1931 Cord Model L29 Cabriolet

George Smolinski

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

I've asked this question before and never got an answer.  What in the modern day equal to this car based on good looks, performance, and value? 

Bob 

I don't know the L29 well, but my sense is that they are known as tremendously attractive cars that are unfortunately uncomfortable to drive.  If so, it not be so easy to find a modern day equal...

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I've asked this question before and never got an answer.  What in the modern day equal to this car based on good looks, performance, and value? 

Bob 

If by modern day, you mean today’s crap, there isn’t any. Going back to the 1950’s, although somewhat garish, the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz has beautiful lines along with the 1957 - 59 Chrysler 300.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Bob 

It is a fun question to ponder.  Of course whatever your answer, expect a lot of disagreement.  But I'll go there for a moment.  Taking several of the general characteristics, such as made in USA, high styling, roadster body, innovative technology, high-end (but not in supercar territory; say $200K and under), one might select the forthcoming (2023) Tesla Roadster.   Perhaps the Corvette, if you count the mid-engine as 'innovative technology'.  If 'value', as you mention, is part of the equation, then definitely the Corvette, at 1/3 or so the projected price of the Tesla.  Going outside the USA would result in many more 'roadster' candidates to consider.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 12:48 AM, 1935Packard said:

I don't know the L29 well, but my sense is that they are known as tremendously attractive cars that are unfortunately uncomfortable to drive.  If so, it not be so easy to find a modern day equal...

I agree with your summary. I saw the picture and smiled.what a flashback. I worked on that car in 1976. Beautiful looking and zero fun to drive. We sold that car in the same year. Forgive the lousy picture of my old boss and the car as is was in the National Enquirer! E5C89203-98DD-4070-A243-AD8AF2457AEB.jpeg.7585466a3f3dd130e0ce965a828fa447.jpeg

• Thanks 1

As far as asking what car compares today? May as well ask what is the best colour for a car?

No idea on how this car stood in line price wise originally, but I would imagine it was out of reach for 80% of the general population. That being said I would think maybe a new Bentley would be a good comparison?

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)

On 9/4/2021 at 12:48 AM, 1935Packard said:

Your statement may be true, but if I owned this car I sure as hell wouldn't complain. Too much style & class to complain about anything on this car. It would be kinda like complaining that you hair gets mussed up when you drive your REAL 427 Cobra, because there's no top.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2021 at 9:25 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Bob 

If you're talking American made and by todays modern standards (imo) it's hands down the Dodge Challenger Hellcat triple black package. 

I don't think you can find a car that meet all three of your criteria otherwise  (American made). 

Beautiful styling and looks, and definitely meets the performance standard (and beyond) plus the value.  I'd put the value against anything on the world market with all it offers. Just my opinion... (sorry Vette and Stang kids...)

However, the fact that it is so much of a performance (muscle) car, it may toss it out of this conversation. Funny, disqualified for being too powerful....

But let's be real... judging anything compared to the L29 (or Duesenberg Torpedo) isn't even fair ;) . There is no equivalent PERIOD.

image.png.e7d9b12aeb4f964a1d01f7d2276c0beb.png

• Like 1

Ok, I like the Dodge Challenger Hellcat comparison, so here is the story behind my L29 Cord comparison. My Grandfather was a chauffer for a family that wintered in NYC and had a 400 acre estate here in Ridgefield, Ct. Their son had an L29 Cord Cabriolet and needed it driven from NYC to Connecticut, my Dad was asked to deliver it. Dad was 15 years old in 1930 and had driven some great cars around the estate, but still didn't have a drivers license, and questioned the deal. "I'll cover any tickets" he was told and off he went.  NOBODY is going to give a Hellcat to a 15 year old today to make the same run. 

Bob 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, mark graber said:

Pretty sure that car and photo are from the Fountainhead Museum in Fairbanks, AK.  Amazing place.

Mark

It sure fits in with everything else they have. Is there one guy or a committee that picks their cars? Not a looser in the whole collection. Bob 

8 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Your statement may be true, but if I owned this car I sure as hell wouldn't complain. Too much style & class to complain about anything on this car. It would be kinda like complaining that you hair gets mussed up when you drive your REAL 427 Cobra, because there's no top.

I've never actually driven an L29, so I couldn't say what it's like.  Although if someone wants to let me borrow theirs to try, I would be happy to report back on the experience!  :)

Just now, 1935Packard said:

I've never actually driven an L29, so I couldn't say what it's like.  Although if someone wants to let me borrow theirs to try, I would be happy to report back on the experience!  :)

Dad said the in dash shift lever was the main problem to get used to. Bob 

29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The L29 is gorgeous!  All 4 body styles.

25 years ago I wanted an L29 and my dad admonished me to drive one before I bought one.   I never have so I can't provide first hand commentary.

The 31 has the bigger engine but I don't believe they made very many.

Sage advice. I never have been on a tour but for those who have are there L29’s out on tours?

• 1 month later...