For Sale - 1937 BUICK CENTURY - $5,700 (Gardena) - post deleted

Not Mine - a Buick aficionado needs to chime in on whether this model is so special...  (more pics in ad) - post deleted

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/gardena-1937-buick-century/7529578132.html

VERY RARE CALIFORNIA BUILT CAR! 3rd owner 1 of 450 ever built

This car (C304997) was built in the South Gate, Cal. plant. The 1-7-37 date on the firewall data plate is correct to the January frame serial number. [Firewall data plates, later in the year, were not stamped at the factory, but were sometimes stamped by the dealer, therefore confusing the build dates].

This Buick Century body style is known as model 67. There were 450 model 67 cars built at the So.Gate plant from Nov.1936 thru Jan.1937. The 4-door model 67 is called a plain back (slant back) as opposed to the model 61 trunk back (with a trunk hump), with fewer model 67's built.

A total of 4,750 model 67's were built at all plants for the 1937 model year. The body was built in Flint, Mich. and serialized for So.Gate assembly. Very early bodies were not so serialized.

The original body paint color was: Sudan Blue (ORIGINAL PAINT)

The original interior was: Tan Leather (Restored in the 50's)

The original wheel color was: Sudan Blue

This car has the late front wheel cylinders and early front suspension "A" frame arms.

The undercarriage has an undercoating on it - no rust on frame.

MECHANICAL
The motor runs really well - transmission shifts smoothly - clutch is new
New radiator
New electric fuel pump
Rebuilt carburetor
New brakes and brake lines
New rear main seal, but its still a little wet
Steering links are new but the steering box needs replacing
New starter - currently the car has a kill switch.
Brand new tires

EXTERIOR
Powder coat - front and rear bumper brackets, side steps, rims, headlight frames, shifter cover, battery cover, dashboard
Original Paint - sanded down and clear coated
New chrome bumpers, headlight, hubcaps & taillight bezels
The lights need to be wired up. The old dash wiring is still there and should be looked at
All lenses are in excellent shape with no cracks or fading.
Zero rust -- it was well preserved over the years. The frame has an undercoating on it and looks to be in excellent shape.

INTERIOR
All new floor pans were welded in. We coated the rear and trunk with heat cured polyuria to prevent any rust
We have ALL knobs, and handles for the dash. Speedo doesn't work. It does have a radio in it but the radio does not work.
Brand new steering wheel in great shape
I didn't touch the seats or carpet -- this would be the only thing the car needs. It looks like the seats were restored in the 50's.

$29k spent on this car so far -- I need to limit the projects and this one needs to go. Serious Buyers Only!

To Email ---- copy and paste into your email:
e4429b6e4a3a30aea996536d3b21db5c@sale.craigslist.org
contact name: Brian

text: (310) 367-03 four seven

eeerrr0100303_gyVXAvAR78uz_0pi0hW_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr0200g0g_4nTQMzZvdudz_0nK0hq_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr0400X0X_lLJS7AILhZ4z_0om0hW_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr0300404_156Md9mre2bz_0rc0hC_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr0500a0a_MO9xTfiyIAz_0sc0iw_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr0600T0T_9lY5LkjZq7Qz_0rE0iE_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr0700h0h_cQFvV0gEiayz_0ss0ik_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr0800V0V_5AzvbJflVq0z_0pw0i2_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr1000n0n_4VZ5ahRcgTNz_0hq0ia_1200x900.jpg

eeerrr0900808_7GPBwd5K8C6z_0e40io_1200x900.jpg

Edited by classiclines
ad deleted (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

$29K Spent so far? Pretty hard to believe. Too bad they sanded way the paint like that. 

Rat rod terminology, “sanded down and clear coated”….if 29k in, it was spent in the wrong places to the wrong people…in my opinion…

• Like 4

Nothing all that special. This model brings a little more money than a trunk back. The rare one is the two-door Century slant back, in its last year. 
Paint looks too dark for Sudan Blue.i

$29K into it, and asking $5.7K (which isn’t too bad a starting point for negotiation)? This guy’s a realist.

Okay for the seller has unwisely spent $29k and now any buyer  is gonna have to come with another $29k. I can only imagine the seller created all of those blemishes in the paint and calls it patina. What they created is doesn't convince me, moreover the use of the word patina is over used and doesn't apply in most cases

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I just don't get the whole clear coat the manufactured rust deal.  There is a guy here a couple hours south of Fort Worth that totally sanded his car to bare metal, then buffed that to a shine and now just "oils" it. It really shines like stainless but geeze on humid mornings it has to flash rust if the oil is thin

• classiclines changed the title to For Sale - 1937 BUICK CENTURY - $5,700 (Gardena) - post deleted