What is the weight of a 1931 LaFrance Fire Engine

karen1977

Fire trucks were usually special ordered. Wheelbase could vary by ten feet or more. Pumpers, tankers, hoses, ladders, all sorts of required special accoutrements. How much of it is still there? Basic chassis for the big trucks could be anywhere from nearly two to four tons (without getting into the really big boy stuff!). Basic body another half to two tons. Additional equipment if there anywhere from nothing to several tons. A small fire chief's "car" could be a bit less?

ALF engines alone are usually rather heavy.

A good photo might get an educated guess? Otherwise?

Regardless, welcome to the site for antique automobile and truck history!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, karen1977 said:

... approximate weight of a 1931 American La France? 

Sorry I can't help either, but this sounds like an interesting saga to follow. Might be nice to know "from" and "to" locations, what method of transport you are planning (truck, train, Ship??). Some photos of the fire truck being loaded and then some enroute pictures and information. There might be some good stories along the way.

I look forward to your project and progress...and good luck!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ILIKECARS53 said:

I believe Karen1977 is asking for the weight of the engine only not the whole truck.  

I doubt it.  "Fire engine" denotes the entire vehicle.

Mike Stearns' answer is the most helpful so far;

let's see whether there are any other knowledgeable owners.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone, 

Yes I'm asking for the entire vehicle / ladder truck. Gorgeous btw I'm adding some pictures. 

My best friend bought one, the truck is in New Jersey and he is trying to figure out how to ship it / transport it to Frankfort, Michigan.

He is trying to figure out the weight, because he doesn't know if he should get someone to ship it or just go and tow it with his truck on a trailer. But all of this depends on the weight and how hard would be for him to do it.

We have been trying to find the weight in google but no luck. 

Make American LaFrance
Model Ladder Truck
Year 1931
Type Fire Truck

Thank you!!

Karen

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

image1.PNG

Now, THAT is my idea of a firetruck! Beautiful!

And yes, THAT one will be on the "high side" of the "heavy side"!

Will probably need a big equipment lowboy trailer for that? Might be able to find someone through the antique truck clubs? They have shows all across the country, and some really big stuff gets transported to those shows.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 3:01 PM, karen1977 said:

Hi everyone, by any chance anyone knows the approximate weight of a 1931 American La France? 

Trying to ship one. 

Thanks

Karen 

Karen, if all fails contact our (AACA Library & Research Center) at 717-534-2082.  Not sure if they still retain the SPAAMFEA collection.  The collection of their Fire Fighting equipment archives is rather large and they entrusted our library to house it.

or...About - SPAAMFAA - Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus in America

Never know.

Peter J.