How to open a 1971 Buick Riviera trunk with a missing lock smith key entry

Don grymes

13 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

I'm guessing this Riv doesn't have a remote trunk release in the glovebox?

I didnt think about a remote, I would think a Riviera would have one. 

I stand corrected Bill, Like I said I have not done so before but have been told by many exactly what you stated as a way to get in.

• Like 1

If you can reach the tang of the lock (sticking through the latch) through the removed back seat area, just grab it with pliers and turn CCW! Then you can drill the rivets out and remove the trunk lock with no damage.👍

First I would look for the remote trunk switch.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Here are the two ways I have always entered GM vehicles 60'/70;s/80's without a trunk key :

First....If you look just below the lock itself (between the trunk lid & the tail panel), can you see the bottom of the 2 fingered clip that holds the lock in? It will have a single rivet head showing (if that area is open slightly). If you can see that rivet head use a flat screwdriver & a hammer to knock the head off the rivet. You can them pry down on the clip about a half an inch. You will then be able to pull the lock out of the trunk lid, The flat rod will also come out with the lock. stick the flat screw driver in the slot that was vacated by that flat rod & turn clockwise to open the trunk.

2nd way....Take out the lower & upper back seat, remove the cardboard that blocks noise coming in to the passenger compartment from the trunk. Shine your light to the area where the trunk lock is, you will see (3) 1/2 bolt heads in a triangular shape. Put a bunch or ratchet extensions together with a socket on the end & ratchet out those 3 bolts. That removes the latch from the trunk lid & it will then open up on its own!

I have used these methods probably hundreds of times as I used to sell body parts & took many off in "pull it yourself" junk yards down south. The 1st is the easiest IF there is access (some have it some don't)

Good Luck!

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Thank you, someone told me its electrical. So I am trying to see if there is a switch first

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Even if you "grab that tang" you CANNOT turn it with the trunk lock in place!

Hmm, I have an early Corvair trunk lock in my hand and yep, this design holds the tang to prevent turning. But, I have worked on GM trunk locks that did allow the tang to turn without the cylinder. This is how electric releases usually work. The 2015 Encore is one of these designs, just did open a tailgate with this method recently. 

Yes, key codes are stamped on most GM glove box lock cylinders, but usually inside, so it requires a locksmith familiar with the situation to get it apart. Check You Tube to see if the locks they take apart are like the 71 Rivera. If not, I can tell you how to get the earlier glove box locks apart without damage.

Yes, glove box locks only use 4 or so tumblers, so getting a key to open that glove box lock will not necessarily open the trunk, but the code stamped on the glove box lock is for all 6 tumbler cuts.

• Like 1

Pretty sure I was able to open a trunk by turning the tab on a 65 Chrysler parts car a few years ago.

I jury-rigged a tool on the end of a water pipe, took about a thousand tries to actually get the thing to line up as I was reaching those six feet or so.

I was disappointed that there was nothing of value in the trunk when I finally got it opened.

Oddly enough I think the only part I needed was the spring-loaded lock retainer.