1949 Rain Man Roadmaster Convertible for sale

Looks like it has some condition issues.  The movie pedigree gives it extra value but as time goes on there will be a lot of “what’s a rain man?”  Will probably wind up in another movie memorabilia museum.

• Like 1

There are a few very popular movies where the cars are so integral that the value is astronomical.   The James Bond Aston Martin,   Bullitt, Eleanor, etc.   But this is not one of those situations.   I could see a slight premium,  10-20% but nobody that I can think of would be drunk bidding for bragging rights on the rain man Buick.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are a few very popular movies where the cars are so integral that the value is astronomical.   The James Bond Aston Martin,   Bullitt, Eleanor, etc.   But this is not one of those situations.   I could see a slight premium,  10-20% but nobody that I can think of would be drunk bidding for bragging rights on the rain man Buick.

This is such a great movie with the car being one of the main characters. And it is not only the Rain Man buick, it belonged to Dustin Hoffman for 34 years! This will certainly add more than 10-20% to the value in my opinion. At least to people of my generation. If those 10-20% would be needed to get this car, I would be happy to go for it, replace the hood ornament and drive it all summer long.

By the way, then I would be ready to sell my 49 Super convertible in the same color. 😁 The other Roady used in the movie is owned by Wayne Carini and is in much better shape, I think. 

• Like 2

That makes a big difference

this one was acquired by Dustin Hoffman when the film wrapped. Restored by Larry Payne, Glendora, California, and shown at a 1989 Buick Car Club event, the RAIN MAN Buick has remained in Hoffman's ownership. In 34 years the car has rarely been seen publicly.

23 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Lets see how it does.   I'll admit I'm wrong if it sells for twice what it should.   I personally don't think the film or the car are iconic,  and Dustin Hoffman as a celebrity owner feels like nothing to me.

We all have our preferences, no problem. Okay, so what it is worth? This is Hagerty for the 76C:Screenshot_20220113_083234_com_sec.android_app.sbrowser.jpg.a711959a65f356de4ffec36bff512be5.jpg

#3 at best. Hagerty's standard for #3 seems higher than the Old Cars Price Guide. I'm a Hagerty Driver's Club member, and while my LaSalle is a 3+ on Old Cars' scale, it's more like a 4+ on Hagerty's.

Hagerty seems to be going all in on the investor buyer market (see the current issue of the Driver's Club rag), investors want cars good enough to appreciate in value, so their standards are severe.

Edited by suchan
more info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think the Buick is way cool, but I reject the notion of Hollywood validating the cultural worth of a car. In my opinion, the person who pays a hefty premium for that Buick because of the Rain Man connection isn't a car guy...he's a movie guy.

• Like 6

I agree that some movie cars warrant an exaggerated price. This one to me is not one of them. Yes its integral to the movie, and I remember that it was a pretty good movie, but I think I only saw it once. If it were on tv tonight I would prob watch Andy Griffith instead. I am sure someone will pay a premium for the celebrity ownership, again there may be a car out there that I would do the same, just dont know which one or whom at this point. I always thought these were $200k cars until I saw a couple for sale. There was one at Hershey, a good solid #4 car for something like $20k or so.

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

I think the Buick is way cool, but I reject the notion of Hollywood validating the cultural worth of a car. In my opinion, the person who pays a hefty premium for that Buick because of the Rain Man connection isn't a car guy...he's a movie guy.

Maybe he is a movie guy and a car guy, or even better, a Buick guy. Just a movie goer will not jump on this car. 

Looks like I am the only one here really excited about this. Does that increase my chances? 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

Maybe he is a movie guy and a car guy, or even better, a Buick guy. Just a movie goer will not jump on this car. 

Looks like I am the only one here really excited about this. Does that increase my chances? 🤔

Anytime I get my hopes up like that I'm always rudely brought back to reality.    It only takes a couple of guys to really make an auction go,  and sometimes just one and an aggressive chandelier.   I guess we'll see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cadillac Fan said:

My guess hammer of $120k. 

the other one is with Wayne at F40.

fast forward to 38:30 :

I did not know that the Wayne Carini car still belongs to Levinson and is at F40 only for storage. You learn something every day. Quite obvious that Wayne and the other guy in the video really believe that rain man Roadmaster is a one of a kind car due to the movie appearance. 

My guess is the Hoffman car goes for 180.000 USD, at least. Of course way over my budget. Cannot sell all of my cars until then 😂 (and don't want to). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hans1965 said:

I did not know that the Wayne Carini car still belongs to Levinson and is at F40 only for storage. You learn something every day. Quite obvious that Wayne and the other guy in the video really believe that rain man Roadmaster is a one of a kind car due to the movie appearance. 

My guess is the Hoffman car goes for 180.000 USD, at least. Of course way over my budget. Cannot sell all of my cars until then 😂 (and don't want to). 

If you are right.  I will admit I know nothing about movie cars.      I'm thinking about what I don't like about this one and the list is long.   If it was a cooler car, in better shape from a better movie with a bigger star...

• Like 1

I like the car, the movie, the actors, the music, you don't. That's all. I can live with that. I really like how the car is featured throughout the movie. 

Still the movie got four academy awards, best picture, best director, best actor (Hoffman), best screenplay, and was nominated in four other categories. Highest grossing movie of 1988. 

The lower the car sells, the better for me in the long run. Hope you are right!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

IMO this car is certainly beautiful and with the movie tied to it, I believed the price would go up. That having been said, you must really love the movie for this price. I would have bought a 1953 Skylark instead and had several dollars left over. Best of luck on the new purchase. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

Wow.

I like the movie too, But If I woke up the morning after some drunk bidding and realized I paid $522K for a $12K car, I’d be looking for that bridge to jump off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, suchan said:

Wow.

I like the movie too, But If I woke up the morning after some drunk bidding and realized I paid $522K for a $12K car, I’d be looking for that bridge to jump off.

Funny thing about these auctions is that it takes two fools to bid a car this high. Now the the other guy still has a half million in his wallet and a hang over, but I would rather be in his shoes instead of the guy with the car. I hope he got Hoffman's autograph. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Funny thing about these auctions is that it takes two fools to bid a car this high. Now the the other guy still has a half million in his wallet and a hang over, but I would rather be in his shoes instead of the guy with the car. I hope he got Hoffman's autograph. 

The $500k was for a buick that was supposedly used in the movie 'Its a Wonderful Life'. Not to be confused with the buick roadmaster that dustin hoffman drove in the movie. Be a bit hard to get Jimmy's autograph at this point.

8 hours ago, TAKerry said:

The $500k was for a buick that was supposedly used in the movie 'Its a Wonderful Life'. Not to be confused with the buick roadmaster that dustin hoffman drove in the movie. Be a bit hard to get Jimmy's autograph at this point.

Close but no cigar.