1968 Riviera GS - begin therapy -

Flamma

Hello folks,

I recently became the new owner of a 1968 Riviera GS.  Inca Silver with vinyl top.

I'm guessing it has an original/aftermarket 8 track player?  Also, not sure what the "TISSUES" and "Delco Stereo" parts are for.

It has some gremlins, but overall, it seems to be pretty solid, and I'm pretty pumped.

This will be my home therapy and weekend cruiser. 🍻

More pictures to come...

1968 Buick Riviera GS passenger side.jpg

1968 Buick Riviera GS rear passenger.jpg

1969 Buick Riviera GS instrument cluster.jpg

Rear speaker cloth_vinyl back seats.jpg

passenger door panel.jpg

1968 Buick Riviera GS tissues.jpg

1968 Buick Riviera GS Delco Stereo.jpg

1968 Buick Riviera GS AM FM radio.jpg

8 track.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Flamma,

Congrats on your purchase....the eight track player is the correct version, starting the year after yours in `69 the words "Buick" were embossed into the tape door. The stereo box is also original and is part of the AM-FM STEREO system as opposed to just the AM-FM radio. The tissue dispenser is also a factory accessory but would have been dealer installed.

Love the black and silver!

Tom Mooney 

• Like 3

It would be no fun if it didn't have a few gremlins to eff with. What a great find!  That car is a museum of under dash auto memorabilia! The 8track alone is a prize, & to capture that 60's feel you need to have tissues close at hand, of course. The Delco must be a reverb unit, but Im sure someone here knows for sure.    anyhoo, congrats & welcome to the club.                                                      p.s. looks like there's still room for a triple gauge cluster under there                                                            

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

It would be no fun if it didn't have a few gremlins to eff with. What a great find!  That car is a museum of under dash auto memorabilia! The 8track alone is a prize, & to capture that 60's feel you need to have tissues close at hand, of course. The Delco must be a reverb unit, but Im sure someone here knows for sure.    anyhoo, congrats & welcome to the club.                                                      p.s. looks like there's still room for a triple gauge cluster under there                                                            

That is actually the stereo unit but it did not include  a reverb feature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 68RivPearle said:

On the topic of the 8 track player how hard is it to install one of these in a car that doesn't already have it?  The reason I ask is I see refurbished units on Ebay and I'm half tempted to pick one up provided the install isn't something obscene.

It’s probably one of two scenarios. 1) Buick built one harness and it will be a plug and play because the wiring is already there or 2) like a reverberator, you get instructions as to where to cut and splice. Either way it shouldn’t be too difficult.

• Like 1

Ok gremlin #4

Trunk key inserts into trunklock and turns at least 90° clockwise. I dont hear any release or click and am pulling up on trunk. No dice. I can turn the key a bit more but I dont want to break it off.

Any suggestions or experience with this?

Another way to gain access to the trunk is to remove the bottom & back of the rear seat. Once they are removed then remove the cardboard seperating the trunk from the interior.  Now get a light in there & you will see three bolts that holds the latch to the trunk lid, I believe they are 7/16ths. bolts. Once you do that the trunk lid with latch should open. Then you can go about finding the problem WITHOUT doing ANY damage to the trunk lid.

Tom T.

• Like 2

On a semi related topic I was at a car show where a gentleman had a very nice 1960 Chrysler Imperial on display.  He was parked near my friends 1962 Buick Skylark.  He had a display which explained that he couldn't get the trunk open for any reason.  He did something similar to what everyone here is suggesting and found nearly 60k tucked away in the spare wheel well.  The car came from Iowa so the only thing he could figure out was it was someone who used their car for a bank since a lot of older generations distrusted banks after the Great Depression.  Either that or he was the one who got away! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

That ^^^ was going to be my next suggestion.  ;)

A couple of looooong ratchet extensions are handy to have in situations such as this.

If you’re going to try this, make sure that you use an ample amount of masking tape and tape all of your sockets and extensions together.  If one comes off, you’re still not in the trunk and you’re out a couple of tools. Learned that from the guy who replaced the rear quarter window in my ‘84 convertible. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 68RivPearle said:

and found nearly 60k tucked away in the spare wheel well

I remember doing some work for my father's uncle on his farm when I was in high school.  When I was finished he opened the trunk of his '72 Sedan deVille and pulled out a couple of bills from the foil-wrapped bundle he had stuck behind the spare tire...

