Todays ride…….a Speed Six Bentley……….

edinmass

• edinmass changed the title to Todays ride…….a Speed Six Bentley……….
55 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Always liked the look of the old Bentley 3 & 4 1/2's, that one looks larger. Looking at cars or riding in one is fun. What is it like driving that one, do you worry about parts flying out of it and making odd sounds? 

Bob 

Bob, it’s a Big Boy Toy. Speed Six. Had a front end issues, and we fixed it up quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Good stuff takes three connecting rods to turn the camshaft, correct? 

Yes! Pure joy to drive. I’m not usually a foreign car type, but this car was exceptional.

• Thanks 1

Its actually no problem. Having driven equipment and other unusual vehicles, I don’t even notice the RHD at all. The center pedal gas is not a problem either…….for those not familiar, the pedal arrangement  is :

clutch    throttle    brake

The right hand shift isn’t a problem either.

FYI- for what it’s worth, a Speed Six W O Bentley is one of the absolute top pre war cars on the planet. Very, very few cars will run with it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed:

At higher altitudes than you are accustomed to drink much more water than usual.  The oxygen we need is extracted from the water rather than the thinner, high-altitude air.  I have to make this adjustment annually going from 1,330 feet above sea level to 9,500 feet above sea level when visiting family in Colorado.

Driving a Speed Six W.O. Bentley is a tough job, but someone has to do it...enjoy!

Steve

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

FYI- for what it’s worth, a Speed Six W O Bentley is one of the absolute top pre war cars on the planet. Very, very few cars will run with it.

---Except maybe a modern Honda Civic, a Hyundai Excel...

But those don't have the dashing style.

Don't worry, Ed, all your friends here will keep you humble!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Lots of power to haul my fat axx and big head! 😎

Ed:

Was this Bentley in a group tour in Colorado back in September?   We encountered six '20's Bentleys on Route 285 near Buena Vista one morning when I was visiting then.   Seeing them made my day...

Steve

Those big old Bentleys are magnificent cars. A few years ag9 the California Mille stopped in our little town. I hung around the next morning as they all got started. When they fired up the Bentley, everyone paid attention. A great loud brute.

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed:

Was this Bentley in a group tour in Colorado back in September?   We encountered six '20's Bentleys on Route 285 near Buena Vista one morning when I was visiting then.   Seeing them made my day...

Steve

Like most of my projects , this one has been sleeping for about 20 years. 

• Thanks 2

Will we see this one again? Are you sorting it for yourself or someone else? Looks like a fun ride no matter what. Must be tuff to enjoy the spoils of your hard work. But seeing you seem to know how to do this it must also be well deserved. 
dave s 

ps- not just buttering you up for a ride but it never hurts. 

On 10/23/2022 at 8:31 PM, M1842 said:

Looks like John Steed's car from the Avengers TV show!

I was just thinking that. I'm also thinking that "Mr. Steed" may have been television's first old car enthusiast. The series started before "My Mother the Car."

• Like 1

This is the Grand Champion Bentley Boattail Speedster, the winner of the 1984 Great American Race,  Univeral Studios in Hollowood to the Indy 500.

Built by Gary from a 1936 Saloon (Sedan) and navigated by John Classen, 9 Times Sports Car Club of America Champion Navigator.   He later became and still is the Director of Competition for the Great Race Organization, 38 years now.   Once while doing 85 MPH (In a Transit) in our 34 Ford V8, Gary passed us like we were standing still.

1627809310_GaryWales36Bentley.jpg.6d3af3e55012fa01a9d1e5f911ffde9b.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality.  It was more Maroon than red (Two tone) and aways spotless.