29 Cadillac Sport Phaeton

44 minutes ago, Shipping reccomendations said:

Much of the paint work and mechanical repairs were done by the former Ollie Ehresman of Suffield Ct. He worked with Mr. Briggs at the Hartford Ct. Pontiac dealership at the time.

A.C. Hynes, with the elevator to the service department, later a honda dealership now a good area to avoid!  Used to go there often as a kid, dad and Gpa were both BOP men in the 60s, 70s.  Now back to big ol' Cadillacs...

37 minutes ago, supercub said:

Just curious about the chrome unit above the foot pedals, is that a heater vent or intake?

It is an accessory heater. You can see the hoses routing to it in the engine room. 

Cub, I think the paint is a trade off, parts are original, some might prefer it, I am in that camp till a certain point, in this case I would leave it.  Not sure what Orrie is bringing to Lime Rock this year, but will report on it in detail if he has this car with him Sunday.

• Like 1

It took me forever to find these photos from 83. This is what one looks like restored. My first restoration. It won the AACA Presidents cup in the early 80’s. Ninety percent of the wood had to be replaced secondary to termite damage during it’s stay in Argentina. You can stick your finger into the holes they make.  Car also had bullet holes in the drivers side door   Does anyone know where this car is now?

777014D4-B59F-47E0-84EA-FC38160E4FC1.jpeg

8DBA0A90-121E-4A88-A9B1-CBCD39AFFA06.jpeg

A5DB09FD-0D96-4204-8C84-8830692F0E84.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I have purchased this Cadillac because it was a real survivor. There are invoices and ledgers for everything done to this car from the early 30's up to the seller I purchased it from.

While there have been some spot paint work over the years, it is a true survivor, not a barn find. This car was sold new in Connecticut and has always been owned and driven there. I promised the seller it will remain a survivor, well cared for and maintained. I intend to drive and show it once it arrives home in Seattle. 

The seller provided me with videos during cold starts, local road driving showing temps and oil pressures at different speeds. He even took a video on the freeway at nearly 60 miles per hour with excellent oil pressure and perfect temperature. 

If the weather is decent it will be on display at Hershey on Saturday. 

brasscarguy

• Like 8

4 hours ago, brasscarguy2 said:

I have purchased this Cadillac because it was a real survivor. There are invoices and ledgers for everything done to this car from the early 30's up to the seller I purchased it from.

While there have been some spot paint work over the years, it is a true survivor, not a barn find. This car was sold new in Connecticut and has always been owned and driven there. I promised the seller it will remain a survivor, well cared for and maintained. I intend to drive and show it once it arrives home in Seattle. 

The seller provided me with videos during cold starts, local road driving showing temps and oil pressures at different speeds. He even took a video on the freeway at nearly 60 miles per hour with excellent oil pressure and perfect temperature. 

If the weather is decent it will be on display at Hershey on Saturday. 

brasscarguy

Congratulations.   I really like the look of it.  Please don't put whitewalls on it.

• Like 2

I remember the car at local meets as a kid........so I’m guessing it was early to mid and late 70’s. I don’t remember if I saw it after 1990........there were a few 29 Cadillac dual cowls that were active in the area......Ed Jacobowitz had a 28 he drove often. The Belltown meet was always full of good early Cadillacs on display. Suffield Ct is about 15 miles from the town I spent most of my life in. It’s a great car........happy at the 50-52 mph range........they go faster, but the engine gets very busy over that speed. One note of caution......Cadillac babbitt bearing material from that era will remain fine if not disturbed, but the act of pulling bearings to check things out  often will cause the material to come away from the shells and rod caps.....so I recommend leaving good enough alone if you drop the pan to clean it. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for pledging to keep it original.  Forty years ago i thought everything needed to be restored.  Today I would trade my restored 341B pictured above for your unrestored purchase even money.  Half of the cars in my garage today are unrestored originals including a 23 seven passenger,  41 model 63  and 58 Eldorado Barritz

Actually I purchased the Cadillac the day it was posted. I saw the photo here and fell in love!!! I called Orrie and he was so open and forthcoming regarding the car. As mentioned he took videos drop boxed 215 photos, and forwarded pictures of some of the many service documents and the service ledgers. As soon as I received the information I had my bank electronically transfer the money. Orrie was so easy to deal with, I sent a lot of money to a person I have never met, to buy a car I have never seen, and I still sleep soundly every night, go figure. 

As stated no restoration ,just routine service and upkeep. I am contemplating white wall tires, any thoughts or input?  

Weather permitting stop by and take a look at the car show Saturday it is not being judged just in the survivor row. As I've not seen or touched the car take a look and post here what you think in person!! You might even take a photo and post here.

thnx

brasscarguy 

• Like 2

Putting white walls on that car would not make sense. It carries itself great with black walls. White walls would show lack of maturity or sophistication..........it’s like adding too many lights, a trunk, and other assorted bling.

I my humble opinion, I would pull the side mount mirrors and extra lights. Car has fantastic lines.......why muck it up?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5