Another day in Palm Beach.......a new car to fix

edinmass

Got a call to look at a car a few weeks back, 1935 851 Speedster, sold new in London off the auto show floor........can’t post original or modern photos, but a few through the windshield photos are ok..........should be done with it over the weekend. Fun drive along the ocean........

02896FB7-E0CC-45D5-B15A-9B72F98B6EB3.jpeg

062539C3-A2BF-4D80-AF4A-B95A3F0B4B49.jpeg

EB135FDA-7A07-4CC9-909E-7AE10E959442.jpeg

3B50BBF6-2957-4D23-BA9F-8621518B3130.jpeg

42C5BED3-1CF4-4F53-B826-CD6E312A45AD.jpeg

867B00D4-3467-4E18-9AE3-13E01BF778E0.jpeg

15CCE7D3-FCDD-44CA-8E13-E4E04EA5DCB9.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Auburn's are very reliable when sorted correctly.    I'm sure it is the usual stuff,  ignition, carburation, brakes, clutch adjustment, etc.   90% of the cars out there are not sorted correctly.

That's generous.  I would say probably closer to 99%.   Even some of my Driver's aren't fully sorted and all have a needs list.  Problem is every time I get one pretty well sorted,  I sell it so I can fund my next headache. 

Beautiful Auburn by the way.  Get that one sorted Ed and you can come by to work on mine. ;)  I'm too busy playing lumberjack to get to it. 

• Like 3

Its a well restored car that just needs some TLC. Fuel supply issues, choke issues, just time........ran great when it was going down the road. Swapping out a few pieces of modern hardware, things like that. They sure are fun to run around town in.......they get lots of smiles. 

• Like 6

And here we go.........seven figure car.........just went through and is "perfect" according to a shop...........so I fixed the fuel supply issues, put the distributor on my machine and set the points & timing correctly, went through the carb that was "fine". Well.......typical why spend a hundred bucks rebuilding the carb..........it was done thirty years ago and is fine. Well, look at the accellerator pump..........it didn't have one. Hard start will be gone for sure when we are done...........I think it needs a few hundred miles put on it to prove it reliable and easy starting hot or cold.........being a generous mechanic I never charge for road testing world class speedsters along the Atlantic looking at the young ladies on the beach.......yup, THEY PAY ME! America is a wonderful place!

IMG_5720 2.jpeg

IMG_5719.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Shout out to Carbking: The kit he sold me was perfect, and very inclusive. Thanks Jon!

The Carburetor Shop

204 15th St

Eldon , Mo 65026

573-392-7378

I only use his kits as all others are always a one kit fits 300 cars type of deal. Do it once, use The Carburetor Shop!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 11

We also did a water pump rebuild.........made a new shaft and impeller from scratch.......it's quiet and not leaking..........more to come......

• Like 2

Let’s restore a distributor, and replate the hardware using damaged screws. This is typical work we see every day. No one can take the time to locate and install new correct hardware. Can’t see it….let it fly. Tractor mechanics. Gap was off. So was the synchronization. Gee why fix it right. Looks pretty from the outside. 

F0A458B2-9870-48B1-B743-5D4780DD1BB4.jpeg

C89B0E35-B478-401F-BF81-821E6C77EBDB.jpeg

41F2CCB6-48D1-48FF-86BB-F4EC40FF4288.jpeg

20F1F26E-0DD9-414D-AD69-1A5DC729AAC3.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HarryLime said:

Thanks for the tour . What RPM are you running to test ? Or different RPMs ? 

The entire operating range........checking advance curve as well...............

• Like 2

My 38 Studebaker is still running better than ever because the distributor was fixed and setup expertly by Ed. He must know what he’s doing as he said it took all of 20 minutes. All I had to do when he finished was install it and that was easy as it only goes in one way.  I messed with it for days and the damn thing still wouldn’t run correctly. So now if I ever need to put new points in it I’m just sending it along with a bottle of CC to good old Ed! 
dave s 

• Like 1