Car Lingo You Hate

TAKerry

On 8/7/2021 at 4:46 PM, hook said:

Well gee wiz! I didn't know that the classic era cars were only recognized by the few members in the Classic Car Club of America. We must inform the AACA that their all wrong and must immediately get rid of their classes 19A, 19B, 19C, 19D and 19E. 

I'm not sure what your beef is here, in regard to AACA. Class 19 is described as those cars recognized by the CCCA.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, CarlLaFong said:

"Original Miles". I've seen aftermarket miles on Ebay but I shy away from them even though they are very inexpensive but they devalue your car

Plus, if you really dig into the history of the measurement of the "mile," the original Roman mile was actually 5,000 feet.

In the early 1970's there was fear of roll-over legislation, which momentarily spelled the end of the convertible, and pillarless hardtops.

When GM introduced the new redesigned A-bodies for 1973, their ad agency called them 'Colonnade hardtops', and Ford even referred to the full-size LTD's and Grand Marquis' as 'pillared hardtops' just because they had frameless door glass.  They are still four door SEDANS with a solid B-pillar, regardless if they have frameless door glass or not!

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Stupid morbid term for a common way in which the doors opened.

I take it as a warning. Have you opened a rear hinged door at speed? And forgot to take your hand off the handle in the resulting force? 

Just call them Peak-a-Boo doors.🤣  There is a reason car makers stopped designing the rear hinged front doors in a year or two after they appeared*. At least with the rear door opening on rear hinges the front door could be opened to provide privacy.😉

I know, a few foreign makes still produced them from time to time, like the Subaru 360, the one I was familiar with opening at city speed.👍 So that's why they make seat belts.😁

Peg leg, you made me research the term. No, never heard of it, and only a scant few Google references to it. I take it refers to when one wheel breaks loose, as in a normal rear axle situation. (Or front axle nowadays!)

R is for race is from Brother Dave Gardner.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Big Slip Daddy;image.png.217971998f443eddee90ae402e91fe37.png😉 

Just kidding real Big Slip Daddies' do this;

Cars Nothing like a factory 9.3

"Occam's razor".

This song is the victim of 50 years of misread/misheard lyrics that seeked out the need for slang that never existed.

The correct lyric is "Pink slip, daddy".  Which anyone from California (like writer Brian Wilson) would recognize instantly as they were under hot contention and gambled away at many a drag race, back in the day.

1495372915_pinkslip.jpg.1597bb2841bd251f2de07ff0fbe7fe19.jpg

50% of the bands that play my club and perform Roadhouse Blues by the Doors sing the lyric: "Ashen lady give up your vows" which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, even given the license of poetic ambiguity, and always makes me cringe just a bit.   But that's the way someone heard it and, as anyone can enter lyrics at the online lyric websites like A-Z Lyrics, Genius Lyrics, etc. many have come to believe this nonsensical line is what should be sung.

The other 50% have done their homework and get it right: "Passionate lady, give up your vows". 

16583784_occamsrazor.jpg.777e930c84b3c0675a43593c3c893237.jpg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Have you opened a rear hinged door at speed? And forgot to take your hand off the handle in the resulting force? 

There is a reason car makers stopped designing the rear hinged front doors in a year or two after they appeared.

At least with the rear door opening on rear hinges the front door could be opened to provide privacy.

The definition of suicide is intentionally causing one's own death. What you're describing is an accident... a very stupid accident, but nonetheless.

Car makers did not stop making rear-hinged doors in a year or two after they appeared.

Your last line has me totally befuddled as to what you're trying to convey.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Plus, if you really dig into the history of the measurement of the "mile," the original Roman mile was actually 5,000 feet.

It probably depended on which unit in the Roman army marched the mille passuum (thousand paces) though wikipedia claims it was the equivalent of 4854 feet.

One of my pet peeves with respect to talking about cars is “old skool”. First, because it usually seems to describe something that wasn’t done in the old days. Secondly, if it was done in the old days the old timers would probably not use the term “old school” for whatever it was and certainly would not spell it “old skool”. 

• Thanks 1

A peg leg is a open differential , wheelspin to the tire with the least amount of resistance.= a one legged person, a one driving wheel car.

A big slip Daddy is a 9" Ford or better yet a 9.3" Pontiac/ Oldsmobile Limited slip differential,  hence the big slip for limited slip moniker. That's something that went around So. Cal. in about 1958. Guy's with fast year old 57 Chevys were constantly blowing their rear ends up until they figured out that a 9.3 limited slip diff and housing from a 57 leaf spring Pontiac fit a 57 Chev= problem solved, and a 58 Pontiac coil spring 9.3 would fit in a coil spring 58 Chev.  

Who is Brian Wilson anyway? some kind of car guy?

1 hour ago, ply33 said:

Should I assume this is a joke? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wilson

Not a car guy but did write some car songs like 

Oh that Brian Wilson, you're right, not a car guy. Heck, he didn't even know how to surf ! Imagine that a guy that grew up in a area 6 miles from the beach too!

