Vintage car radio polarity

Billy J

I have a 1935 Hudson Terraplane originally 6 Volt positive ground. It has been converted to 6 Volt negative ground. I want to install an original factory radio. Does the polarity matter for this old radio ?  I think if you switch polarity on a newer car radio, it will fry the components ?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Oh yeah, radios don’t like working on the opposite polarity. I have a Dodge with 6v pos. ground and put in a radio that was 12v neg ground. I have a step up transformer installed. I isolated that radio well, but not well enough. The radio chassis touched the firewall and blew my fuse. 

Guys, actually for the most part the original 6V. 30s - 40s tube radios with original mechanical vibrators could care less Pos. or NEG ground. However if there was a modern solid state replacement vibrator installed, IT should be polarity correct. Yes there are Pos and Neg solid state vibrators. NEWER solid state radios  ARE polarity sensitive. So vintage will likely dictate success in changing the original polarity of your car. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

One would have to look at the schematic to make sure. Oddly, some vibrators care, but these were mostly in commercial two way radios. Or, same vibrator, but you pulled them out, turned them 180 and reinserted them. He was an arrow/ pos/ neg markings to show which way. 

• Like 1

And Dave, 38 Studebaker also... 😞

• Like 2