No Reserve: 1974 Saab Sonett III

Behold my guilty pleasure.  Never sat in one and haven't stood next to one in years.  But since I was about 10 I thought they were pretty cool.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-saab-sonett-iii-7/

This 1974 Saab Sonett III is powered by a 1.7-liter V4 paired with a four-speed manual transaxle, and it is finished in red over tan upholstery. The car was refurbished under previous ownership and acquired by the seller on BaT in May 2017. Features include 15″ soccer-ball wheels, a Weber carburetor, dual glass sunroof panels, pop-up headlamps, aftermarket gauges, and a JVC CD stereo with auxiliary inputs. Service under current ownership included replacing the clutch, rewiring the fuel pump, and rebuilding the speedometer. This Sonett III is offered at no reserve in Canada with service records, an owner’s manual, service manuals, and Ontario registration.

No Reserve: 1974 Saab Sonett III

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No explanation needed. I have a secret crush on Fiat X19’s...  it could have been because they were beyond exotic in our little Midwestern town, or it could be because my best friends older sister had one when we were about 14 and she was 18.  She and all her friends were gorgeous.....we were the knucklehead fiends of her little brother.   I am careful about mentioning this crush around my car buddies. None of them take it well. 

I think you should buy this one and as many as you can and corner the market.... be King Sonett. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bloom said:

No explanation needed. I have a secret crush on Fiat X19’s...  it could have been because they were beyond exotic in our little Midwestern town, or it could be because my best friends older sister had one when we were about 14 and she was 18.  She and all her friends were gorgeous.....we were the knucklehead fiends of her little brother.   I am careful about mentioning this crush around my car buddies. None of them take it well. 

I think you should buy this one and as many as you can and corner the market.... be King Sonett.

Yes, they are practically free.   This one sold for 10k last time on BAT.   I've spent more on exhaust systems in the past.

The X19.  That is a blast from the past.   When I was a kid they were everywhere.  I don't think I've seen one live in 25 years.  Opel GT is a similar deal.

• Like 1

I'd Saab too if I had one!  

Sorry, couldnt resist. They are neat cars and def. unique. I am not sure I have ever seen on in person. I too like the X19's, theres one currently running around in my area, I see it about once a month or so. Of course I owned a Fiero  which was kinda like a rounded off version of one.

41 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I'd Saab too if I had one!  

Sorry, couldnt resist. They are neat cars and def. unique. I am not sure I have ever seen on in person. I too like the X19's, theres one currently running around in my area, I see it about once a month or so. Of course I owned a Fiero  which was kinda like a rounded off version of one.

Add the Fiero in with the others I mentioned.  Just a decade later.

I think I win this "contest" - at least for the time being......

I have, in the past, owned 2 Saab Sonett III's and 5 Opel GT's

They both are cool little cars and I would buy another one (or two) if they come up.

I have also owned a few 1972-1974 Mercury Capri's

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

They both are cool little cars and I would buy another one (or two) if they come up.

Got any pictures?

I was a huge 'Get Smart' fan and had an affection for the Opel GT when he started driving one (at least in the opening credits, LOL). I had a good friend in HS that bought one that was pretty clapped out, but it was still cool. Hadnt seen one in a long time.  When I moved to my current house the neighbor across the street had one in the very back of his yard on blocks. Not sure if its still there or not, kinda hard to see back there now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I’ve got you beat alsuncle.  I once, when I was about 20 or so sat in a 1967 Silver Sonett in a used car lot at a local import dealer.  Until the salesman came along anyway.  I couldn’t get out of one today without a come along to pull me out assuming I could get in. 

Sure you could get out. Just throw yourself on the ground and use the rocker panel to begin the assent.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Yes, they are practically free.   This one sold for 10k last time on BAT.   I've spent more on exhaust systems in the past.

The X19.  That is a blast from the past.   When I was a kid they were everywhere.  I don't think I've seen one live in 25 years.  Opel GT is a similar deal.

