Minnesota man's rare classic car expected to fetch $1M at auction. 1956 Mercury XM 100

Twisted Shifter

You have to wonder how such a unique vehicle fell into such a decrepit condition.  Luckily, it survived and the restorer saw the project through to completion...

1 minute ago, 63RedBrier said:

You have to wonder how such a unique vehicle fell into such a decrepit condition.  Luckily, it survived and the restorer saw the project through to completion...

Many of the show cars ended up in a junk yard outside of Detroit where Joe Bortz eventually rescued them.  This one was in better shape than many.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/joe-bortz

• Like 2

I followed that restoration in Old Cars Weekly. Great series of articles.

I think what's happened here is that, like many of us, the car's done, there's nothing left to do with it and he's looking for the next restoration challenge.

The paint is interesting. He found that it was a regular 1956 Ford color offering "Persimmon" and the show car glitz and glamour was achieved with a pearl topcoat.

• Like 1

I too have been following this build in Old Cars. That fellow did a remarkable job with the restoration of a very interesting car with some unique features. He has a website dedicated to it as well which has a lot of great photos of the process. He has developed a niche of restoring one off's. I would not be surprised at all to see it hit a million.

I was surprised there was never any mention of it on this forum!

I believe this is the same gentlemen who restored the beautiful Thunderbird Italien, another early sixties concept/show car that I saw for sale on eBay a while back (post restoration.) I don't know if that car sold at that time. If it did, it would be interesting to see what it went for.

60571_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

60571_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

• Like 1