger

298955026_5160989910678720_2975887567210

Seller's Description

1957 DESOTO FIRESWEEP SPORTSMAN 2 DOOR HARDTOP (NOT A DODGE CHARGER) VERY VERY RARE ORIGINAL SINGLE COLOR PAINT AND STAINLESS SIDE TRIM COMBO ON THIS SPORTSMAN FIRESWEEP! NO 2 TONE PAINT SCHEME ON THIS SCARCE AND EXTRAORDINARY SEXY RIDE! THIS TAMARACK GREEN AND STAINLESS TRIM LOOK EXTREMELY HOT COMPARABLY. THIS HUGE TAIL FINNED SMOOTH CRUISER RUNS GREAT AND RIDES LIKE A DREAM. THIS FIRESWEEP SPORTSMAN ONLY HAS 47,125 MILES ON IT & WAS BUILT IN DETROIT. IT SPENT MOST OF IT’S LIFE IN CALIFORNIA. IT’S ALWAYS BEEN GARAGE KEPT. IT COMES EQUIPPED WITH A 325 C.I. MOTOR WITH HYDRAULIC LIFTERS, 2 BARREL CARB AND 245 HP. IT HAS A 3 ON THE TREE SHIFTER AND TRANNY AND PUSH BUTTON TRANNY DELETE ON THE DASH. IT’S GOT A 3.921 REAR AXLE. IT HAS TORSIONAIRE SUSPENSION AND A GREAT RIDE. IT HAS NO POWER BRAKES OR STEERING BUT THEY WORK GREAT. THE TIRES ARE GOOD. THE ORIGINAL EXHAUST CAME OUT THE PORT HOLES IN THE BUMPER. IT NOW COMES OUT THE REAR CORNERS UNDERNEATH & SOUNDS GREAT. THE FLOOR PANS & TRUNK PANS ARE EXCELLENT! THE BUMPERS, TRIM AND BODY LOOK GREAT. THE PAINT IS GETTING THIN BUT IS STILL PRESENTABLE. NO RUST ON THIS BODY! IT HAS SPECIAL ORDER HUB CAPS. THE REAR SEAT NEAR THE TOP HAS A SEAM STARTING TO COME APART BUT THE REST OF THE INTERIOR IS BEAUTIFUL! IT HAS THE SPECIAL HARDTOP TRIMMED HEADLINER WHICH IS IN GREAT SHAPE. ALL THE LIGHTS WORK. THE WINDOWS ALL WORK WELL. THE FLUID FILLED SPEEDOMETER DOESN’T CURRENTLY WORK GREAT. THE ODOMETER DOES WORK WELL. THE GAS TANK HAS BEEN UNPROFESSIONALLY REPAIRED WHERE THE FILLER NECK GOES INTO THE TANK. IT NEEDS REPAIRED OR REPLACED. THE UNDERSIDE OF THIS VEHICLE LOOKS GREAT! I’M SELLING THIS VERY RARE & NOSTALGIC BIG WINGED DESOTO FIRESWEEP SPORTSMAN FOR A GOOD FRIEND. IF YOU’D LIKE TO SPEAK WITH HIM PERSONALLY BEFORE PURCHASING I’LL GIVE YOU HIS CELL NUMBER. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO BE CRUISING IN A SUPER COOL BIG WINGED RIDE THAT WILL GET THUMBS UP EVERYWHERE YOU GO. IT IS PURE FUN & ENJOYMENT! BUYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR TRANSPORT. ONLY WIRE TRANSFER OR CASH ARE ACCEPTED AS PAYMENT. THE CAR IS IN WEST BRANCH, IOWA NEXT TO I-80.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Another transmission description that baffles the heck out of me. 

It's just a normal 3 on the tree. The mention of the pushbutton delete is because manual transmissions in Chrysler products of this era are like rocking horse poo. A car converted to manual after the fact would be missing the delete plate for sure. You would never, ever find one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The Firesweep is built on the Dodge chassis, not the Desoto (Chrysler) chassis.  It has a Dodge drivetrain, suspension bits and brakes.  It was still somewhat common for Dodge cars in '57 to have a manual 3 speed on the column.  If, as in this case, you stepped up a couple hundred dollars into the DeSoto, the TorqueFlite automatic trans was not standard equipment.  It could simply be a case of a sales manager or salesman forgetting to tick the box for the automatic.  

'57 DeSotos are broadly considered to be the best overall styling ever penned by Virgil Exner.    The last time this same car was on the market approx 4-5 years ago it seemed like the car took about two years to sell until the price dropped..  We may watch that happen again considering the current asking price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like it also has a radio delete and a rubber mat in front instead of carpeting. I'll bet that it started life with blackwall tires. The guy did go for a heater, at least, so he wasn't a total curmudgeon. I don't know why, but I am always attracted to bare bones versions of fancier cars. I like it.

Edited by 5219
skipped a word (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Is a 3.92 rear end common for this car? Seems like it would go quickly from stop light to stop light with 245 HP. 

By '57 the US auto industry is still hanging on to the early '50s (and prior) when it was quite universally standard that an overdrive car came with a 4.56 rear gear and a straight stick came with a 4.11.   For Chrysler cars in '57 there were eleven ring and pinion set choices available.  '57 is the first year of Chrysler's new 8.75" tough rear axle assembly.   The drop-out diffs will interchange up through '65 I believe.

This being a Firesweep, having '57 Dodge front fenders, there was no availability in this year for Plymouth, Dodge or this Firesweep to have quad headlamps.   Only the "full size" DeSotos, Chryslers and Imperials eventually all came with quads in the model year.   And I too like them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Seems like it would go quickly from stop light to stop light with 245 HP. 

Your right. I installed a 3.91 posi in my Barracuda and getting from one light to the next happened very quickly. Don't want to talk about fuel mileage though. 🥵

This car being larger and heavier I can't believe it was getting good mileage either. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1