Odd looking back end

bob duffer

Not that you see a lot of those wagons but I have never noticed that before - the cover panel is missing in the picture but apparently it was the same for 57-59 Dodges but not the rest of the Mopar line.   I had to go looking to find more info and found this video, the spare tire is covered around the 11 min mark.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Would probably work fine unless the flat was on the right rear!😛

Makes you wonder how Mother Mopar made such a storage arrangement weathertight.

My guess is they didn't. I'll bet that compartment does not in any way lead to the interior. Think of a Chevrolet truck with the spare under the bed. It completely sucks if you have to actually use it, but what else are you gonna do?

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

1 hour ago, zeke01 said:

Having just  been to my wife’s 50th year high school reunion, I find nothing odd about this back end. 
Trying my best to be sensitive. Zeke

You know, that was my first thought too….my 50th+2 reunion was in September.  I couldn’t be there but the photos posted on line showed a lot of sand has shifted over the years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Our 1958 Plymouth wagon had that spare.

Where was the jack and tire wrench stored?  I have to think that the thought was that you could access the spare without having to empty out the back of the car.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

Where was the jack and tire wrench stored?  I have to think that the thought was that you could access the spare without having to empty out the back of the car.

If I remember correctly, the jack was up in over or forward of the spare tire. I could be incorrect about that. I was only 6 when we had it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Makes you wonder how Mother Mopar made such a storage arrangement weathertight.

The compartment doesn't need to be weathertight, just sealed at the top. The spare on my pickup is under the frame, out in the weather, and for that matter, so are all the other tires. 😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Our 1958 Plymouth wagon had that spare.

Was it a 9-passenger?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only the 9-passenger wagons had the outside-access spare.  My neighbors two doors away had a '57 Sierra wagon with that spare tire location.

Craig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Was it a 9-passenger?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only the 9-passenger wagons had the outside-access spare.  My neighbors two doors away had a '57 Sierra wagon with that spare tire location.

Craig

Yes, nine passenger with rear facing third seat. I remember the color as "Stardust Blue".

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1