Earley Twin Six (V12) unable to identify

Chris Gamm

Unable to find anything on the web that looks like this engine (scroll down engine picture is last).  Closest was the 1915 Buick, but head is different.   Holley Bros model H carburetor, Delco ignition, looks to be a modified Model T pan, aluminum block and transmission.  Any help is much appreciated :)

twin six 9.JPG

twin six 8.JPG

twin six 7.JPG

twin six 4.JPG

twin six 3.JPG

twin six.JPG

twin six 5.JPG

Edited by Chris Gamm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pathfinder Series XIII A Five-Passenger Touring 1913.

Claimed to be the last surviving Pathfinder.

This car has a 281 cubic inch L-head 4-cylinder engine.

A later, larger model had the V-12. So far, no photos.

pat.jpg

http://worldofclassiccars.blogspot.com/2016/03/pathfinder-series-xiii-five-passenger.html?spref=pi

Edited by f.f.jones
Added info (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, sagefinds said:

Packard had a V-12 they called the twin six in late 1915 for a few years but I can't say that is it. 

To me not the same

https://www.autozine.org/Archive/Packard/classic/Twin_Six.html

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1337949/1915-packard-twin-six-for-sale-in-norwalk-ohio-44857  Has images on engine

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

You are correct,definitely not Packard. I don't know where the Buick suggestion came from,I don't think they ever even had a V-8 in those days. Pathfinder is the only other one I've ever heard of. Those arms that open the valves are a little reminiscent of the Rochester-Duesenberg walking beam 4-cyl powerhouse engine. 

28 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

The teens-vintage Packard Twin Six was a flathead.

The "teacup" style drain sump and lack of rolled edges on the model T modified pan suggest that the pan is circa 1914. That drain sump became smaller and flatter in 1914. About 1916, the edge was rolled over slightly to make the pan stronger.

It certainly looks like something someone altered or modified extensively to adapt to some different application.

Any indications whether it was originally a twelve? Or maybe two sixes? I am trying to understand why the pan change? Possibly a total loss aircraft converted to sump splash oiling?

Very interesting engine.

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Some discussion here which includes a familiar photo - 

So far I have not found what valve actuating system the Weidely V12 used.

when I posted this back in 2018 I was amazed that there were so many early V-12 cars built. If you scroll down in my post you will see a distributor that is a duplicate of the picture you posted.

All - in 1917 and 1918 Kissel offered a “Kissel Double Six” model, which used a Wiedley 12 engine block. Only one survives today in Denver. Somewhere I have those technical pictures, but not now. It’s possible that this is one of these engines. Weidley 12 engines were also used in some period trucks.

Ron Hausmann 

All -

Here are a few pictures of the internals of a Kissel Double Six Wiedley engine.

The subject engine is not a Kissel Double six insofar as the Kissel had overhead valve springs, whereas this one has side valves. And some of the configurations don’t match.

The subject engine has side rocker arms, which are very similar to those I’ve seen on some Duesenberg walking beam engines. I sure feels like it’s a duesy to me. 
   Ron Hausmann

34045418-D3DC-4AA3-A91A-641810182C15.jpeg

23EF3328-25F9-44E3-AD21-B94C1A306183.jpeg

1CE81D4C-CB13-4105-8751-09FE06B8E06C.jpeg

The flat galvanised plate at where the flywheel may/would be does not look of the time .

An aircraft or marine engine adapted for another purpose?

Interesting layout

Sold for 3,180.00 USD

Edit

Holley carb shown

another image from the auction

MOHDER (German?)

Bore 2 7/8

Stroke 3 13/16

CU IN 297

HP SAE 40

(but may not be correct - buyer beware)

img.axd2.jpg