Once I was in a foreign car shop and noticed a X 1/9 Fiat. I asked the owner what the X1/9 stood for. He responded he believed it was indicating it being 1/9 of a car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In the early 80s a house not too far from us had 2 Ferraris and an X 1/9 Fiat.  Guy in neighborhood bought the Fiat assuming if they could maintain Ferraris the Fiat was likely in good shape.  I remember it was easy to stuff in the side of a slightly oversized 2 car garage and little else about it.

My pick of this litter is the Opel.  The Fiat is too much like a TR-7, which I have a lifelong grudge against for essentially killing the Triumph marque.

I used to know a guy who had a first generation Sonett which had the 3cyl 2 stroke. We used to joke that the county should pay him to drive it for mosquito abatement. 

Glad to see there are some many closeted foreign car folks here. (I have a Simca 8 Sport...you'll have to google it) 

• Like 2

A funny aside about Fiat X1-9’s.  My wife used to sell a lot in Flea Bay and several years ago I decided to thin my collection of manuals and books for cars I surely would never own again. One of the books I had was a repair manual for small Fiats( 128, 850, and X1-9).  She listed it and at first there was not much interest as I imagine most small Fiats of that era had rusted away by then. Still one person bid on it and met the little reserve.  My wife called me over after the sale was completed and said this is strange. What I asked? The buyer is in Italy.  She asked the buyer since the shipping to Italy was not cheap did he realize we were in the US?  He said yes he had been looking for a repair book for his car for a long time and apparently there were  none in Italy. So he paid and off it went.

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

My pick of this litter is the Opel.  The Fiat is too much like a TR-7, which I have a lifelong grudge against for essentially killing the Triumph marque.

This!  Glad to know I’m not the only one holding a grudge.....  mark 1 spitfire, tr6, tr4-250, Tr3, love them all, then along came  the home wrecker Tr7. 

I am constantly preaching the virtues of the look of a mark one spitfire as compared to a 507.  Striking visual similarities for two cents on the dollar (literally two cents on the dollar)

image.jpeg.2a6fdb0ba9c0e457ad7455154440d5d8.jpeg

image.jpeg.8fe460dedc02fb7a0077dfe713390642.jpeg

sorry for hijacking AJ....  those little Saab’s deserve a following.  I’m sure a well tuned one would be a fun ride in the rural backroads. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Bloom said:

This!  Glad to know I’m not the only one holding a grudge.....  mark 1 spitfire, tr6, tr4-250, Tr3, love them all, then along came  the home wrecker Tr7. 

I am constantly preaching the virtues of the look of a mark one spitfire as compared to a 507.  Striking visual similarities for two cents on the dollar (literally two cents on the dollar)

image.jpeg.2a6fdb0ba9c0e457ad7455154440d5d8.jpeg

image.jpeg.8fe460dedc02fb7a0077dfe713390642.jpeg

sorry for hijacking AJ....  those little Saab’s deserve a following.  I’m sure a well tuned one would be a fun ride in the rural backroads. 

I remember a Sonett ice racer that had a 911 engine sticking out of the hood! I bet that was fun! 

I owned a SAAB 96 2 cycle - an incredible amount of fun on dirt. Right hand alternating between shift lever and handbrake - do not let your thumb slip off the emergency brake button. . Great fun car. Shock towers rust out, clutch cable stop in firewall rusts out.... and more, unfortunately. 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:54 AM, Joe Cocuzza said:

Cool choices, Joe, and I applaud you !

Here are some of mine:

Years back I owned, daily-drove, and Ice-Raced a Saab 93 (3-cylinder & 2-Stroke cycle engine, and had to add oil to gas),

and later bought both a Saab 900S, and a Saab 9000s for my son to commute from New Orleans to South Padre Island, Texas to work offshore

but also owned and daily drove 10 different Citroens DS-21, D-21, 2-CV, Ami-6, SM, 15CV,

MG-TC,

Jaguar XK-120MC,

a Panhard Dyna,

and a Renault Dauphine,

as well as a Fiat Strada

Of all, the Maserati-engined quad overhead cam 5-speed Hydropneumatic suspension Citroen SM was the most amazing vehicle ever, bar none ! 

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1