What Type of Washer is This?

jrbartlett

It’s hard to believe that Lee and Ann have been gone for so long. As the oldest couple on many CCCA tours, I was the youngest member often helped them with luggage, and other details to make their life easier on the road. I enjoyed my time talking to him about his life’s adventures. He was a modest man, knew everyone that was involved in WWII, and was truly a great American. 

• Like 3

Boat hardware outlets call them finishing washers.  Auveco calls them flush type washers.  I've also heard them called cup washers.  The #6 oval head screws that attach the garnish moldings to woodwork around the windows of my 31 Buick 8-66S uses them and they were missing on my car.  The moldings are out for wood graining now, when they come back I will use the washers seen here.

20211125_082451.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)

I think the most common use in automobiles was to hold window molding to the doors an interior framing.  Allowed the straight slot screw to be snugged up without damaging the paint or wood graining.  Usually stainless steel.   My 2 cents worth.

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I think the most common use in automobiles was to hold window molding to the doors an interior framing.  Allowed the straight slot screw to be snugged up without damaging the paint or wood graining.  Usually stainless steel.   My 2 cents worth.

A lot of older Italian (and perhaps other European) cars used them to attach fabric/leather/vinyl covered interior panels to prevent these flexible soft materials turning/twisting under the screw head.

Actually, I had tried searching for finishing, cup and half countersunk washers, but the only term that actually pulled up what I was looking for was "flush washers," which I learned through this forum. The 1919 Locomobile has them on the doortop trim, and I wanted more for the 1925 Locomobile.

Lee Davenport, the third owner of my 1919 Locomobile and the man who commissioned its restoration (by Bill Oexley in 1972) basically invented radar-controlled anti-aircraft gunfire during World War II. He told me that the first time it was employed was at the Anzio beachhead in Italy. A flight of 17 German bombers flew over and the automated gunfire (I think from three units) shot down 15 of the planes. After the war he installed the cyclotron at Harvard University, and worked for a big technology firm (don't remember which one). I left his monogram on the car in honor of his World War II achievements.

I spoke to him on the phone several times, but never met him in person. He has been described as a real gentleman. When I told him about the monogram, he asked, "How did you know about that?" I told him, "You're all over the Internet." And he replied, "I am?"

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:46 PM, jrbartlett said:

Just ordered off ebay -- many thanks. 

By the way, I just had a new top put on the 1919 Locomobile -- the Davenport restoration top had lasted nearly 50 years.

I'll post photos when the weather clears up and I can get the car outside.

Teddy Leonetti did the upholstery as well, a true craftsman. I was in his shop when the back seat leather was being tacked in place, don't think there were any staples used. Bob 

Most people never heard of this company but they have over 60,000 IN STOCK 17,000 page catalog from interior / exterior trim hardware to tools for the job. One of there companies they supply is Fasten All. I bought the window channel for my 30 Cadillac from them and it was cheaper to buy the full box than individually so check the prices. Their mainly a wholesale company and ship out of their 115,000 sq.ft. warehouse and have a small front cash sale desk for locals like me.  

And yes they have the cup washers in stock. 

https://spaenaur.com/fasteners-products/

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1