Fender Skirts --- Thumbs Up or Down ?

Crusty Trucker

I’m of the opinion things get mixed up at car manufacturers that affect how a car looks. Or one dept gets the privilege of adding something to the car to mess it up. Your example is great showing how a car can get goofed up when marketing sticks their head in.

A real example of a goof up is Buick Riviera Engineer explaining how a Dinsmore compsss was approved for a 63 Riviera, but was later relegated to a 62 Buick approved compass. So the one time approved Dinsmore compass was no longer approved and another Dinsmore compass was put in. My point is for judging by AACA shows can be picky or fickle. A person should have his Buick proof source to prove a point if a problem comes up.

Bob Burnopp

• Like 1

wish i had original skirts for my 54 windsor. i recently bought aftermarket skirts, but they fit over the wheel well. i am going to get some paint mixed to match the car and put them on.not sure i will be happy with them. i will post a picture when done. i think most cars look better with them. they were an option for 54 chryslers, but very few owners got them.    dennis  

• 3 weeks later...

Now AACA eligible but not when photographed.   This 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood would have looked broken without the skirts.   With its LT-1

Corvette engine, it blew away lots of noisy muffler Hondas while carrying 6 Que Tips in comfort.

Fleetwood.jpg.64520083591599f4680fb763c42b405b.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The 55er said:

Fender skirts are a bad idea though on 1955-1956 Chryslers & DeSotos. They ruin the looks of the cars. 

Agreed. I couldn't throw these in the trash fast enough (actually, they just went in the trunk but I hope they'll never be seen again).

Ew.

Desoto1.jpg.29c91193b11ee1e325bdd86d263c3ae9.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arcticbuicks said:

when i was younger and saw cars with fender skirts.....to me it meant .....it separated the old guys cars from the young guys......grandpa cars had fender skirts.......and not that the skirts looked bad either

Check out these grandpas!

5,905 Full Size Car Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstockimage.jpeg.ccd2a63dae2889ff0ea55bd66ba97bb7.jpegimage.jpeg.bf30c7024360acb0e45e2e1b7ea7d07c.jpeg

VCDC : Photo | Pedal cars, Lowrider cars, Lowriders

• Haha 1

This may be the ultimate in fender skirts -- on the front wheels as well as the rear wheels.   Too much for me, but it's definitely different (and otherwise a very cool car).

Screenshot2023-02-24at6_43_16PM.png.26db50635fe260d441fda72d969a0b55.png

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/7427-1949-delahaye-135-ghia-coupe/

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:05 PM, Pfeil said:

Check out these grandpas!

5,905 Full Size Car Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstockimage.jpeg.ccd2a63dae2889ff0ea55bd66ba97bb7.jpegimage.jpeg.bf30c7024360acb0e45e2e1b7ea7d07c.jpeg

VCDC : Photo | Pedal cars, Lowrider cars, Lowriders

Remember in Granpa's Day, cars lowered in the rear with fender skirts were cool.   Dual exhausts and 4 on the floor and Mud Flaps, they were 

really cool.

VWFounders.jpg.bc5d2ce849cea5fc4b223e62a748a9ed.jpg

11 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Remember in Granpa's Day, cars lowered in the rear with fender skirts were cool.   Dual exhausts and 4 on the floor and Mud Flaps, they were 

really cool.

VWFounders.jpg.bc5d2ce849cea5fc4b223e62a748a9ed.jpg

You would have a hard time getting that one past Dr. Porsche. Besides they were never factory, and never factory approved.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

I don't care for accessory skirts, which were popular on early Kustoms and now on Lowriders. If the skirts were on the car originally, they were better integrated and complete the styling. My '57, Cadillac had open wheel wells, while my'56 , '64 and '70 Caddies wore skirts. I get that a lot of guys want to "dress up" their car, but it isn't always an improvement. Just like Continental kits, unless the car was designed with it, they look awfully tacked on. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

download (5).jpeg

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

ORLY?

screen_shot_2016-10-10_at_4.42.10_pm.png

Really!  That is a Ferry Porsche/ Erwin Komenda creation June 1951 not Dr. Porsche, Dr. Porsche the Sr. was coming to the end of it after being imprisoned by the French after the war. It was the first Porsche race car. Engines, suspension, steering, transaxle were modified VW pieces. Of course, Dr. Porsche (senior) and his team designed those VW pieces. 
Dr. Ferdinand Porsche dies in January 1951 - it's not his car.

Ferdinand did build the Berlin to Rome car (1939) that was never raced because France and Great Britain declared war on Germany.

Ferdinand Porsche, VW history, Beetle, 356, 911Berlin to Rome car.

The Porsche Type 205 does have skirts, but for different reasons.image.jpeg.5487472f5e47b63ec1c66c36174153ec.jpeg

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Like Walt G said, it totally depends on the car, and personal taste. For example, for my PERSONAL taste, I don't like skirts or continental kits on 55, 56, and 57 Chevy's. I personally enjoy those cars best as sporty-looking cars which were the race cars and street machines of choice during my youth. On the other hand, some cars look magnificent with skirts, like certain Cadillacs of the 40's. Again, just my personal taste.