First project-‘29 GMC Stake Truck(T-30?)

29GMC

I got my first project truck and am pretty excited to start working on it.  This truck was my wife’s grandfathers truck.  It was on the road last about 25 years ago but to my knowledge he started it up every now and then.  Gas tank is drained with no rust.  I have a few questions

can anyone identify the model? We apparently have a title somewhere but the estate is not finalized and they are not sure where it is. 

Second, I know it’s a hot debate so here it goes… add a lead additive or not, or marvels mystery oil, or any other additive?  I plan on running non ethanol gas.  

DF035500-A275-4FD3-8C57-A53240422809.jpeg

2740CBBB-A785-49CD-9FE0-8B058240CD97.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice "survivor" even if it has a later GM engine. Personally I would limit work to getting it mechanically good for driving, such as having a mechanic do a careful refurbish of engine (clean, flush, compression test, points, plugs/wires, new oil flush rad new coolant, etc) transmission/rearend, attention to brakes, attention to wheels and tires, lights/horn working (maybe a $5K-$10K rebuild). Then enjoy the attention you'll get every time you confidently back it out of the garage. If you start a full restoration, add another $30K. Of course a good wash and tidyup is allowed!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

...Personally I would limit work to getting it mechanically good for driving, such as having a mechanic do a careful refurbish of engine... Then enjoy the attention you'll get every time you confidently back it out of the garage. 

Gunsmoke gives knowledgeable advice.

You can restore the truck if you like the excellence

and freshness of a new-looking vehicle, but these days,

original cars and trucks will bring more attention at a show

than just about any restored example.  People appreciate

seeing what came out of the factory in 1929, just as 

something from King Tut's tomb is more interesting than

if a museum repainted it!

• Like 2

I have stated on here before with the debate of restore/leave it alone. I think a vehicle needs to be assessed for what it is in the decision to restore. With this truck, I think getting the running gear safe and reliable, clean up the outside a bit and you have a winner there!!

• Like 1

As low as that engine's compression ratio is, a lead additive isn't needed. Leaded fuel wasn't common back then anyway. NE fuel is a good plan.

Marvel oil, ATF as Pfeil suggests, or any top cylinder lubricant will be ok.

Get it running and safe to drive and enjoy it. You can do the cosmetic restoration later if you like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

I'm no GMC expert, but I'll bet the Pontiac engine is original.

https://www.olsonsgaskets.com/gaskets/gmc-truck-with-split-head-pontiac-six/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_straight-6_engine#223_Pontiac/GMC

The ignition distributor was mounted on top of the block in the gap between the heads. This engine was also used in GMC's T-10 and T-11 (their two lightest trucks) beginning in 1928.[1] Development of the engine shared characteristics with the Oldsmobile Straight-6 engine, as GM worked together to develop the engine for Pontiac combined with the resources of GM-Northway Motor and Manufacturing Division.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bloo said:

I'm no GMC expert, but I'll bet the Pontiac engine is original.

@29GMC Clearly a period correct engine for that truck.  If you let me know the serial number of the block we can probably tell what year engine it is.  The serial number would be on the driver side of the block just above the dipstick.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 6:29 PM, 29GMC said:

I got my first project truck and am pretty excited to start working on it.  This truck was my wife’s grandfathers truck.  It was on the road last about 25 years ago but to my knowledge he started it up every now and then.  Gas tank is drained with no rust.  I have a few questions

can anyone identify the model? We apparently have a title somewhere but the estate is not finalized and they are not sure where it is. 

Second, I know it’s a hot debate so here it goes… add a lead additive or not, or marvels mystery oil, or any other additive?  I plan on running non ethanol gas.  

DF035500-A275-4FD3-8C57-A53240422809.jpeg

2740CBBB-A785-49CD-9FE0-8B058240CD97.jpeg

I believe your truck is a composite built cab. If the wood is in good condition I suggest leave as is. Just take care of the running gear and brakes. Great original truck. 

Here is my 1929 Dodge Bros 3/4 ton. This was a frame off restoration.

FC3FFF89-9047-431D-9103-0420448E79AA.jpeg.0c429eca7c96bf26103ca9d4a98910c3.jpeg

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I doubt the Pontiac is original.  I know that in 1929 GMC used Buick engines in their trucks.  Maybe the buyer had choices?

Apparently, you didn't read what 1939_BUICK provided for us;

https://www.olsonsgaskets.com/gaskets/gmc-truck-with-split-head-pontiac-six/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_straight-6_engine#223_Pontiac/GMC

Yes, they came with BUICK but also PONTIAC and also OLDSMOBILE at some point in time.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1