For Sale: 1963 CHEVY CORVETTE SPLIT WINDOW - $65k deleted - auction over

Not Mine - not sure about this ad - wish I was local to check it out - <<<post deleted - likely sold - $65,000>>>

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/tehachapi-1963-chevy-corvette-split/7525185882.html

1963 CHEVY CORVETTE SPLIT WINDOW. CAR IS ALL STOCK. 327 ENGINE, 4 SPEED. NEW TIRES, RIMS,
NICE HUB CAPS. DARK BLUE, WITH BLACK INTERIOR. LOW MILEAGE, HAS BEEN IN STOREAGE FOR MANY YEARS. GAS TANK WAS REMOVED FOR CLEANING, MUST BE RE-INSTALLED TO DRIVE. HAVE BUMPERS, AND MOST PARTS.

LOW MILEAGE CAR.

PHONE CALLS ONLY 805-320-43 one zero

ac0101111_63Cyz9CdbJcz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

ac0200f0f_6tPEIvo5YPrz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

ac0300I0I_5Led4Wyc5eiz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

ac0500E0E_fXPtiDyugSmz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

ac0700I0I_2r2N647FmpTz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

0ac060606_xWR4jyjgO0z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

ac0401414_b0eed7AlyeEz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

ac0800303_jhNqPAdRZNvz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by classiclines
update (see edit history)

I'm not a Corvette expert, but the asking price for this unrestored car seemed a little high.

What is a restored '63 coupe selling for these days? $65K plus restoration cost means the car would be practical to restore only if it is worth at least $150K.

is that the going price?

7 hours ago, RansomEli said:

I'm not a Corvette expert, but the asking price for this unrestored car seemed a little high.

What is a restored '63 coupe selling for these days? $65K plus restoration cost means the car would be practical to restore only if it is worth at least $150K.

is that the going price?

Timely question - in six days we will know the answer...  Blue one listed on Bring-a-Trailer...

Not Mine - 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split-Window Coupe 327 4-Speed

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-chevrolet-corvette-193/

ddd011963_chevrolet_corvette_20220722_124108-50742.webp

My wife always wanted a split window, I lucked into a nice one and bought for her.  Original engine, automatic (don't laugh, the automatic would fly, it shifted into high gear quickly and one was gone to the races).  The kicker is that one needs to understand that, to bring the best bucks, a Corvette has to have correctly dated, ummm, everything.  1963 was a one year only master cylinder, figure hundreds to find an original IF you can.  All the little pieces and big pieces dated and must be in a range (say, October build, then pieces must be August-September dated).  It's agonizing to get the correct pieces, and very expensive in some cases.

Just like buying an early (1909-1913 or so) Model T, you better have someone standing by you who knows the cars inside and out.  A super buy on a 1963 Corvette can turn into a down payment on finding the correct parts, correctly dated, and believe me, some of the people spending big bucks know what's what.

We sold the Corvette at Hershey about 8 years ago, one of the people close to me in the car corral thought my asking price was crazy, and he told me so,  but his eyebrows raised when I sold it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

My wife always wanted a split window, I lucked into a nice one and bought for her.  Original engine, automatic (don't laugh, the automatic would fly, it shifted into high gear quickly and one was gone to the races).  The kicker is that one needs to understand that, to bring the best bucks, a Corvette has to have correctly dated, ummm, everything.  1963 was a one year only master cylinder, figure hundreds to find an original IF you can.  All the little pieces and big pieces dated and must be in a range (say, October build, then pieces must be August-September dated).  It's agonizing to get the correct pieces, and very expensive in some cases.

Just like buying an early (1909-1913 or so) Model T, you better have someone standing by you who knows the cars inside and out.  A super buy on a 1963 Corvette can turn into a down payment on finding the correct parts, correctly dated, and believe me, some of the people spending big bucks know what's what.

We sold the Corvette at Hershey about 8 years ago, one of the people close to me in the car corral thought my asking price was crazy, and he told me so,  but his eyebrows raised when I sold it.  

