Craftsman Torque Wrench

STEVE POLLARD

I have a Sears 1/2 drive torque wrench that has to be 20 - 25 years old. I went to use it the other day and the square post just spins around in both directions. I was told that the Torque wrenches are not cover by their "Life Time Warranty".  So I pulled up "Sears partsdirect " web site and naturally the repair kit is no longer available. Has anyone on here used a universal repair kit ( if one is available ) ? I know that I can just go out and purchase a new one, but since I had this for a long time, I would like to keep it.

Thanks !

image.png.c604baf790d98c0845249d030fa01b48.png

Have you taken the ratchet apart to see what's wrong? Maybe just needs cleaning and lubing, since you say it turns easy both ways. That means the switch cam* isn't moving, just stuck between sides.

*made up term.😉

• Like 1

Assuming it's a clicker? Probably better to go ahead and replace it. 

I like a beam type myself, but own 1/2" and 3/8" no-name clickers from some long-ago swap meet. Used to take them to the community college automotive lab every year during summer session and cal them against the school's freshly calibrated Snap-on dial torque wrenches. 

Invariably within +-1 lb/ft accuracy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

I have a Sears 1/2 drive torque wrench that has to be 20 - 25 years old. I went to use it the other day and the square post just spins around in both directions. I was told that the Torque wrenches are not cover by their "Life Time Warranty".  So I pulled up "Sears partsdirect " web site and naturally the repair kit is no longer available. Has anyone on here used a universal repair kit ( if one is available ) ? I know that I can just go out and purchase a new one, but since I had this for a long time, I would like to keep it.

Thanks !

image.png.c604baf790d98c0845249d030fa01b48.png

Try calling them. They replaced mine under similar circumstances.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Lowe's owns Craftsman now. My old Craftsman torque wrench gave up the ghost a few months ago and Lowe's exchanged it no questions asked. in fact, they no longer had the model I had, so I got a free upgrade. Nice!

I think Stanley owns them now.

Stanley Black & Decker own the names and produce the tools for many well-known tool brands. Lowe's and Ace Hardware have selling rights for Craftsman.

I'm glad I got my Craftsman tools before the Lempert era. Since that debacle the majority of my tool buys have been "previously loved" and well-cared-for older US-made tools. After I discovered the Alloy Artifacts website I have found that a lot of the tools I had considered "second-tier" were actually among the best-made and innovative tool brands.

18 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I found this review funny

Screenshot (1542).png

I bought a used one of these dial type.

TORQOMETER® U.S. Basic | TE51F | Snap-on Store

Let's hope your Snap-on jobber will handle calibrating it for you when it's needed.

Some of them, you don't have a receipt showing you bought it off the truck, they won't have owt to do with it.

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I like a beam type myself, but own 1/2" and 3/8" no-name clickers from some long-ago swap meet

I bought a warren and brown for someone for Christmas and was very impressed with the quality (it would want to be for the price, but it is made here in Melbourne)

https://wbtools.com.au/deflecting-beam-torque-wrench-1-2-drive-10-185nm.html

• Like 1

Even if your local C-man emporium will honor the former lifetime warranty (our local Ames Hardware does not, despite the fact that they sell C-man tools), the problem is that exchanging a vintage, US-made tool for a new Chinesium one isn't exactly an upgrade in my book. I've installed a lot of those ratchet rebuild kits in, though I don't own any of the style that the OP has.

11 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Have you taken the ratchet apart to see what's wrong? Maybe just needs cleaning and lubing, since you say it turns easy both ways. That means the switch cam* isn't moving, just stuck between sides.

*made up term.😉

"Pawl"

Taken many older ratchets apart for a clean and lube. Brake cleaner and q-tips to dislodge old hardened grease, more brake cleaner for a final clean, then a dab of SuperLube synthetic grease does the trick.

That's provided the internals aren't badly worn or broken. I have a war years PLOMB WF-21 3/8" ratchet that had been neglected so long its pawl tension springs had rusted to nothing. No such thing as a repair kit for that one, and haven't found a spring that will work. Shame because it's a pretty little ratchet.🙁

Repairing the ratchet part of a clicker torque wrench would be pretty straightforward. Would it require calibration after the rebuild?

Thanks Glenn, yes the Pawl gets stuck.

Of all my click type torque wrenches, only the Snap-Ons have needed recalibrating! Now I am always the second or more owner of these. Some I buy from the Snap-On truck... People upgrade or pass on and the dealer helps the situation.

• Like 1