New To Buick's

likeold

Hello all, I just purchased a 1938 Buick Special and know just about nothing about it. I'm not new to cars or antiques cars but just never owned a Buick. I love the look of the cars in the 30's and I could not find a Ford so this came up, price seemed reasonable so here I am. I have a few question from my first observations.

Is this car positive or negative ground? 

I have to let the clutch out almost all the way before it engages is this normal or need an adjustment or maybe more?

Thanks, I'm sure I will have lots of questions

• Like 1

Welcome, I am pretty new to the forum as well.

You will find many great resources and very helpful folks here.

I think you will find the Buick engineering quite impressive, especially from a Ford POV.

I grew up with mostly Fords, and I appreciate their disposable 'dime-a-dozen' assembly line approach, but there are quite a few things I have discovered in my short time of owning a 1930s Buick that impress me vs Ford.

It will be interesting to hear if you find the same.

Looking forward to your pics!

Welcome to the Buick world.  I always recommend going on ebay and purchasing a "Motors" manual for your year.  I also suggest getting the Buick "Specifications and adjustment" manual for your year.  There's a wealth of info in these two books.  

Feel free to ask any questions of this forum.  You will find some very knowledgeable folks here that are happy to help.  They love photos!!

Bob Engle

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Rock10 said:

Welcome. Please post pictures. :)

I already made the deal but I don't have the car yet I'm supposed to take delivery on Tuesday . By the way what is the emblem on your grill mine does not have that ?

My first preference would be for a factory service manual for your particular year. The highly detailed information will make a lot of things clear that otherwise wouldn't be, particularly if you are new to old cars.

That said, MOTOR manuals, and Chilton/MotorAge manuals of that era can also be very useful. You should probably pick up one of those too at some point. The aftermarket manuals cover a whole bunch of makes, models, and years. It is best to pick one where your car is not right at the end of coverage. Some information will be missing for the oldest models in the book, as it was considered less important. Similarly, the aftermarket books may have not have caught up completely with the newest models.

When I got my 36 Pontiac, it had a factory service manual with it and i use it... a lot. I suggest joining a club too. I didn't do it right away, but It puts you in touch with the right people! Early in my ownership of the Pontiac, I made some parts from scratch, guided by terrible internet pictures, that I might have just found and bought If I was better connected. There is a club just for the 36-38 Buicks. @MCHinson should know something about that.

• Like 1

I belong to the 36-38 club.    Its a drivers club and not a trailer / show  club.     The director is Gene Phillips in Anderson Indiana.    They have an ad in BCA club magazine.   1-765-642-4088.   They drive to interesting points.   I live in Florida and I drove my 38-46s from Tamps Fla.  to Just south of Nashville Tenn.   We visited the  Nissan plant and took a  tour.     For me,  it was a 1800 + mile trip.    I'm a bit of an outlier distance wise but that is our club.   Our technical guys can help you with anything.   Service Manual is your bible.    It helped me with most anything I needed.    If you need major parts,  Dave Tacheny in Minn.  is your 'go to guy'.    He usually has anything you need.     So,  join up and welcome to the Buick pre-war group.   We are all just a bit crazy but we don't care.     If you have any question,  sone one in the club will have the answer.   

• Like 4

I would suggest you check out the 36-38 Buick Club website at http://www.3638buickclub.org/. If you contact me via the contact the webmaster link on the club website or by Private Message here, and give me your email address, I will be happy to email you a sample .pdf issue of a recent club newsletter as well as a club application. 

• Like 1

With the internet and forums like this you can gain lots of information in a hurry. 

Depending on what you have already discovered, Buick had several series each model year. 

In 1938 there were 4.

Special.(series 40)...122" wheel base and 248 ci straight 8, eight different body styles, highest production model therefore parts are easiest to find. 

Century (series 60) 126 wb,  320 ci straight eight, 6 body styles

Roadmaster (series 80) 133 wb  320 ci straight eight, 4 body styles

Limited (series 90) 140 wb,  320 ci straight eight,  3 body styles

I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of this car hopefully this week. I appreciate all the feedback from you guys as a Buick is kind of and unknown for me, glad to know guys like you are out there to help me out. Just like when I got my first Model A Ford I had no idea about it and there are some great forums out there where people can help you out and I learned a lot. Also I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to find parts for this car but one supplier "Kanter Vintage Auto Parts" seems to have quite a bit of stuff for old Buick's, where else would you suggest to look for parts when needed? I know I need window glass, floor rugs and seat covers

There are lots of reproduction parts for the '38 Special Buick. That makes it m easy, but not cheap, to fix and replace things. There are also several good suppliers.

The Buicks are great cars, but like all cars, they have their quirks.

They were great when new and, if things are in good condition, they still are.

But I am biased, I have two '38's

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, likeold said:

I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of this car hopefully this week. I appreciate all the feedback from you guys as a Buick is kind of and unknown for me, glad to know guys like you are out there to help me out. Just like when I got my first Model A Ford I had no idea about it and there are some great forums out there where people can help you out and I learned a lot. Also I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to find parts for this car but one supplier "Kanter Vintage Auto Parts" seems to have quite a bit of stuff for old Buick's, where else would you suggest to look for parts when needed? I know I need window glass, floor rugs and seat covers

https://bobsautomobilia.com/

In addition to https://www.kanter.com/index.aspx  and https://bobsautomobilia.com/ you will probably want to check out http://www.oldbuickparts.com/index.php. Both Bobs and Cars, Inc are good sources for Buick specific parts. Additionally, for parts that are not reproduced, the best source is usualy Dave Tacheny. You can best reach Dave by calling 763-427-3460 between 4 and 7 pm Central. Other than those sources, you will find members advertising parts in the Torque Tube II newletter of the 36-38 Buick Club, and of course you will find some parts on ebay. 

• Like 2