Should I fix it - 65 Galaxie

junkyardjeff

Picked up this 65 Galaxie for 500 dollars mainly for the drivtrain,had one for a first car and would like another.  It does have some frame rust and after I get it running will get it on a lift to inspect,i do have a 4 door that is not worth fixing that can be used for parts.

20220404_191433.jpg

• Like 2

Nice looking car, Jeff! Looks straight. I'll be interested to hear how much rust you find when it's on the lift. Extensive frame rust is a difficult thing to deal with. As many on this forum have said before: Beware of really expensive inexpensive cars. Best wishes whatever you decide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Extensive frame rust is a difficult thing to deal with.

1965 Fords were notorious for frame rust-out. (a new design that year)   Check carefully and thoroughly!!  

I can see in the photo the rear quarter behind the wheel well has been repaired, another weak spot on '65-'66 full size Fords.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Totally depends upon how badly rust damaged the frame rails and torque boxes at each end are.   Particularly at the rear junction were most of the broken frame failures occurred here in Western New York after years of salt and moisture exposure.  It was also common to see one side of the rear bumper drooping as the rust got to the sections under the trunk.

BTW, how is work progressing on the stick shift '65 Mercury?

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Should I fix it - 65 Galaxie

If the frame on the four door is better, is it a direct swap?  I'd save the coupe if at all possible...

• Like 1

4 door has a good frame and the quarters have been repaired,the 4 door needs quarters and the trunk floor and someone walked on the roof.  If the floors and trunk floor on the 2 door are savable I might fix it but the drivetrain is worth what I payed for it,I got it for 500 dollars.

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

1965 Fords were notorious for frame rust-out. (a new design that year)   Check carefully and thoroughly!!  

I can see in the photo the rear quarter behind the wheel well has been repaired, another weak spot on '65-'66 full size Fords.

Craig

junkyardjeff,  I had a 1968 Ford Galaxie that the frame was rusted out on the right side just behind the front fender area, so when I went to raise it up on a lift it just crumbled,was a shame because it was a great looking car

8 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Well that explains why the frame on a 65 Ford was completely missing the bottom on both sides back in the late 80s. I repaired it for the elderly owner by going to a local steel store and buying that steel shape like a U channel but with very short sides and welding it in front to back on each side. The sides of the frame were in good enough shape to weld to. That's all I wanted.

Later a 68 Ford came by the shop for an estimate to fix a small problem. When they stepped on the brake, the right frame rail (which had come apart from the front torque box) dug into the pavement! Since the frame had come apart, I declined to job, I'm sure my insurance company was OK with that decision too. Who knows what section would separate next, and blame me....😲

Jeff,

After my last post I thought that it might be an interesting exercise to just check the used car market on line for 1965 Fords. Lots of Mustangs, trucks and some Fairlanes, but only one full sized Ford. That one is a decent convertible on eBay, that I would be interested in. Other then that nothing. And I spent some time checking Craigslist around the West too. I'm sure something will come up eventually but I wouldn't be too quick to write this one off just yet! Just my two cents worth. 

I bought one for a commuter/station car in NY about 35 years ago. and it was a clean 60K mile car for I think for $300. I took it to my friends shop to go through the brakes, I put it on the lift and it almost cracked in half due to the rotted frame condition. Certainly was a weak point then, only to worsen over time. It would have to be a car the was super rare or something I loved beyond the depths of my bank account to repair.

Jeff, I would think that one out before diving in that end of the pool. because once your in the water it's going to be hard to get out with spending some money and valuable time

36 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I would like to find a good 2 door that needs a engine,the previous owner died and the wife wanted it gone and I have looked at a few that the owners did not even notice the frame having issues.

I found that car 35 years ago, and I did not know the frame had issues. I sold as a parts car. it was too dangerous to put on the road back then, and it would not pass NYS inspection regardless. It was like a loaf of bread on the lift. The frame was like wet cardboard once the pads started lifting it they started crumbling. It was a shame. I guess they became rare due to attrition. 

It's a common theme for those of us who have been there, go west young man go west. If this is the car for you pick some areas in the country that rust is not a common problem and do a regular search. You are no doubt going to find some good candidates, as long as you are willing to use a little patience. You're a car guy, you know all this, but sometimes we become sidetracked by what's in our own backyard.

Not just the 65s. I recently scrapped a 1992 Crown Vic with 60,000 miles on it. One owner, little old lady, pristine, frame rusted out behind the front wheel where mud and dirt splashed against it. It was a shame, the car looked like new when I bought it and ran like new too.