Us surfers had a name for those kind of people. Look up the word HODAD

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

and Car makers did not stop making rear-hinged doors in a year or two after they appeared.

Peek-a-boo doors, aka front doors that were rear hinged, were popular in 1934 and 1935. By 1936 they were gone. I do see some Chrysler models had them in the early 30s, I'm sure there were other examples made in other years, as there is hardly a never in the automotive world.😄

At least with the rear door opening on rear hinges the front door could be opened to provide privacy.

I see, you did not have parents who grew up in the depression and saw women exit the car with the peek-a-boo doors. If it was a rear door, one just leaves the front door open and line of sight from other bystanders to the exiting rear seat passenger is blocked, hence a privacy or modesty screen.

On a similar note, when I was stuck in I-95 traffic one night for over an hour, another driver had to use the bathroom in the middle of the interstate. A fellow driving a utility bed truck in the left lane said, right over here, and opened two of the utility body doors. Instant modesty screen. 😉

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Peek-a-boo doors, aka front doors that were rear hinged, were popular in 1934 and 1935. By 1936 they were gone. I do see some Chrysler models had them in the early 30s, I'm sure there were other examples made in other years, as there is hardly a never in the automotive world.😄

Front-opening doors were around long before and long after.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pfeil said:

A peg leg is a open differential , wheelspin to the tire with the least amount of resistance.= a one legged person, a one driving wheel car.

A big slip Daddy is a 9" Ford or better yet a 9.3" Pontiac/ Oldsmobile Limited slip differential,  hence the big slip for limited slip moniker. That's something that went around So. Cal. in about 1958. Guy's with fast year old 57 Chevys were constantly blowing their rear ends up until they figured out that a 9.3 limited slip diff and housing from a 57 leaf spring Pontiac fit a 57 Chev= problem solved, and a 58 Pontiac coil spring 9.3 would fit in a coil spring 58 Chev.  

Who is Brian Wilson anyway? some kind of car guy?

Yeah... I'm not buying it.

50 years of hanging around drag straps, almost every Winternational event, endless machine shops, ten thousand car magazines, etc. and I have never heard that expression used or recognized by anyone, except in reference to that song.  Like I said, a mistake in search of legitimacy. 

The "big slip daddy" explanation is pure urban mythology.

On 8/18/2021 at 9:32 PM, Frank DuVal said:

There was a time this was a proper statement, as odometers rolled over at 100K, with only the seller's word that it was Original Miles. That 50,000 miles 5 year old car could have been a salesman's car....and NOT original miles showing.😁

No matter how hard you spin it "Original miles" is dumb. The term everyone is looking for is "Actual Miles"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Yeah... I'm not buying it.

50 years of hanging around drag straps, almost every Winternational event, endless machine shops, ten thousand car magazines, etc. and I have never heard that expression used or recognized by anyone, except in reference to that song.  Like I said, a mistake in search of legitimacy. 

The "big slip daddy" explanation is pure urban mythology.

Well, 50 years puts you in 1971. I'm talking late 50's when my Dad raced in A stock and myself with the same car in F stock and a Funny car  in 1965. Take the word "Funny Car" back in 1965 and ask someone what that meant compared to what it meant in 1975. By that time most people don't know how it originated and why it was called what it was.

Same holds true with the term " surf music ". Today most people think Beach Boys, Ventures, BelAirs, Dick Dale, Chantays, etc. To us surfers that was NOT surf music. What was played at parties or luaus was either traditional Hawaiian music or Exoticia or a form of jazz. 

A example of Exotica would be; Les Baxter - Tropicando

Les Baxter - Tropicando - YouTube

A example of the jazz you would hear at parties 

"Like Young Andre Previn - YouTube

Or the lead song Bruce Brown used in the surf movie "Surfing hollow Days" when they showed the Queen of the coast " Rincon Point"

"A Cool Shade of Blue" - Original Stereo LP - HQ - YouTube

Dave Brubeck - Take Five - YouTube

The above is "Surf Music"!

• Thanks 1

According to Wikipedia;

Funny Car is a type of drag racing vehicle and a specific racing class in organized drag racing. Funny cars are characterized by having tilt-up fiberglass or carbon fiber automotive bodies over a custom-fabricated chassis, giving them an appearance vaguely approximating manufacturers' showroom models.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in 1964-65 they were altered showroom models and originally the bodies were all steel with some aluminum and fiberglass components!

The point I was trying to make to Greg about Big Slip D is that terminology changes through the years. 1971 terminology was different than 1958 along with the people involved.

To clarify, I should have said 50+ years as I was enjoying the drags in the 1960's.

Yes, I am completely aware of what an original funny car was with their altered wheel base steel bodies.

815887474_funnycar.jpg.58949b4e57f1a122d194758553323633.jpg

But this is pretty common knowledge among both racers and fans.

