LaFrance fire truck

Xander Wildeisen

1947 (or newer) American LaFrance 

700 or possibly 800 Series Pumper

Wish I had to room to keep it, as it is similar to the one my Dad served on for the Linden (NJ) Fire Department - except that his was a closed cab. Our department actually bought two identical ones in 1947 when Dad went on the force. Great memories ! 

When I went to work at the Meridian,MS FD June 1,1978 we had 3 of those.I'm 90% certain they were all 1953 models because I was told they were purchased at the same time.They were all reserves but were used quite frequently when the first line pumpers were being serviced or repaired.They all had a large brass bell mounted on the front bumper with a rope going into the cab to pull and ring the bell.They were declared surplus and auctioned off in the mid 1980's.

18 minutes ago, Andy J said:

When I went to work at the Meridian,MS FD June 1,1978 we had 3 of those.I'm 90% certain they were all 1953 models because I was told they were purchased at the same time.They were all reserves but were used quite frequently when the first line pumpers were being serviced or repaired.They all had a large brass bell mounted on the front bumper with a rope going into the cab to pull and ring the bell.They were declared surplus and auctioned off in the mid 1980's.

Yes, the Linden, NJ pair of 700 Series closed cab 1947 pumpers were also auctioned off before I became aware. They also bought a later series ariel and a hook & ladder, but always kept to very early series solid tire hand-crank ALF with the tiller (I once steered the tiller when they moved it from storage to (the original) House #1 on S. Wood Ave. .

Ah the good old day's of open cab fire vehicles and firefighters riding the back step at 60 MPH. When I joined the F.D. in 1971 one of the engine companies in the city still had an open cab pumper. They have pictures of the engine fighting a fire in the middle of a blizzard and the cab filled with snow.

• Thanks 1

open cab fire vehicles were made so that the driver, when pulling into the scene could get an overall view of any obstacle that may impede putting the fire out. Ladder trucks have to be placed so far from a building for safety and also for reachability. Down fall was the northern states that received snow, cab area had to be covered or shoveled out after the incident.