dist wrenches

jp1gt

I remember when I discovered there were actually wrenches made for distributor bolts, and saved my money waiting for the tool truck to come by the auto tech school... these wrenches beat fumbling with a box wrench or socket and universal hands down!👨‍🔧

Nice set. GLWS.

For most cars a standard box-end wrench works fine, but their are certain cases where one of those distributor wrenches make life much easier.  My cars all fall into the first category, but I'd definitely invest in a specialty wrench if I owned one with a 'hidden' distributor clamp bolt.

14 hours ago, EmTee said:

I don't see a dedicated 'tools' section

I think the forum members would benefit greatly if an "Automotive Tool Section" was included.  Listings of how to use special tools with photos and a buy/sell section for hub pullers, testing equipment, special wrenches, jacks, and even hand cranks would be very helpful.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

For most cars a standard box-end wrench works fine, but their are certain cases where one of those distributor wrenches make life much easier.  My cars all fall into the first category, but I'd definitely invest in a specialty wrench if I owned one with a 'hidden' distributor clamp bolt.

Except for Buicks and six-cylinder Chevrolets, GM engines didn't fit into that "most cars" category!

Mopar V8s were even worse. At least GM had those neat window distributors to adjust points. Still didn't keep me from getting zapped a few times trying to get the points adjusting tool into the allen screw...😬😳🤯

jp1gt, if I didn't already have four of these I rarely use anymore, we'd talk.

My GP is certainly not as easy to reach as my Riviera is, but it's not awful.  If I had a distributor wrench I'd probably use it on my Pontiac, but it's not so bad that I would go out and buy one just for it...

Old or orphan 12 point box wrench. 14" or so of 3/8 steel rod with 4" bent into a 90 deg angle. Cut off box end of wrench & weld to end of rod. I have 3 of them. Just used the 9/16 last week removing the Vette dist. First time I used one in at least 10 years. Since all my cars have pertronix modules I never need to lay on my belly over the engine bay to dick with the distributor..........Bob

I have had a lot of stuff stored in my wife's horse barn and she said 5 years is long enough. She forgets that when we met and decided to move her to my place I had to convert 2 car stalls into horse stalls. Horses are like cars, it is a lifestyle. Anyway I have been sorting and selling stuff. I want to sell them all at one time, I will see what ebay can do!!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 8:17 AM, Bhigdog said:

Old or orphan 12 point box wrench. 14" or so of 3/8 steel rod with 4" bent into a 90 deg angle. Cut off box end of wrench & weld to end of rod. I have 3 of them. Just used the 9/16 last week removing the Vette dist. First time I used one in at least 10 years. Since all my cars have pertronix modules I never need to lay on my belly over the engine bay to dick with the distributor..........Bob

I'm just glad you took a second to word that correctly.

Things could have got out of hand real quick if a couple of words were moved around ;) 

Like Bob, I too don't like hanging my belly (and other parts) over the engine bay if at all possible.

Those do come in handy on trucks, some of the taller trucks especially but breaking them up individually is advised. I doubt they'll sell as a lot unless you find that mechanic who works on timing trucks daily, then it's a must. 
Wait... what year is it again? 

All I can say is that you folks either don't tune your cars very often, or you primarily have stuff that's too new. Even my newest vehicles have distributors and I use my distributor wrenches often enough that I'm glad I have them. With the exception of my 62 F85 with the Buick-derived 215, all my vehicles have rear distributors with access problems.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 12:14 AM, joe_padavano said:

All I can say is that you folks either don't tune your cars very often, or you primarily have stuff that's too new. Even my newest vehicles have distributors and I use my distributor wrenches often enough that I'm glad I have them. With the exception of my 62 F85 with the Buick-derived 215, all my vehicles have rear distributors with access problems.

But even the 215 with front mounted distributor has access problems as the bolt is tucked under the distributor body. I am fighting with one at the moment on my ‘63 Buick Skylark and using a 1/2 x 9/16 open ended spanner bent to 90 degrees. A proper wrench would be nicer and stop me burning my pinkies! 😀😀😀😀😀

I think a Buick engineer said, “Let’s put the hold down bolt here so the clamping force is to our specifications. Don’t worry too much about accessibility, that will be the mechanics problem in the future. Go figure … moving it half an inch  to one side would make it soooooo much easier 

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

18 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

I think a Buick engineer said, “Let’s put the hold down bolt here so the clamping force is to our specifications. Don’t worry too much about accessibility, that will be the mechanics problem in the future. Go figure … moving it half an inch  to one side would make it soooooo much easier 

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Try changing the headlight bulbs on some modern cars.  The labor time can run into 12 hours as you need to remove the front facia of the car to make the change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Try changing the headlight bulbs on some modern cars.  The labor time can run into 12 hours as you need to remove the front facia of the car to make the change.

I had a fleet mechanic tell me he needed my work truck over night to do the job for a bulb that went out recently.  I laughed and said, "oh wait, you're serious"... with a stern face he said "I'm dead serious". 

See the source image