1971 Plymouth Satellite station wagon 44,000 original miles - $16,500 (Tarzana)

Great looking wagon in unusual, original color combination.

p1.jpg.93b73328524262d1aeb34ca01e748dff.jpgp2.jpg.f061038f6689f4a98ecf0b88efe62f55.jpgp3.jpg.ccf904979e2cf288f286be50791f5705.jpgp4.jpg.35e888c44d254a43c2f0faf72bb1d734.jpgp5.jpg.384a2ad750e5989386b2406797be70c3.jpgp6.jpg.b209a17765aadce4fde66a76ae993963.jpgp7.jpg.f96183d9bc8abea6872d0f381d93e53f.jpgp8.jpg.b150fe670406ce10e5b3a69b4881c2d7.jpgp9.jpg.11f1d3277ce54882541fdd1a0e57848e.jpgp10.jpg.b8b208d996446fa8f4069935a3bff73d.jpgp11.jpg.cbe530db155065235d5ed484a43e1710.jpgp12.jpg.b3fdd99ac76fbb39014dd571efa9080b.jpgp13.jpg.bad751dcd6b5c313cbf04f5e8e340626.jpgp14.jpg.5496f0df2c79d821e699a10a59c57e0a.jpg

More pics at:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/tarzana-1971-lymouth-satellite-station/7429357236.html

1971 Plymouth satellite station wagon with 44,000 documented original miles 318 Motor runs great Engine is nicely detailed new water pump Edelbrock carburetor rpm aluminum intake manifold ceramic coated headers Magna flow dual exhaust with Glass packs sounds awesome New front brakes including calipers rotors brakes pads New rear brakes including drums shoes wheel cylinders this wagon still retains 90% of its original factory black paint The passenger rear bottom portion of the quarter panel was spot painted at some point The engine bay was painted The rest of the original paint is in great shape true survivor very straight body never any accidents The underside is dry and free of rust. 2 minor rust spots on the bottom of lower portion of the front fenders please see pics if you’d like more pics please text me I have close to 100 pictures including the underside. inside is very nice Great daily driver for more information or you would like to take a look at it please call me 818-213-2486

I think it is cool looking,

but with all black paint, I believe it would be like an oven during the summertime,

or in any warm climate

• Like 2

More photos: https://postimg.cc/gallery/npsXb2S

Why do I even like this thing? As a kid I wouldn't have wanted to be seen anywhere near this car.
Being raised in L.A I had no concept of rust, salt, or snow. A fifty year old car could be taken apart with a crescent wrench. Here in NH, this car wouldn't have survived three years before it was ready for the scrap heap.

Edited by AdamInNH (see edit history)
  • Like 2

One of my aunts had one of these in the 70s in Petty blue. I can't remember how long she kept it, but it sure wouldn't have been all done in 3 years here in WA. 30 year old cars were common and normal.

Hers was a little lower slung than this one, and what doesn't really show in the pics because of the angle is that the outer rails above the doors are raised a little and the roof dips in the middle, leading back to that scoop thing that directs air over the back of the car. That just might be the coolest styling detail on a station wagon ever.

• Like 1

The blue interior seems odd to me on a black car.  It doesn't look bad, but just not as good as the typical red or even a sandalwood interior.  I think white would be too stark a contrast.  These wagons were pretty common when I was growing up.

The full-size wagon had a similar shape, but the midsize really looked 'right'.

1971 PLYMOUTH FURY CUSTOM STATIONWAGON

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AdamInNH said:

More photos: https://postimg.cc/gallery/npsXb2S

Why do I even like this thing? As a kid I wouldn't have wanted to be seen anywhere near this car.
Being raised in L.A I had no concept of rust, salt, or snow. A fifty year old car could be taken apart with a crescent wrench. Here in NH, this car wouldn't have survived three years before it was ready for the scrap heap.

I agree completely. I grew up 10 miles from where this car sits now. I never knew what rust was. My first car was 30 years old and didn't have a spot of rust on it. Then I moved to Michigan and I got an education on salt and rust real quick. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EmTee said:

The blue interior seems odd to me on a black car.  It doesn't look bad, but just not as good as the typical red or even a sandalwood interior.  I think white would be too stark a contrast.  These wagons were pretty common when I was growing up.

The full-size wagon had a similar shape, but the midsize really looked 'right'.

1971 PLYMOUTH FURY CUSTOM STATIONWAGON

I agree with you on that blue interior. I could get used to it, but I would have done the interior in grey. 

Great car. I love it. It brings a question to mind: What is it that keeps an old car from being molested? The owner's attitude aside, I think four doors have - for many years - kept these wagons off the radar of old car butchers. The pedestrian 318 engine helps, too. That may be one of the reasons that 4d wagons are so big now...most haven't been jacked with. Other than factory mags and rwl tires, this car is fantastic, and changing tires and wheels is no big deal. If this car is in person how it appears in the pics, I'd say it's well wort the price (IMO.)

• Like 1

Hi guys, I just came across this site on Google and was coincidentally enough thinking about buying this car as I had seen it on another site. I hadn’t originally seen the additional link of images though. My question is, how big of a problem do you guys think that rust its? With the amount of rust underneath and the literal hole in the lower fender on the passenger side, what do you think about the 16,500 price tag?

Edited by ClaviusBase (see edit history)

Hi. As far as rust, that can be answered best by someone on site looking at the car in person. Getting it up on a lift for an inspection of the underside would be essential, but even then, I've done that before (prior to purchase) and still found more rust than I suspected once I pulled some interior pieces out of my car. The good news is that the underside of this wagondoesn't look recently repainted and "spruced" up, sometimes a sign that someone's been trying to hide rust (but not always.) Old original (unrestored) cars from this era are going to have some rust. As my caveat from my previous post says, "If this car is in person how it appears in the pics...." i.e. you should look at it in person.  All anyone on the internet can say is that this car looks very promising. Solid looking. Verify that the paint actually is as original as the seller says.

We have no idea how much you know about old cars, but listen for knocks in the engine and look for smoke out the tailpipe. I think the price seems reasonable, but I've never bought one of these either, so I really don't know. If you get it, come back and tell us about it. GOOD LUCK! It's a cool car.

I recently acquired a 70 Coronet wagon that’s nowhere near as nice as this example but we’re working on it! If I had seen this car before purchasing the Dodge, I think I’d have been tempted to pony up the additional bucks. E8B3F66F-DFB8-4B8A-898D-871755C59C0A.jpeg.bae745dfc983ab48bef6afa67cc2b830.jpeg

• Like 3

I think the blue interior looks great on this wagon, grey is an interior color that is on my NO list along with green, too depressing. The rust on the fenders is a non-issue as patch panels can be fabricated for that area quite easily by an experienced person. Deal killer for me is the no a/c with a black roof here in SoCal, be like cooking myself in the oven, and I think the asking price is a little optimistic for the condition with the undesirable (to me mods that have been done.