What is not common knowledge among racers or fans is anyone ever having used the term "big slip" for a positraction differential.   Most terminology of this era is readily found in vintage drag mags, Motor Trend (since 1949), Hot Rod, CarToons, Road & Track, etc.  Your misheard lyrics show up in none of these periodicals.  

If I am wrong please share an example from an article or a quote from a driver of any era that can support your argument otherwise you're just perpetuating the urban myth. 

I enjoy a good debate and I'm always happy to learn something new.

We can save the music terminology for another day, but I will say this; I knew Dick Dale before he passed away (nice guy) and he was adamant that "surf music" and "surf songs" were in completely different categories.

902164632_dickDale.jpg.2b500a9f50271b3d04d7000802b69086.jpg

3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

To clarify, I should have said 50+ years as I was enjoying the drags in the 1960's.

Yes, I am completely aware of what an original funny car was with their altered wheel base steel bodies.

815887474_funnycar.jpg.58949b4e57f1a122d194758553323633.jpg

But this is pretty common knowledge among both racers and fans.

What is not common knowledge among racers or fans is anyone ever having used the term "big slip" for a positraction differential.   Most terminology of this era is readily found in vintage drag mags, Motor Trend (since 1949), Hot Rod, CarToons, Road & Track, etc.  Your misheard lyrics show up in none of these periodicals.  

If I am wrong please share an example from an article or a quote from a driver of any era that can support your argument otherwise you're just perpetuating the urban myth. 

I enjoy a good debate and I'm always happy to learn something new.

We can save the music terminology for another day, but I will say this; I knew Dick Dale before he passed away (nice guy) and he was adamant that "surf music" and "surf songs" were in completely different categories.

902164632_dickDale.jpg.2b500a9f50271b3d04d7000802b69086.jpg

slip daddy?

Last Updated: 13th May, 2021

What's a big slip daddy?

Last Updated: 13th May, 2021

May 13, 2021 — The 'Big Slip Daddy' was a nickname for another hot-rod car part, a limited-slip differential for the rear axle, allowing the driver to get ...
The "Big Slip Daddy" was a nickname for another hot-rod car part, a limited-slip differential for the rear axle, allowing the driver to get better acceleration (and also allowed him to "burn rubber" more impressively). - Submitted by: David. Beach Boys', "Little Deuce Coupe"

Click to see full answer.

Besides, why do they call it a deuce coupe?

Deuce coupe. A deuce coupe (deuce indicating the year "2" in 1932) is a 1932 Ford coupe. The iconic stature of the 1932-vintage Ford in hot rodding inspired The Beach Boys to write their hit 1963 song "Little Deuce Coupe" and they also named one of their three 1963 albums after the car.

Also, who wrote surfer girl? Brian Wilson

Keeping this in consideration, what is a little deuce coupe car?

A Deuce Coupe is a 1932 Ford Coupe (deuce being for the year). This was considered by many to be the definitive "hot rod". The Model B had four cylinders and the Model 18 featured the Ford flathead V8 engine when the car was introduced.

Who wrote Little Deuce Coupe?

Brian Wilson Roger Christian

I like this one;

Misheard Song Lyrics -> Stories -> Beach Boys

Misheard lyrics (also called mondegreens) occur when people misunderstand the lyrics in a song. These are NOT intentional rephrasing of lyrics, which is called parody. For more information about the misheard lyrics available on this site, please read our FAQ.

This page contains a list of the songs that have stories about their misheard lyrics submitted.

Song names are sorted by first letter, excluding A and The. This is sorted by song title only, not by song title and performer. So if two different performers preformed the same song, you'll see misheard lyrics for both on the same page (provided the song title was spelt the same both times, and misheard lyrics have been submitted for both!).

Beach Boys', "Little Duece Coup"
The Misheard Lyrics:
There's one more thing, I got the Big Slip Daddys.
The Real Lyrics:
There's one more thing, I got the pink slip, Daddy.
The Story: In high school in the 70's , we thought the Big Slip Daddys were either the limited slip differential rear end, or slicks (rear tires). - Submitted by: John Connolly

Interesting when searching for a Big Slip D I get How to install a eaton unit for GM 10 bolt, Tech information on differences between open and limited slip differentials etc.  

ugh!

OK, I give up....

If you don't understand Occam's Razor,

it's all yours brother.  I will not win anything in this (fun) debate, but I promise you Pfiel, I would love to buy you a cocktail and sit together for a good half hour and listen to a great live band!

🍻

18 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

No matter how hard you spin it "Original miles" is dumb. The term everyone is looking for is "Actual Miles"

As opposed to miles that aren't "actual"? I think the correct term is simply .... "miles". A mile is a mile. An actual mile, or an original mile, is still 5,280 feet.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

As opposed to miles that aren't "actual"? I think the correct term is simply .... "miles". A mile is a mile. An actual mile, or an original mile, is still 5,280 feet.

Then how to differentiate between a car that has 21,000 miles from new and a car that has 21,000 miles on a restoration where the speedometer was reset to 0?