Build Cards via the Chrysler Museum are still available

30DodgePanel

Some of you know that I'm a huge advocate of obtaining build cards from the Chrysler Museum for your vehicle. I again implore every Dodge Brothers owner (car or truck) to send in for a build card so that you can get answers for your vehicle and hopefully in turn help those of us who are doing research find some answers also. 

Having said that, I wanted to give everyone some good news in regards to Build Cards and hope to clear up any confusion folks may have had in the past year. 

I recently reached out to Danielle S at the Chrysler Museum to clarify if owners of Dodge Brothers vehicles are still allowed to request build cards. The following is her response regarding process, fees and expectations..., please keep in mind that Covid restrictions may cause delays so be patient. Currently they are remote and will not return to office until Covid restrictions are lifted (which is anyone's guess..)

"Hello David,

If a customer sent an order by mail, we have recorded those and will answer them in the order they were received.  Email was a bit more difficult to track this way, so we are asking people who emailed us to try back later this year and we will try answering them in the order they are received.  We are anticipating long wait times and would prefer customers to provide emails so we are able to send build records by email for quicker delivery times.  

There is no fee for build records at this time.  Proof of ownership is still required.  Once this is sent, a copy will be emailed to the customer when we are able to process their request. 

Danielle"

By mail 
Historical Services
CIMS 410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288

Email
danielle.szostak@fcagroup.com

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Minibago said:

Hi David,

Does this apply to very early car too?

1917 and 1919 Budd body cars 

Reading this, I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to know "WHAT" years they have them for. Also, what is proof of ownership, that they are asking for?

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Minibago said:

Hi David,

Mini

I have sent this question in to Danielle and waiting for her reply for any clarity she may be able to offer. 

I would say it doesn't hurt to try. All it takes on your part is a few minutes of time. 

Keep in mind, there are no guarantees they will have the build card on file but it's worth a try. 

16 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Stakeside, that is good news. I had emailed her recently and she did respond. Minibago, I think it starts about 1930. 

Hi Doug, I've been called a lot of things before but never Stakeside.... I'll consider that a compliment since he's such a good egg ;) 

16 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

Reading this, I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to know "WHAT" years they have them for. Also, what is proof of ownership, that they are asking for?

Mark, proof of ownership can be a few things:

copy of the title along with the frame or serial #. 

copy of  registration along with the frame or serial #. 

bill of sale with your name on it along with the frame or serial #. 

They need the frame or serial # to find the card on file. Without that, I doubt they can help with any request.

Off topic:

The irony is, they have them on file by frame # yet we as researches cannot ask for that chronological sequence in order to help answer questions unless we own a vehicle. Thus making it impossible for us to answer how many of what models were produced during the transition years. Mini rant over..

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Minibago said:

Hi David,

Here is her response:

"Hello David,

For Dodge passenger cars, we have from 1927 - 1967.  For Dodge Trucks, we have from 1925-1954.  I hope this helps."

Sorry, but no Budd cars...
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

But if I am correct aren't you both from N.M./AR. area? You both push the build cards which I am a big fan of even though I don't own anything that I can get one for. I asked about my DA but they said no. 

He's NoCal and I'm AZ. so you were close 

Honestly cannot believe they don't have one for your DA but as I said previously, there are no guarantees for any of us but it's always worth a shot if you own a DB or GB vehicle. Thanks for encouraging others to try for one, it is important that folks at least try. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:29 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

Here is her response:

"Hello David,

For Dodge passenger cars, we have from 1927 - 1967.  For Dodge Trucks, we have from 1925-1954.  I hope this helps."

Sorry, but no Budd cars...

Bummer on the No Budd cars!

1 hour ago, DB26 said:

Damn. Guess my 1926 is right before the cutoff. 

Never hurts to try...

I'm guessing (just a guess) that the dates she provided was based on historical research they've done to this point. You never know, yours may be the first 26' they come across..

Besides, with all the confusion around model years, title mix ups from previous owners (among many other reasons...) if I was in your shoes I'd still try and send for it, but that's just me..

If you decide not to you'll never know. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Never hurts to try...

I'm guessing (just a guess) that the dates she provided was based on historical research they've done to this point. You never know, yours may be the first 26' they come across..

Besides, with all the confusion around model years, title mix ups from previous owners (among many other reasons...) if I was in your shoes I'd still try and send for it, but that's just me..

If you decide not to you'll never know. 

You’re right. I think I’ll give it a shot. 

I wish you the best of luck.

It would be very encouraging to find out they have one for you but if they don't, please remember, you're to be commended for at least trying and having the interest in a piece of history that owners prior to you may not of known about. Thanks to the internet and our modern ways of communicating it's made it so easy and readily available so why not try and take advantage of it? I think we are truly honored to have that ability that others before us may not have had.

I look at the pre 1932 Dodge Brothers era as a puzzle of sorts;  as current owners, we all need to work together in order to bring the whole picture in to view.

Remember, we're just caretakers until the next owner has the honor of continuing the love for these pieces of automotive history. Besides, it's the least we can do... sending in for build cards is just one of our tasks as current owners that can help secure segments of missing information and hope the next generation continue a passion for answers, no matter what year or model of DB. 

