1938 Cadillac 75 convertible sedan

This car was for sale in 2021 without a top and without an interior.  I was bidding on it (eBay) and it was pulled before the auction ended. 

Unfortunately, the new interior looks like a street rod from the 1990s. 

https://kraftauctions.hibid.com/lot/25205-268204-935094/1938-cadillac-series-75-4-door-convertible-sedan/

354A4AD3-7A50-42DD-AD53-E629624892A5.png

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

This car was for sale in 2021 without a top and without an interior.  I was bidding on it (eBay) and it was pulled before the auction ended. 

Unfortunately, the new interior looks like a street rod from the 1990s. 

https://kraftauctions.hibid.com/lot/25205-268204-935094/1938-cadillac-series-75-4-door-convertible-sedan/

354A4AD3-7A50-42DD-AD53-E629624892A5.png

Aarf! That interior pattern is so out of character for this car! The workmanship looks great, though. The dash, horn button, column are supposed to be grayish/brown with the steering wheel darker tan; the brown color scheme is goofed.

Paint code 14 is Italian Cream and looks right, to me.
Trim Code 815 is Tan Leather the interior certainly is

@Matt Harwood, while I agree that a black top would look nicer with the paint scheme, the 38-7259 was available only with a tan top, either line, or unlined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never seen a pleated seat on a convertible sedan (authenticity restored). I understand the pleated seats for sedans/ coupes.  

I skipped the one in MN (when it was asking $70k in Illinois) due to the two tone paint and pleated door panels and seats. 

below is my understanding of what the door panels/doors should look like.  (Yes it is a coupe, not a sedan) 

10D10465-A33C-4330-B23C-2A696DA05331.jpeg

92340BA7-7984-4687-B930-2C54E8CC8E27.jpeg

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

that interior is typical of people who have no clue. The entire dollar amount spent was a waste of money. The car was more salable with no interior. As a buyers agent for more cars a year than I can count, workmanship like that makes my job easier cause I don’t even have to go to work at the car in person. Any customer of mine that actually asked me to consider that car I don’t want to be a customer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

that interior is typical of people who have no clue. The entire dollar amount spent was a waste of money. The car was more salable with no interior. As a buyers agent for more cars a year than I can count, workmanship like that makes my job easier cause I don’t even have to go to work at the car in person. Any customer of mine that actually asked me to consider that car I don’t want to be a customer. 

Ed,  I will respectfully disagree.  I think the interior is usable and presentable.   Not correct,  true - but not an embarrassment like we see so often.

• Like 1

• Cadillac Fan changed the title to 1938 Cadillac 75 convertible sedan

I hate the interior, but everything is relative. If the hammer price reflects the incorrect aspects and it sells at a price that is irresistible, it has my attention.   For example it is at 16K now.......yep, I’d take it for that. 

• Like 1

The bidding was $42-45k without the interior and top with two days to go (on eBay) sometime last spring/summer.  

the prior owner told me that he got an offer and it was going to Florida.  

So, I would be surprised if he lets it go for less that he has into it.  Whatever that is.  

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I often confront sellers about incorrect decisions and of course I get told many times to **ck off or similar responses.  I am curious, since you seem very blunt on this forum, where you are among friends, do you have a discussion (ie: a nice term to use instead of confront) with any sellers about issues found that are incorrect?  Or do you simply look at car's as the buyer's agent and report to them?  

I don't run in the same collector's areas as you do, but I hate to see phony incorrect interiors and mag wheels while the seller states sophomoric comments like "all original" and unrestored.  

21 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I often confront sellers about incorrect decisions and of course I get told many times to **ck off or similar responses.  I am curious, since you seem very blunt on this forum, where you are among friends, do you have a discussion (ie: a nice term to use instead of confront) with any sellers about issues found that are incorrect?  Or do you simply look at car's as the buyer's agent and report to them?  

I don't run in the same collector's areas as you do, but I hate to see phony incorrect interiors and mag wheels while the seller states sophomoric comments like "all original" and unrestored.  

