1968 Riviera GS - begin therapy -

Flamma

546747531_undertrunklidportablelight.jpg

Yes - that's an optional factory-supplied trouble light.  My '64 GP has one also.  They're pretty cool and as you have already demonstrated, pretty handy if you're ever stuck with a flat tire in the dark!  ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

This has to be the sharpest, best equipped 1968 Riviera I've seen. Enjoy it to the Max. Will you be bringing it to the Branson ROA meet in 2022?  You've got my vote. 

Thanks Ed ~ I hope to make it.

While it has a lot of factory options, it's got a loooong way to go before it wins anything :)  

It runs, and I'm having a blast with it, while not being afraid of putting a beer on the paint :) 

Cheers!

Back at it again today, working on power windows, vacuum door locks, and the insanity of the vacuum headlights.

I got the passenger front and both rear windows working from the driver's door (wiring was suspect), got the passenger front window working from the front passenger panel, but the back 2 power toggles wouldn't do their thing.  I then pulled the front driver door panel off and found the window motor was missing.  It looks like all the other hardware is present, and the window had been zip-tied in the up position.  The power locks are vacuum - great.  What group of GM engineers thought vacuum was such a great idea in 68?  Well, at least I know why the driver door window doesn't work.  I decided to leave the window up for now - time to look for a window motor.

Started in on the vacuum insanity.  I read and re-read the chassis manual, and dived in.  Replaced about 10-20 feet of old weak crappy vacuum lines, and tried to bring it back to what the manual shows.  There were lines all over the place, jerry-rigged, closed up, holes, and god knows what else previous people were thinking.  I get triggered now, just thinking about the thought-process of previous "mechanics", much less the engineers that thought this was all a good idea.  Needless to say, it is a work in progress.  Someone start a go fund me for my sanity.  LOL

Parts to buy currently:  At least 1 window motor (driver's door), potentially 2 vacuum headlight canisters, vacuum actuator (near battery) and vacuum light switch.

Question:  Can someone tell me (last picture) what the on/off switch on the right, that turns the little light green in the middle on - what is it's purpose? The one on the left is the power antenna - if I had to guess, I'd say it's my rear window defogger, but just a wild guess.

Cheers!

Driver door window motor missing.jpg

Driver door panel off.jpg

Driver door panel.jpg

what is this green light.jpg

On 9/23/2021 at 6:00 AM, RivNut said:

The one close up of the smaller of the two four note horns shows a "b" on it.  That's what it's tuned to.  Does anyone know what the other three are tuned to? 

Hi RivNut---on my 64 Electra-- the  1  small and 1 large  trumpet horns on drivers side are un marked,---but the other  2 on  passenger side by  a/c dryer   are  marked  E  that is low  and  F that is high.----but i removed those and fitted  the 4 note horns from late eighties that were fitted to Buick--Caddy, Olds,   because they really sound great---Santa Fe, freight  train   sound.   they are A-C-D-F   .  i have had these since   1991.

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

001.JPG

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)

On 10/13/2021 at 1:42 PM, ol' yeller said:

As I remember on my ‘69 years ago, a lot of the vacuum problems came from the plastic vacuum manifold on the firewall. At the time, it was made of unobtainium.

I have acquired some original, used, uncracked firewall vacuum ports. I also have the mid-1970's Buick replacement vacuum ports. Send me a message if interested in either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rivnut---i had another close look at my largest trumpet horn--and found  this  marking on it.--12v---897

P1100390.JPG

IMG_2119.jpg

I would think you should find a similar stamping on the small horn as well.  I know that the horns for the 63s, 64s, and 65s had stamps on both extra horns. It appears that the horns used in 68 may have been a carry over. From this chart for the 63 - 65 horns, the 22" horns for 64 and 65 were both stamped with 897 like yours.  Look at your small horn to see if it's the same as the small 65 horn, or perhaps one of the other small horns.  I got this information from the ROA's website.

Small horn

Large horn

length

pitch

stamp*

length

pitch

stamp*

14"

Bb

24"

C

12"

C

22"

D

N/A

B

930**

22"

D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

I would think you should find a similar stamping on the small horn as well.  I know that the horns for the 63s, 64s, and 65s had stamps on both extra horns. It appears that the horns used in 68 may have been a carry over. From this chart for the 63 - 65 horns, the 22" horns for 64 and 65 were both stamped with 897 like yours.  Look at your small horn to see if it's the same as the small 65 horn, or perhaps one of the other small horns.  I got this information from the ROA's website.

Small horn

Large horn

length

pitch

stamp*

length

pitch

stamp*

14"

Bb

24"

C

12"

C

22"

D

N/A

B

930**

22"

D

Thanks  Rivnut ,and showing me the chart,    regards.

• 2 weeks later...