1915 Crane Simplex

JV Puleo

I came across this photo today. It's in the Alden Handy photo album and was taken at Larz Anderson Park in 1951 so it's almost certain that the car has survived. Hopefully, it's been left alone as it appears to be in remarkable unrestored condition.

127762341_1915CraneSimplex.jpg.d05e96919e573365b0e6aa8d1324930d.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I came across this photo today. It's in the Alden Handy photo album and was taken at Larz Anderson Park in 1951 so it's almost certain that the car has survived. Hopefully, it's been left alone as it appears to be in remarkable unrestored condition.

127762341_1915CraneSimplex.jpg.d05e96919e573365b0e6aa8d1324930d.jpg

71 years is a long time, but I imagine at least one of those vintage cars in the photo has been preserved, and still looks as it did in 1951, though for safety reasons, I'd expect the tires & inner tubes would have been changed at some point.

Craig

The grille was an option and not just on that car. Austin Clark owned the Simplex Company, took the time in the early 1950s to do the research and found it still existing although a dormant name and none being built. He bought the right to the name so if he wanted could produce a car. He also had a roster of all the Simplex cars including the Crane model 5 cars like this. As late as the early 1990s the car still existed but I can't recall where, and it was mostly as you see it in that photo. Austin was at that event at Larz Anderson park and took photo of the car and noted who owned it at the time. Also the series 11 Franklin touring next to it still exists as well.

Several high end luxury cars when new ( built in the 1914-24 era) had their normal factory issue radiator shell /shape reworked to reflect what they wanted , mostly done in the NY metropolitan area by shops in NY City ( Manhattan) . A good number of these were pictured in the auto pages section of The Sportsman, The Spur and Vanity Fair magazines in the social society section. Auto author Eric Hatch had a regular column on the auto activity of the wealthy in those - he eventually retired to western Ct. and that was where he lived when he passed away. Other automobile focused magazines ( mostly obscure titles sold in the NY City and New England major cities) would have a page showing the latest cars being built and name who they were designed and made for - all of this in the pre 1932 era.

WG

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Walt G for the reminiscing. That 1920's era was a unique period for people with big money. Their choices for cars, houses and other symbols of wealth left us with some superb mansions, yachts and cars such as these. 100 years from now I suppose that 2120 generation driving around in their 1000 pound EV pods will look back on the Supercars of today and think about how wealthy and extravagant their owners must have been.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

100 years from now I suppose that 2120 generation driving around in their 1000 pound EV pods will look back on the Supercars of today and think about how wealthy and extravagant their owners must have been.

The Sultan of Brunei comes to mind.

Craig

• Like 1

You are welcome. When I look at the older cars we love, I automatically also think of the environment that they were in when new : where ( what location - city or rural) , when ( the time from 1915 to 1926 era saw a lot of $ here in the USA due to the manufacture and supply of items for Europe , before , during and after the 'Great War' aka WWI. The economic and political affects of commerce, expansion ( willing to take a chance to) , and accommodation to be able to move goods ( which was by steam ship and rail mostly) .

I am a registered historian of local and state history as well which is beyond my auto history interest. Have been for many decades, so perhaps look at things a bit differently then many authors and historians. I have always tried to take into account things that may seem very minor to others but in fact played a major part of the design, build, and cost of the vehicles we hold in highest regard. I also have been fortunate to be able to talk in person with many people involved with the auto industry from factory test drivers, draftsman, engineers, publicity people, and the sub contract companies they owned and supplied car makers with. I am a good listener - was told that by Rudy Creteur of Rollston/Rollson as well as a good number of former employees on all levels of long defunct auto companies. I was in the right place at the right time some of this 50 years ago.

• Like 4

That’s Pauline snook’s car. She and her husband Frank ran a service station in Schodack Center, ny.  There’s a pic of them in another crane simplex they owned w a cape top in the ccca thread for this marque. -there are many pictures of her in that car at various meets in 50’s in club books of the era. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

"The grille was an option and not just on that car."...

"Several high-end luxury cars when new (built in the 1914-24 era) had their normal factory issue radiator shell /shape reworked to reflect what they wanted, mostly done in the NY metropolitan area by shops in NY City (Manhattan)."

WG

Walt:

Interesting that they chose a classic Palladian, Rolls-Royce-style radiator shell for their expensive luxury motorcar to boost its prestige recognition...didn't we see that happen in the 1970's as well...

Steve 

Steve, yes it was done in the 1970s as well to convert Chevrolet's into "Custom Clouds" or some such generous words written by the advertising department of "Gotta Sell Dis Inc."

I think the earlier version was so much better and wasn't just a paste on metal nose, it actually functioned and also guess the cost to have the radiator made and he hood remade or modified to fit was nothing short of 3 months or more total wage for the average working class bloke.  But the cost and build of the body alone was equal to what a new house with 3 or 4 bedrooms would have been in a decent neighborhood.

Walt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Steve, yes it was done in the 1970s as well to convert Chevrolet's into "Custom Clouds" or some such generous words written by the advertising department of "Gotta Sell Dis Inc."

They even made a R-R grille and lid for a VW Beetle in those years.

As I recall, Custom Cloud got sued by R-R for trademark infringement over their Monte Carlo conversions, forcing them to modify it somewhat.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you JV for posting this picture of Pauline Snook's 1915 custom bodied coupe, car number 2210.  The Rolls-Royce style radiator shell on this car was a custom made option and was reported to have been manufactured by the Winchester rifle company. If anyone out there knows about the whereabouts or ownership of this vehicle, please contact me.

I hope you don't mind but I have added this picture to my blog post about this car and the history of the Simplex Crane model 5.

Here is a link to that post:

https://www.1916simplex.com/post/history-and-important-information-of-the-simplex-crane-model-5

On 7/15/2022 at 1:24 PM, PartsAncient said:

Thank you JV for posting this picture of Pauline Snook's 1915 custom bodied coupe, car number 2210.  The Rolls-Royce style radiator shell on this car was a custom made option and was reported to have been manufactured by the Winchester rifle company. If anyone out there knows about the whereabouts or ownership of this vehicle, please contact me.

I hope you don't mind but I have added this picture to my blog post about this car and the history of the Simplex Crane model 5.

Here is a link to that post:

https://www.1916simplex.com/post/history-and-important-information-of-the-simplex-crane-model-5

I am skeptical of the Winchester rifle company story. In 1915 Winchester was running flat out as a result of WWI. However, at an earlier date they did announce that they would be building Hotchkiss automobiles. They had a long-running relationship with B.B. Hotchkiss who, even though his cars were French, was an American (from Connecticut...where Winchester was located) and prolific arms designer. So, while unlikely, it is possible. Prior to the outbreak of WWI Winchester was making all sorts of things to keep their workmen busy. Some place I have a pair of Winchester ice skates that belonged to my mother...

If you would like a higher resolution scan of that photograph send me an email address in a PM and I'll forward it. I reduce the resolution of posted photos to save band width since the computer can't display the higher resolution in any case.