Again, best of luck to you (fingers crossed), we're all pulling for you and others who try. 

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I wish you the best of luck.

It would be very encouraging to find out they have one for you but if they don't, please remember, you're to be commended for at least trying and having the interest in a piece of history that owners prior to you may not of known about. Thanks to the internet and our modern ways of communicating it's made it so easy and readily available so why not try and take advantage of it? I think we are truly honored to have that ability that others before us may not have had.

I look at the pre 1932 Dodge Brothers era as a puzzle of sorts;  as current owners, we all need to work together in order to bring the whole picture in to view.

Remember, we're just caretakers until the next owner has the honor of continuing the love for these pieces of automotive history. Besides, it's the least we can do... sending in for build cards is just one of our tasks as current owners that can help secure segments of missing information and hope the next generation continue a passion for answers, no matter what year or model of DB. 

Again, best of luck to you (fingers crossed), we're all pulling for you and others who try. 

Well said. I sent the email. We will see what she says. 

I too agree that getting a build card is a great idea.  Well before this "covid" hit,  I sent for build cards on five of my cars and they had them for three of them.  It has really helped to know the information on the build card.  I was amazed to find that my 1930 DC8 was actually shipped to Phoenix, AZ and it is still in AZ to this day.  If you can get the build card, it is worth any effort or time spent doing it.

• Like 2

@Knobless

Your build card brings up very good points for some of the reasons I encourage everyone to try and send in for them. Several sections of the build cards provide answers for all of us, not just the owner but for researchers who are trying to figure things out for the sake of the DB and GB community in hopes of correcting some answers. 

As we all research and compile more serial/frame numbers to gain answers and as we input them into a database on excel, I've notice there is a very precise chronological order to some sections on the build cards,  such as Serial # per plant and Order#. Although it may not seem like much, it's very important when uncovering a hiccup in the ORDER numbers section on the  build cards for domestic trucks that stayed in the USA but the order# jumps backwards when we see a truck that was exported. Why is that? I believe the exported trucks had it's own pattern. Most folks don't know this but, we were the largest exporter in the world at the time. In 1930 we only imported around 709 total vehicles (including all types, passenger car, truck or commercial cars) for the year and exported for US and Canada combined was 470,268 according to the NACC (National Automobile Chamber of Commerce). Total 1930 truck production for US and Canada combined was 599,991. Out of those 599,991 trucks produced, 186,701 were considered "exports or foreign assembly units inclusive" while 413,290 stayed in the USA as domestic trucks. As you can see, trucks were a substantial percentage of all automobile exports.

Why is this important when talking about Dodge Brothers build cards Dave? !

I'm glad you asked.. 

As an example for Domestic trucks that stayed in the USA and why it's important when looking at build cards;

The build card for my DA124 3/4 ton 78" Panel truck shows the order # D 59516. I have several other build cards for 1930 that are in an exact chronological order so the pattern is proven. I believe the D is for Detroit and S is for Stockton when a truck was made in Stockton CA plant and E would be for Evansville. Note * I don't recall seeing any build cards for trucks made in Evansville yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time once a current owner of a Evansville built truck comes forward with his build card. (getting build card information from truck owners is like pulling teeth)

Exports and why it's important when looking at build cards:
The build card from a 1930 DA124 3/4 ton 78" Express pickup body style (same year and series as my panel truck) which was produced exactly a month later than my truck in the same Detroit plant,,,, However, this is the only build card that I have come across for any truck that was sent to Canada and has an Order # with a T on it  T 57793. I am trying to prove if the T is for Export or for Ontario.... Until we get more build cards it's still a guessing game. That's one of the main reasons I implore others to get build cards because behind the scenes, these cards are like a glimpse into the production process and the build cards are the only way to fill in some of these blanks of missing information. Although this truck was produced 1681 units after my truck at the same plant, the order number precedes mine by 1723. I believe this to be very important to hopefully finding out how many Dodge trucks were exported when considering the yearly totals. Maybe not in our lifetime but hopefully it helps unlock the mystery someday...

image.png.c03afce6cae6f010226fa0f996792696.png

image.png.e853243a0fb92fb6f666cb483d3dee31.png

DB Sedan Build Card (2).jpeg

As a follow up to my last post and why build cards are so important.

Here are the 1930 numbers I have uncovered for Dodge Brothers truck units produced. 

This research has taken me several years to compile along with help from some of you (thank you). The information was compiled from many sources of material and publications that are documented and double checked for accuracy. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong if you have literature or documents to prove otherwise. 

17,134 Detroit plant (all models excluding Merchant Express totals)

(4,304 Merchant Express all built at Detroit plant)

Detroit units totaled - 21,438 (Including Merchant Express)

4,607 Evansville plant (all models, excluding Merchant Express)

1,824 Stockton plant (no Merchant Express and no buses)

Grand total for all Dodge Brothers trucks produced in 1930 at all three DB plants combined was = 27,869. 

NOTE* this is based on "model year" from July 1, 1929 to June 30th, 1930 and not by calendar year. Although others may dispute this process, I'm only following this process because that's the information that was provided by the company according to model charts. This is my attempt to try and break down those model charts to read them correctly for each new model released yearly and so we can uncover body style transition periods more precisely.

