1931 Buick Pivoting Driving Light

32buick67

Does anyone know if this pic of a 1931 Buick was a legitimate factory supplied option for a pivoting diving light?

I am familiar with the 1948 Tucker plans, and with the linkage in my old 1949/50 Ford 'me-too' 3rd driving light linkages to illuminate the roadway.

Was Buick remarkably advanced in 1931 with a driving light which illuminated in the direction of the steer?

Anyone know which autos were the first to illuminate the roadway in this way?

Mario

1931 pivoting driving light.jpg

16857738-1949-ford-2-dr-coupe-thumb.jpg

tucker-torpedo.jpg

I am not a fan of cluttering up the grill on these early Buicks.  I know that some people like every item that was available for these cars.  I think the 32 Buick grill is a work of art and I am disappointed when I see a big Chrome grill guard, with a license plate hanging from the badge bar and trip lights on the bumpers.  Just my opinion, But sometimes simple is best.

Bob Engle

32Buick grill.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great grill and info on Pilot Rays.  I'ved added to 32 Cadillac getting some engine work done, but can find no reference as to how the lights or added to electrical system.   They were an accessory in the Cadillac brochure and even if added at the dealer, what was the electrical hook-up?  Separate switch under the dash or wired in with the light switch around steering wheel and horn?  Any help appreciated

I would definitely wire the accessory lights with a separate switch under the dash AND supply the 6v current through a separate rely. This separate circuit and relay will take the additional amperage load off your existing light switch. Since you'd be using a relay to control the 6v to the Pilot Rays, you could actually run the 6v feed off of your existing headlight switch, if you thought having a separate switch for the accessory lights was a bother. However, I hate to risk burning the contacts in your original '32 Cadillac headlight switch....but to each his own.  I'm sending you a PM with some specific parts information. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

Owl light, 1927 used on a bunch of custom bodied Lincoln’s.......had a small light that turned with the wheels. Photo below is a 1925 non turning unit, but gives you the idea. I have only seen two in my lifetime.

DF8B7911-3810-45B4-A773-C706A9050CE0.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's a link to an interesting Hemmings article about vintage driving lights that some of you may enjoy. It isn't totally about Pilot Rays, but still has some helpful info about time periods for one or two light usage back in the day. John

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/accessory-driving-lamps

1972644862_owllight.jpg.e549643e059fa17cc3a66237b14c6a95.jpg

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 9:38 PM, chuckfmtexas said:

Dual turning Tripp lights are often seen at Concours d’Elegance events on early Packards, Lincolns, Cadillacs, Duesenbergs, Auburns, Pierce Arrows, Marmons, etc.

I'm fairly certain Trippe NEVER offered turning lights in regard to them being attached to the steering mechanism.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:13 PM, 32buick67 said:

Does anyone know if this pic of a 1931 Buick was a legitimate factory supplied option for a pivoting diving light?

Mario

I don't know what brand driving light is on this car, but it doesn't look like Pilot. In addition, the cowl lights are not stock items, either. The ones on this car may have been replaced with spot lights, but it's hard to tell.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:13 PM, 32buick67 said:

The extra light along with the Los Angeles city plate do remind me of this picture of the '30 and '32 Buick the LA police used. Likely not at all related, but an excuse to show this cool picture.

Buick Squad Cars and a Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff: Learn more at:  http://theoldmotor.com/?p=136822 | Police cars, Old police cars, Police

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

The extra light along with the Los Angeles city plate do remind me of this picture of the '30 and '32 Buick the LA police used. Likely not at all related, but an excuse to show this cool picture.

Buick Squad Cars and a Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff: Learn more at:  http://theoldmotor.com/?p=136822 | Police cars, Old police cars, Police

Very cool, awesome photo!

While looking through 1000s of pages of manuals and engineering documents last night, literally, I came across the generator and electrical parts lists which apply to police cars, radio use and other extra electrical accessories.

The extra lights, radios, fans, etc. required the higher ampacity electrical system upgrades, no surprise, but it was neat to see an itemized list of upgrades.

Buick, Chevy, Studebaker were listed among the police duty upgrades.

I was surprised to learn that other car brands were used for law enforcement, other than the typical three.  Makes me wonder what other brand vehicles were used for law enforcement...maybe time for a new thread.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...