CCCA Linkage Geared for the Automotive Life....

trimacar

When I was a member of the RROC I regularly received solicitations from vendors offering all sorts of outrageously expensive gifts and services. My dad thought it was very funny because I was probably the youngest and poorest member! My father owned a direct mail accounting supplies company so he well knew how the system worked.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, so CCCA states in their membership Directory they do not want it used for commercial purposes, BUT why did they get/allow  a sticker on the publication sent to all, and that said it was sent as compliments from that club - perhaps it would be a proper thing for some one in the CCCA hierarchy to take the initiative to comment here with an official title and set us all straight? They seem awful quiet about this .............................🤐

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

When I was a member of the RROC I regularly received solicitations from vendors offering all sorts of outrageously expensive gifts and services. My dad thought it was very funny because I was probably the youngest and poorest member! My father owned a direct mail accounting supplies company so he well knew how the system worked.

My dad had that too.   While a person of modest means, he would get unsolicited phone calls from investment brokers wanting him to invest in oil & gas wells in Texas.    We think they were going through the Rolls Royce Owners Club directory and using it for leads.  They must have thought anyone who owned a Rolls must have been rich.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

You don’t have to be rich to own a Rolls Royce, you need to be rich to restore it.

Ain't THAT the truth! I have seen a lot of Rolls Royce automobiles I would love to have, and known quite a few people that do have them. Including a few that are not wealthy. 

I have had a few opportunities to buy a Rolls Royce. Gotta tell you that I was tempted! But wisely talked myself out of the idea. Anything I could have managed to buy? I could have never gotten restored.

The only way to resolve this issue is for a member to directly ask the CCCA club what is going on. If the club rules state the list can not be reproduced and used by any organization that is one thing. If the rules do NOT state the club WILL NOT sell the list to outside organizations the club board can sell it by an act of omission. The club is NOT an outside organization and they don’t say they won’t do it. As Steve says most all associations that are nonprofit are trying to raise money and keep dues low. I would drop the nonprofit part but you get the point. List sales can bring in big bucks. Most trade journals (non-paid industry specific magazines) survive on ad sales and profit on list sales. The average pub in the USA was 30,000 subs and turned over at least six times a year that’s 180,000 names times an average per thousand rate of $200 means $360,000 for doing nothing. If you have good demographics in a very specific industry or interest (like AACA) and above average members/subs like AACA has your rate can easily be $400 per thousand. You do the math 55,000  x 6 turnovers a year x $400 = big bucks for the association. AACA doesn’t do that but they do sell or barter/negotiate a benefit for the members and revenue for the club which also directly benefits the members, win win situation. 
That is not to say they shouldn’t offer an opt out on a multi level criteria. But they should also charge a higher dues for that privilege so as to make up for the loss list revenue. I’m sure Steve, West and the rest of the board will not be happy with a suggestion like that. Not because it’s a bad idea but because it makes the membership form options increase and programming more complicated. Plus the easier the form the more people will join. Sorry guys it’s just something I’ve always felt was worth the time and expense as it shows the member/subscribers you care about them as much as the club. After all they are the club. One more comment I think this association is the best run, most caring organization to its members I’ve ever seen. This is based on my connections to well over 500 different associations and magazines in my 47 years of being in the circulation business. I’m glad I found it and became a member, even if they don’t have the opt out. 
dave s 

ps- I like the members I’ve had contact with too! 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

One more comment I think this association is the best run, most caring organization to its members I’ve ever seen.

I totally agree with that statement. I also thank Dave for a very well balanced and realistic look and information about how print publications and those that use/thrive on them work. Never knew most of what he has stated before and he certainly isn't just giving an "opinion" as to what he assumes is happening.

There are many caring clubs - I have been on the board of several over the decades , I never was one to just pay dues and sit back and wait to be entertained because I sent my $ in and was owed something for doing that. At age 15 I was named publicity chairperson for the Plymouth 4 Cylinder Owners Club by the Club President and board , that was over 55 years ago. SO I have had put some time in over the decades trying to "give back" not expecting to be "given to".  It is not my nature to seek attention for anything I have ever done, I do not like the limelight , it is just that I do what I feel is right - and am most open to conversation if someone feels what I do or have said isn't correct.

Beyond all else AACA has done, was keep us all sane for the past 2 years during the pandemic and all the other bad news we see or hear daily . These forums are our escape and we are secure in knowing that all who regularly view here feel the same - perhaps historical preservation and perspective of same is our common salvation in dire times..............

• Like 2

Curiously enough, I just got two copies of this magazine, one addressed directly to me here at the shop and one addressed to the business at our old address, which we haven't used for nearly 5 years. No mention of CCCA (or any club affiliation) on my copies.

I don't know where they're getting their mailing list, but it doesn't seem to be a very accurate one (even though the magazine ultimately showed up at the correct address).

With all the junk mail, I get.  All of it goes right into the recycling  bin.  A free car magazine would not brother me at all.   If the AACA makes money with this stuff, that's ok by me.  I just feel for the poor tree's that are cut down to print this junk, that I then have to recycle!!!

Edited by 32tatra (see edit history)

A “junk” mail (I prefer advertising mail or standard rate mail) mailer use to work on a 1.8% return break even point. A 2% return was a very successful mailing. Anything above that was a gold mine that had to be re-mailed multiple times until it fell off. So basically 98% no good.
I’m sure due to cost increases the above percentages are a little low but even so it is only off by a small number. Maybe 1.85 and 2.1, mailers will continue to mail a list as long as it pulls above break even.  Yes “junk” mail uses a lot of paper but most of it is recycled paper. Check the feel of most non-magazine ad mail and you can tell it’s recycled. Plus you are actually benefiting from that mail even if you trash it. Without the standard class mail the USPS would be in dire straits compared to what it is today. Your first class mail would cost over $9 to mail and I’m using old numbers. A magazine like AACA would require a huge dues increase to mail. The advertisers would not pay the rates they would have to charge to come close to covering the cost. 
To get back on track of the original post it’s not an argument for or against junk mail but how that mailer got the names and why does it say “compliment’s of CCCA” ?  
dave s 

• Like 1

I got the magazine as well today.  Quite a variety of articles within.   I kind of like it, especially considering what it cost me.

• trimacar changed the title to CCCA Linkage Geared for the Automotive Life....