I guess the first thing anyone should do after buying a used car is thoroughly examine the trunk!  ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I decided to take a short, casual drive up Phantom Canyon Road.  Snap a few pics, check out the views, but not too far, as there's no phone signal.  About 1/2 mile into it, I'm noticing the washboard gravel road, much more in the Buick than my Ram.  Right about then, my engine shuts off, the GEN and OIL light come on and I shift it into N until it stops, then put it into Park.  Cool, no signal, no text, and I'm thinking I have no fuel or spark, but I don't have my tools with me and it's about to get dark in the canyon.  I pop the hood and look around for anything obvious, but no dice.  I'm walking out...

Phantom Canyon Road 1.jpg

Phantom Canyon Road 3.jpg

Phantom Canyon Road 4.jpg

Edited by Flamma
I'm not literate (see edit history)

About 2 miles back down the Canyon, and I finally get a signal and text the War Department.  She picks me up and I order towing 😁

Hagerty towing is a pretty good deal.  Dude flat bedded to my home with no issues.

I'm thinking, tomorrow I get to trouble-shoot the gremlin.  Fuel pump?  Coil?  Fuel filter?  A wire pop loose?

Phantom Canyon Road 5.jpg

Earlier today, I started to run the traps.

Popped the hood, removed the chrome lid, and the 150 lbs of cool antique air filter container.  That thing needs cleaned, and repainted (another day).  It could also go on a diet, might drop my 1/4 mile time a full second...

Cleaned up the carb a bit with some Berryman, and started checking wires.  While leaning into the engine compartment, I blasted my head on what I thought was the hood.  Then I realized it was something hanging down.  What the heck?  Is that a horn attached to the bottom of the hood?  Anyone ever seen this?

I then noticed the coil.  Hmmm...something not quite right here.

Riviera GS chrome lid.jpg

Under the chrome lid.jpg

what the hell is that.jpg

The coil...

I'm thinking, where is the coil wire to the distributor?  I count the spark plug wires and look for the 9th wire.  How did that wire fall off both?  LOL

Then I look more closely at the coil and notice the other wires are missing too.  LOL how was this car running?

Who wants to guess the answer?

Coil.jpg

Don't pitch that air cleaner assembly, that is part of the GS option on your Riv.

The horns are an option called 4 note horns and are original. Your car has the hood reinforcement plate which is often missing too. Many owners or mechanics removed the horns for the very reason you discovered them!  I once purchased a mid sixties Buick including original sales invoice which upon first inspection was missing the horns...I found them mounted behind the front bumper...nice surprise! BTW...is the trumpet part of your long horn metal or plastic? Looks like the metal one to me?

Someone mount an aftermarket coil somewhere?

Better luck next ride!

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

For the coil question, it became obsolete when someone put this HEI distributor in. 

The battery power wire (red wire) to the distributor came loose.  I took the top lid off the distributor out of curiosity.

Slightly re-crimped the red wire and plugged her back in - Problem solved.

distributor.jpg

distributor with cap off.jpg

the gremlin.jpg

where the gremlin should be.jpg

the gremlin home.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it was another beautiful day, and time for some more therapy.

Today, I worked on the trunk lid, and started chasing the power windows and vacuum lines to get the headlights to go up/down.

After applying my forehead to the wall several times on the trunk lid not opening, I was ready to work my way through the back seat.  Before that, I found the shiny red button in the glove box and pressed it several times (I had pressed it before, but not when the car was running).  On the 5th press, I heard a pop in the back!!  Holy shit it worked!  I opened it up and found a large box full of fuses and old parts, and a smaller box full of documents.  Documents from the original owner in California.  Pretty cool stuff.  Original 1968 stuff.  I will document those later.  I also found 4 carpet mats, although I don't think they are original.  They stink like old grandma's closets. 

Then, I noticed a huge light under, directly center, the trunk lid.  What the heck is this? I popped it out, and the wire/light ran all the way to the front tire.  That is damn cool.  When the trunk lid gets past half way down, the light goes out.  Also found a cool old/torn tire change sticker under the trunk lid.  I took everything out and checked the spare.  It's there, full of air (4 ply white wall tire), but no claw or lug nut wrench.  Also noticed some wiring/box attached to the back of the rear seat.  Anyone know what this might be for? 

Re-worked the trunk lid tumbler, re-aligned the latch, and the trunk lid seems to open/close now.  The red button in the glove box only seems to pop the latch about every 5-8 presses.

It was a good day.

Power windows and vacuum lines tomorrow...

glove box red button.jpg

trunk lid open!.jpg

under trunk lid portable light.jpg

trunk lid portable light.jpg

under trunk lid sticker.jpg

behind rear seat what is this.jpg

• Like 3