Unless they are asking the age old question "Why can't I sell this great car?"  pointing out the flaws to a seller is usually not worth it.   Even if you are buying the car,  unless they want you to justify the lowball offer,  pointing out the problems has no upside.

• Like 6

I have to admit that it is a nice shade of yellow and it looks surprisingly good on this big car, even without lime green fenders & orange wheels. I may be biased because yellow was my mom's favorite color and during the 80's mom had a couple of triple yellow Coupe DeVilles with landau tops that I always liked. At least it isn't bright red which does NOT belong on big Classics. Yellow must be a hard color to paint because I don't think I've ever seen a repainted car without primer shadows showing thru the yellow on the door jams and/or lower body. This car has those thin spots and dark paint creep near the upholstery on the jams.

The 38-75's used the same bodies as the series 90 V16 but the V16 required a larger, wider radiator and grille. Cadillac modified the 75 hood & fenders to accept the V16 radiator & grille. Some production numbers:

1,802 total 1938-75 series production with 58 model 7529 convert sedan (same as this car)

311 Total 38-90  production  with 13 model 9029 convert sedan

2,065 Total  39-75 production with 36 model 7529 CS

136  total  39-90 production with  4  model 9029 SC

959  total  40-75 production with 45 model 7529 SC

61  total  40-90  production  with  2  model  9029  SC

Total of 19 , V16 convertible sedans were built between 1938 - 40.  During the 70's, 80's, 90's there were 2 - V16, convert sedans in Canton, Ohio. A dark maroon one that is still in the Canton Classic Car Museum and a black one that I drove a couple times. Both were very nice, unrestored cars. There were  also 3 others near by in the Akron area during that time, 2 black ones and a blue one. I don't know where these other 4 are now.  Interesting that there were 5 of the 19 within 30 miles of each other for many years.

• Like 1

I am not aware of any convertible sedans that were swapped but I am aware of a convertible coupe body switch that was done about 1990, also an Akron area car.  I don't remember what years the 2 were. The 75 & 90 bodies were the same those 3 years but the 75 grill & fenders were updated in 39 & 40. The V16 was virtually the same car 38-40 but you can determine the year by side chrome trim & placement of the V16 emblem. 40 was the last year for open 75 series cars but the same various 5 & 7 passenger sedan bodies were built with updated fronts up through 1949.

Total V8 model 7567  convertible coups built 38-40 was 57 - 1

TotalV16 model  9067  convertible coup built 38-40 was 19  + 1

On 1/27/2022 at 5:20 PM, jdome said:

",,.'40 was the last year for open 75 series cars but the same various 5 & 7 passenger sedan bodies were built with updated fronts up through 1949.

I thought that was the case as well, then while studying a glass replacement book that covers 1940-'54 discovered that none of the glass for those 1938-'40 75 and 90 sedan bodies interchanges with the 1941-'49 75.  What turns out to interchange with those is the 1940 Series 72, but only the windshields, front door vents and front door windows with the Series 62 touring sedan.  Apparently, Cadillac and Fisher/Fleetwood figured out how to integrate the Series 62 touring sedan cowl and front doors into a lwb sedan, which then was elevated to the Series 75 for the duration through 1949.  This was consistent with Nicholus Dreystadt's overall management program to rationalize all Cadillacs on one powertrain, sharing bodies with other GM makes, creating the lower volume styles as extensions rather than unique onto themselves.   

Proper radiator, minor detailing, and proper interior pattern - all would have been worth the effort to realize a higher price. 

While I do not mind the interior via not being hateful in pattern, you have to look at the audience for this car and what they would want (ie not going to get positive looks in CCCA) - it would have been very simple to go onto internet and get pictures of what the proper interior should have looked like and then done that (and they may have even had the patterns).  

As to a tan or black top, either is fine, though I may have gone grey in color even. 

Better choice of sales format = know your buyer and how to reach them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...