What Did the Letters GMC Originally Stand For?

Twisted Shifter

You may already know that GMC stands for General Motor Company. But did you know that it once stood for Grabowsky Motor Company? When General Motors bought the Grabowsky brothers’ truck business in 1909, it kept the acronym GMC. Though the acronym has stayed the same for over a century, it has had several different meanings through the decades.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/what-did-the-letters-gmc-originally-stand-for/ar-AA14ZCRf?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_Motor_Vehicle_Company#/media/File:Rapid-motor-vehicle_1906_ad.jpg

Rapid-motor-vehicle_1906_ad.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

You may already know that GMC stands for General Motor Company. But did you know that it once stood for Grabowsky Motor Company? When General Motors bought the Grabowsky brothers’ truck business in 1909, it kept the acronym GMC. Though the acronym has stayed the same for over a century, it has had several different meanings through the decades.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/what-did-the-letters-gmc-originally-stand-for/ar-AA14ZCRf?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_Motor_Vehicle_Company#/media/File:Rapid-motor-vehicle_1906_ad.jpg

Rapid-motor-vehicle_1906_ad.jpg

I remember buying my first GMC truck in 1999 and reading a plaque on the wall of the dealership that GMC was originally Grabowsky Motor Company, turned out to be rather convenient for GM in the long run.  

• Like 1

So a question I have: When GM consolidated its automobile lines, getting rid of Saturn, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile, why did they keep GMC?  They are just rebadged Chevys, but they maintain a whole separate dealership system for GMC.  Don't understand why

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NEMGs said:

So a question I have: When GM consolidated its automobile lines, getting rid of Saturn, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile, why did they keep GMC?  They are just rebadged Chevys, but they maintain a whole separate dealership system for GMC.  Don't understand why

GMC is majority of fleet sales, as well of a lot of the larger trucks that are not offered through Chevrolet. GMC Dealerships house the Buick and Cadillac franchises, very few produce the volume to be stand alone any more. There is a large brand loyalty of customers to GMC trucks. To be honest if GM shut down GMC I will look at other brands before Chevy. I find the Chevy's are sold with packages, the GMC's seem to be 'a la carte. I never minded paying more as long as I got what I wanted, or a better way to put it I did not get stuck with items I did not need.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NEMGs said:

It would have made some sort of sense 50 years ago, at least in Canada.  Up until the mid-1970's, GMC dealers were standalone truck dealers only that sold and serviced the full range of GMC commercial vehicles; no cars!!  Because GMC at the time was in direct competition with International, Mack, and the Paccar line of medium duty and heavy duty models, all GMC dealers, were expected to maintain stock of them on the lot, besides half-tons and vans.  As expected, GMC dealers back then were located in the industrial sections of the city, not downtown, or near residential neighborhoods like car dealers.  Then some absent-minded bigwig GM exec decided it would be smart to pair up Pontic-Buick dealers with GMC, and in turn force the former standalone GMC dealers to sell Pontiacs and Buicks.   It only added to the start of GMC's failure and abandonment in the heavy duty Class 8 truck market, when they sold out to Volvo in the late 1980's.  

Craig

• Like 1