Get your 1931 Duesenberg J here, only $95!

Gary_Ash

HUM3D, a supplier of very detailed CAD files of cars and other things, has just released files for a 1931 Duesenberg Model J Willoughby limousine.  The cost for a complete set of files is $95, includes several formats.  Of course, you can't drive it or park it in your garage, but you can see it from any angle on your computer screen.  The files should be accurate enough to build your own Duesenberg, should you so choose.  They also have other Duesenberg models.  You do need a good CAD program to view the files.  I'm sure someone here will tell us who this particular car belongs to.  Ed...?

https://hum3d.com/3d-models/vehicles/duesenberg/

I had HUM3D create a CAD model of my 1932 Studebaker Indy car replica as I was constructing it.  They even included all the rivet heads in the model.  If you have enough photos of your car from various angles, maybe 100 or more shots, and supply basic dimensions, they can create a CAD model for you - at a price.  

Duesenberg_Model_J_Willoughby_Limousine_1931_1000_0001.jpg.380a2f1154682c21c008ca1e0ac59145.jpg

Here is the red Model J.  If you don't like red, you can change the colors in a CAD program.

Duesenberg_Model_J_Willoughby_Limousine_1931_1000_0002.jpg.cc1a90ef64f27ab30c8b97c1d7cb20f2.jpg

• Like 4

I recently completed a story on the history of the Willoughby Company and had access to some of their factory files. They never ever painted a car that color.

Yet another part of automotive heritage with inappropriate "bling" added to sell the product added . If this car were real it would be at one of the major concours here in the USA  in a extra special class titled OTTB ( Over The Top Blingness) .

• Like 6

No disrespect meant, but I dont understand the concept. Is it so one can have a picture of a car on their computer? Cannot one be found of a real car you could look at? I took a couple of really good pictures of a model A roadster at a show a few years ago that I use as a screen saver that did not cost a penny. The Duesenburg above looks a bit clunky. I am not a computer person and learned drafting with a board, t square and pencil. Still do it that way, I suppose if I stepped into the 21st century I would get it.

Oh joy. Virtual scale plastic models.

Actually, there is a lot of real potential here for being able to study cars or concepts. But only if the people creating the programs do the job right, and make it accurately. Otherwise, it is just another fantasy plastic model.

Sorry.

• Like 1

All being said and done, my thanks to Gary for letting us know that this is even being done. I didn't know it and this is the first I have seen/read about it.

I am very basic in my computer knowledge - have learned enough to be able to submit clear high dpi scans to publishers/editors of period material and how to crop the same if needed . Yes, I  am a bit of a dinosaur . I still like to hold a print publication and view a page then have to look at a screen . One foot in the first half of the 20th century and the other slipping and sliding around in the second half.  I prefer things made from wood, brass, bronze, steel and type writers - like their keyboards better and they make a neat clackaty clack noise too. I do appreciate modern technology , am thankful for it too .

• Like 4

Thanks Gary,

3D models such as these do have an important use. I have used quite a few 3D vehicles for architectural renderings in REVIT and also Infraworks. Here is an example I put together a few years ago. This was produced in REVIT for a presentation. The sleds, log hauler and wagon are 3D models imported to populate the scene. I still prefer the relaxing work of hand renderings but I do love the flexibility and value added aspects of the 3D renderings.

1898262358_SledPavilionPoster.jpg.bc54107a1e1dacbb069911fc823161bb.jpg

And just for fun the completed structure.

20220512_083306.jpg.033f2d45d30dcd2de17d87be25586861.jpg

• Like 2

It looks like West identified the car used for modeling as J-350, formerly owned by his father in a different color scheme.

HUM3D did a better job on my Indy car project.  Here is a photo and a CAD rendering for comparison.  Accuracy depends highly on the quality of the inputs, and I supplied hundreds of photos and many CAD files of parts I had drawn in my CAD program.  And, yes, there are a few details different.

A particular use of the CAD models is to recreate damaged or missing parts from cars, or as in my case, an entire car.  Sections can be taken from the 3D models to make body bucks.  There are also 3D scanning services that can scan an entire car with sub-millimeter accuracy and provide a CAD file.  I've been scanned and 3D printed, and it didn't hurt a bit! 

177233489_StudebakerIndy25-3(Medium).PNG.d0e5ede1a1c79bed64c47ac59cbb25c0.PNG

CAD rendering of 1932 Studebaker Indy car from HUM3D files.

278338462_Studebaker1932Indy-GAsh.jpg.3a4f6b00c96140c06658c30daf44c9cc.jpg

The car finished.

1059798944_GandJfront.jpg.650f618b93ced1db41dac168c79faaac.jpg

A 3D print of me and my wife.

• Like 4

You can scan an early 30’s CCCA classic for less than 1700 dollars. It’s accurate less than a single millimeter. Scan two identical coach built cars………and they are much closer to each other than you would think………we actually did it earlier this year. It was a fun exercise.

• Like 1

Build, in the context of this forum, means (to me) putting together a car that represents the period, not a street rod or rat rod.  The chassis, engine, basic mechanical parts should be consistent.  The body?  An original if available, or make as much of it as needed.  There are many show cars that were reconstructed from very few original parts, e.g. a chassis and an engine block.  The danger, of course, is that someone claims it is a fully original car.  But, it's OK to enjoy what you have.  

• Like 3

On 11/8/2022 at 1:08 PM, Walt G said:

I recently completed a story on the history of the Willoughby Company and had access to some of their factory files. They never ever painted a car that color.

Walt's testimony above shows how important it is

to preserve historical records, and research them

thoroughly.  West's account of his father's ownership

further helps to define history.  Thank you, both.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:16 PM, West Peterson said:

...My father owned that car before it attained the ridiculous color scheme.