David, your input is right on the money about how picky they get in the corvette world. I have had a couple and currently l a # matching 65 coupe.  I am not willing to chase all the minute details down, but some people just love it. 
63’s bring some additional challenges.  I have a buddy and we own a few cars together. He had a very special low miles , unhit, original paint, manual 63 fuelie coupe.  It seemed perfect but he spent a couple years making sure every detail was 63 correct. He then did NCRS top flight, Bloomington Gold, Vette fest, triple crown.  I was with him the day he excitedly put the correct aluminum cap on the radiator overflow tank...  400 dollars. It looked like a 2 dollar part. 

he sold it (not cheap), he was afraid to drive it.  He has a top flight 63 roadster he enjoys and drives a lot. He would tell you the fuelie coupe was a fun experience.  That is ultimately all that matters. 

something I think we can all appreciate is he had mentioned that the interesting people he met through that car were one of the reasons he says it was all worth it. 

• Like 1

I sold mine in 1989 to finance a house purchase for around $20,000. Kept track of it as it stayed local. Offered current owner $90k. He turned it down.

I don't have the $ 90k but a friend does and he wanted it. It has never been restored, but needs it.

Although the BAT car has a replacement engine, it is the 340 hp version. On the other hand, the barn find may be the 250 hp version if the air cleaner is any indicator. The ad doesn’t specify original engine though.
IF the two were equal in condition and IF the barn find has it’s original engine, I would opt for the 250 hp car because of the original engine. I like original. One other point, the BAT car has the 340 hp which is a solid lifter engine and does require periodic adjustment. Not so with the 250 hp. 
One other note, at a cruise or local show, I bet the barn find as it sits would generate more interest from us “common folk” than the nice shiny BAT car.

• Like 1

• classiclines changed the title to For Sale: 1963 CHEVY CORVETTE SPLIT WINDOW - $65,000 (Tehachapi) - post deleted

Well, it seems one or two 'apparently' knowledgeable corvette folks are critiquing the BAT car down to the screws and springs...   ...the BAT car apparently not as original as you may have concluded from the auction write-up or early Seller comments...   It will be interesting to see where/how this goes,,, still 3 days to go in auction.

One day to go...  Seller getting nervous...  Drove car out to the airport...  Shot a 30 sec video walk around of the car...  Added music to video: theme from TopGun - Maverick...    However, he didn't practice holding the camera steady for the walk-around, so, you may get seasick watching the video...  you are warned:

The BAT car sold for $111,000.   Non-numbers matching and some spots of corrosion underneath.  And according to a split-window aficionado, these items:

Air cleaner installed backwards
AM only radios on early cars like this one.
Rear bearing housing are not 1963 style
Strut rod bushing are shot
Lower shock washers are incorrect
Oil dip stick is incorrect
Valve cover hold down screws are incorrect.
Should not have power steering on a 340hp car.
Incorrect oil pan
Incorrect oil fill tube and cap
Antifreeze reservoir and cap both incorrect
Antifreeze reservoir retaining screws installed upside down
Hose to radiator incorrectly routed
Missing idler for second belt.
Missing some ignition shielding and all heat shields for plugs
Top ignition shielding is incorrect year.
Rear spring is incorrect for 1963
Strut retainer under the differential is not correct for a 1963
Rusty u-joint cap clips (mostly missing) on the axle shaft u-joint. (Since the axle is also a suspension part on the early corvette this is risky to leave unattended)
Ballast resister incorrect
Return spring on hood latch should not be there
Fuel filter missing retaining screw
Water pump incorrect.
Hole rusted completely through on cross-member where exhaust passes through.
Missing jack, jack handle and spare tire lock
Frame is suspect. Packed with debris and appears to be thin. 

So, I'm sure Seller wanted more, but Buyers were given benefit of 'anonymous' critiques...   ...typical of BAT...

If the original car I posted was 'all-stock' as advertised, I think it may have been good value

Hope everyone has a good Labor Day weekend!!!

• Like 1

• classiclines changed the title to For Sale: 1963 CHEVY CORVETTE SPLIT WINDOW - $65k deleted - auction over