Just a heads-up - Charles Duncan scammer. Buyers beware

Str8-8-Dave

I received an E-mail from a Charles Duncan that looked pretty official, it had a hyperlink to an old post I had done looking for 31 Buick heat riser parts.  The general drift was Mr. Duncan wanted to know if I was still interested in the parts prompting me to respond with an E-mail stating I was still looking for one part, attaching a marked JPEG picture of the part I was looking for, inquiring if he had the part and how he wanted to be paid for it if he had one to sell.  I told him if he wanted a check to tell me who to make the check to and to send the address to mail it to. 

Today I got a second E-mail with a picture of a hot-rodded, highly altered but nice looking complete 1932 Buick model 67 sedan.  Mr. Duncan stated he was going to completely part the car due to upcoming surgery and asked me to send a list of the parts I wanted and my address, supposedly just so he knew how far he would have to ship parts.  At this point I became suspicious the only pending surgery was going to be on my wallet.  I didn't answer the second E-mail.  A query of his name on the AACA message page produced no Charles Duncan.

I'm pretty sure I caught on to a scammer but found the approach somewhat novel.   Has anyone else been approached this way- E-mail with an AACA hyperlink?

Cheers

Dave  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

I'm pretty sure I caught on to a scammer but found the approach somewhat novel.   Has anyone else been approached this way- E-mail with an AACA hyperlink?

So many people have been approached about like this I have lost count, and I only know about the cases where it has been spoken of afterward in the forums. The reason these people want to take it to Email or somewhere else off of the forum is to thwart any efforts on the part of the AACA to stop it. The name and contact info they use will turn out to be fake, or more likely stolen from some real person who has no involvement.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Just a heads-up - Charles Duncan scammer. Buyers beware

Why they post a picture of a good car they have to part out always amazes me. No one in their right mind would part such a car out, so it is an instant giveaway of a scam.

• Like 1

I find most web scams so easy to spot..it's ones own desperation that blinds one to fall for it.

I read many of these praises of how wonderfull an honest  old car people are, but if your in it long enough you find a fare share of deviousness as with anything else...

It's more hard on the diehard faithful and  trusting folk..who once you no longer try to trust folks...whats the point...the world just sucks...so crawl under a rock or keep trusting and probably loosing .

I've been burned more from inperson car parts dealings of buying parts then.any internet buying..

And from  dealers of new parts .

They get a bad batch of T parts from the supplier..they know the stufff is crap but offer it anyway..though it is unusable.

"So I should get stuck.with it?" Was the response of a well known "T"parts supplier. 

It's about 65% works out

.and 35% you'll loose ,so budget that in.LOL.

In over 45 years ,for cars I was seriously rebuilding...each has at least a 1000 to 1500 bucks of crap that was no good and couldn't use.

Once I got completely screwed from the get go from a guy rebuilding clutch disks in Hemmings in the late 80s..specializing in recorking.Hudson -Essex-Terraplane dicks..

Then ,it cost about 35 -40 bucks with returned shipping included.

That was the last I saw of that clutch disk...HE WAS GONE. I wasn't the only one. Anyone remember that mess?

As you see I have not recovered from the mail order rebuilding of parts that came out unusable.. Thats another type of scam many have to deal with.

SUCKERS! gulp...guilty.

Sorry for the disjointed ramble( thats part of the fun) we are grinding valves on a Maxwell..!

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dear people

I want to buy 5 years ago a Ford coupe 1932 on trovit cars (America)

I gave him 9000 dollar (England)

The other half I want to pay a half year later

i checking everything 

I emailed him but no response 

so I lost 9000 dollar

THis people please put them a long time in prison

I hate the way how they steal money from honest hard working people

that's not why young people (soldier) where dying for from the good country's in the second world war

Government and websites have to do more about this problem

thanks and enjoy

herman de boer

the Netherlands 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herman de boer said:

...so I lost 9000 dollar

THis people please put them a long time in prison

Herman, we are all sorry to hear that.

That is why wrong-doing should be exposed on

this forum and elsewhere.

Don't worry:  God's justice ALWAYS works.  It works

around the world and across national boundaries.

Until he reforms--and follows up with right action,

even paying back what he stole--he will never be safe.

His life will be miserable.  You can be assured. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Herman, we are all sorry to hear that.

That is why wrong-doing should be exposed on

this forum and elsewhere.

Don't worry:  God's justice ALWAYS works.  It works

around the world and across national boundaries.

Until he reforms--and follows up with right action,

even paying back what he stole--he will never be safe.

His life will be miserable.  You can be assured. 

Thanks 🙏

It's a bad feeling in my body

They don't have the right moraal

I'm a positive person

We need positive around

We have to keep going on

Enjoy living

Herman