Seat springs for a 1930 Gar Wood speedboat

yachtflame

It seems that the members here have a diversified list of interests and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I’m in the middle of the restoration of a 1930 Gar Wood 28’ Triple and am trying to find a source for the seat springs. No springs came with the boat, so there’s nothing to use as a pattern. I was hoping someone might know of a craftsmen or company in the North East that might be able to make these for me.

Wayne

I did the decks and interior some 30 years ago but now that I’m “on the beach” here in MA, I figured it was time to do the bottom. And with the hip bone connected to the thigh bone theory, I removed the sides, then chines and keel and since I was there, I decided to replace the bottom 5 pieces of each frame where the oil had saturated over its 90 years of existence. 
 So now I’m in the bottom replacing portion of the program. Here’s a couple photos with the last being what’s it’s hopefully gonna look like.

0DB3ECC3-AE32-43A4-B29A-E2B308241B1C.jpeg

FC749CD2-1868-4BB0-828B-2D0EDB08715A.jpeg

FF781AE1-90F2-447B-A53C-54438A52700A.jpeg

E7B3E42F-4597-4CAC-A11C-AE27A3A608D4.jpeg

• Like 7

And I thought that I have done complicated things when rebuilding cars!

I wish I that the patience that you have. good luck with your endeavor!

👍

Looks good. I love that style of boat. Looks like you are coming to the interesting part of the wood bending. I don’t envy you for that part. I replaced over 170 board feet of a Chris Craft 1949 42 foot Constellation one year. The face board of a step was soft so I removed it and like a dummy I reached inside to check the rib and it also was soft. I started in early March and finished just before the Labor Day weekend. Luckily there was a master boat carpenter in the dry dock yard that took an interest in me and the boat. He showed me how to attach a sixteen foot mahogany board at the flat end of the hull and then soak it and hang sand bags from the loose end to get it to form the compound bends. Each day we moved the bags and added or reduced the weight of each bag. We also wet different parts of the board. Got it in the water and sold it asap. It was my dads boat and he moved from Chicago to California. I never did enjoy that boat on the water but learned a lot by always being the one to fix it. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

The only thing more masochistic than old cars is old boats. Or for pure folly play with airplanes....bob

1980 I had a 1938 IH 1/2 ton that pulled a 1932 18' Cris Craft, my wife had a 1946 Ercoupe .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

The only thing more masochistic than old cars is old boats. Or for pure folly play with airplanes....bob

I always told my wife that she should be glad I never got interested in antique airplanes. Can you imagine what my back yard would look like? !!!!!

22 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Does a fellow named Bob own this boat?

bob.jpeg.9860bf02ff9771df44bac333c812ebdd.jpeg

Not sure of the owner, I just grabbed the photo off the net so I could show people what I’m working towards. This is my 6th speedboat restoration.

My wife and I spent three years restoring a 1956 Feadship 65’ motor yacht just so Ed could come have lunch in St. Thomas with us. 

C8768974-B147-47AA-B2B6-FBC3406FD37B.jpeg

Ed’s a lucky guy, he gets to drive all kinds of great cars AND go to lunch in St Thomas on a beautifully restored yacht. Plus his job is what a lot of us would have loved to do if only we had the skill. Some guys are just born lucky instead of good looking I guess. 
dave s