I'll continue to complete some of the other transition years numbers for trucks and hope to one day publish it in the newsletter once I get it to where everyone can easily understand it better. This is just a glimpse into why the build cards and research are so important... 

Riffing on 30DodgePanel’s replies, for Plymouth prior to 1934 there is no source that I have found that maps the paint and trim codes found on the build cards to actual colors/fabrics. I hope to get people who have original cars, or at least cars with enough remnants of original material/paint, to get the build card for their car and then to let me know what the material/paint color was and what the code numbers on the build cards are. It seems that Chrysler had a pattern they used for several years back in that era but knowing the pattern and actually knowing the details are sometimes different things.

“Getting build card information from truck owners is like pulling teeth”. The same is true of car owners. 

• Like 1

I received a reply on my build card request.  They are unable to do hands-on research at this time because of corporate guidelines etc.  They can only do remote access research.  I was asked to send another request at the end of September/October.  I was happy to hear that it is still a possibility.  I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got my response today as well. Although mine was not as encouraging:

“Unfortunately, we do not have build records for this model year in our files.  These records were never transferred to the archives and do not exist within the company. “

At least I know now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 7:42 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

As a follow up to my last post and why build cards are so important.

Here are the 1930 numbers I have uncovered for Dodge Brothers truck units produced. 

This research has taken me several years to compile along with help from some of you (thank you). The information was compiled from many sources of material and publications that are documented and double checked for accuracy. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong if you have literature or documents to prove otherwise. 

17,134 Detroit plant (all models excluding Merchant Express totals)

(4,304 Merchant Express all built at Detroit plant)

Detroit units totaled - 21,438 (Including Merchant Express)

4,607 Evansville plant (all models, excluding Merchant Express)

1,824 Stockton plant (no Merchant Express and no buses)

Grand total for all Dodge Brothers trucks produced in 1930 at all three DB plants combined was = 27,869. 

NOTE* this is based on "model year" from July 1, 1929 to June 30th, 1930 and not by calendar year. Although others may dispute this process, I'm only following this process because that's the information that was provided by the company according to model charts. This is my attempt to try and break down those model charts to read them correctly for each new model released yearly and so we can uncover body style transition periods more precisely.

I'll continue to complete some of the other transition years numbers for trucks and hope to one day publish it in the newsletter once I get it to where everyone can easily understand it better. This is just a glimpse into why the build cards and research are so important... 

Hi Dave   - I sent you mine?

On 9/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, Alan Cutler said:

Hi Dave   - I sent you mine?

Hi Alan

yes I believe I do have yours in the data from memory. Sorry I haven’t been responding, been traveling on the road for 12 hours a day since Wednesday morning. Currently in Missouri as I’m trying to get back home to AZ. Here are some parts I found in Ohio

Will check in once I get settled back home. 

1399700B-B77D-492B-A370-A55CD0F60438.jpeg

1378E7A5-46BC-474A-BA21-2B54839DAD68.jpeg

251A4DE2-79F8-44F4-8B8C-331B1C37FB39.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 7:47 PM, Alan Cutler said:

Sweet parts, let me know.

By the way you going to Tempe in November for the show?

Not sure which show you're referring to,,, sorry I'm a bit brain dead from the week long trip to Ohio..

I don't see your build card on file (keep in mind I'm trying to focus on 1928-1932 the lost years) but I see your truck as a 1938 .5 ton  serial 81869xx according to the most recent Club Roster. I'm not sure if anyone has taken on the task of build cards from 1933-1938 Dodge trucks. The main reason I'm focusing only on the 28-32 years is because of the DES system prior to 1933 models being so confusing and I'm trying to find answers for that group of owners. 

Have you been in contact with Eric Bannerman? He has a couple of books about Dodge trucks and serial number ranges and may want to hear from you. He's not in the DBC but he's still very helpful to the post 1933 truck community regardless. Let me know if you need his email.

Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder (t137.com)

9 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Not sure which show you're referring to,,, sorry I'm a bit brain dead from the week long trip to Ohio..

I don't see your build card on file (keep in mind I'm trying to focus on 1928-1932 the lost years) but I see your truck as a 1938 .5 ton  serial 81869xx according to the most recent Club Roster. I'm not sure if anyone has taken on the task of build cards from 1933-1938 Dodge trucks. The main reason I'm focusing only on the 28-32 years is because of the DES system prior to 1933 models being so confusing and I'm trying to find answers for that group of owners. 

Have you been in contact with Eric Bannerman? He has a couple of books about Dodge trucks and serial number ranges and may want to hear from you. He's not in the DBC but he's still very helpful to the post 1933 truck community regardless. Let me know if you need his email.

Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder (t137.com)

Ah got it, good for you, glad you found mine in the roster.

Eric and I have connected many times own the book...

AACA Special Western Show & Tour.

We are going, show only, crossing fingers for our first Junior....

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Dave,

I know someone who received the build card for his car on Jan 4th of 2022.

That is really good to hear! I am glad they are processing requests.

• Like 1