Texas Road Warriors ---Auburn Assault: Cars? Museums? Breweries!

old-tank

11 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

The show is over and I am tired. I judged Reattas and Roadmaster for the BCA. Lots of fun and lots of nice cars. Brian put together a good show.

My Cadillac got judged for HPOF class (Historic preservation of Features). In other words, how original is the car. I knew a couple of issues but the judges decided I was worthy of a nice plaque. YEA !

Lots of nice cars on the show field including race cars and old tow trucks. Now on to Nashville for a few days.

Thank you Bill for the kind words. It was great to see you and Dee and many other Buick owners. Congratulations on your HPOF award with AACA, your car was very deserving of the award.

Thank you for your help in judging the Buicks for this show within a show.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, 364nailhead said:

Ole Pete seemed to have missed my 57 sitting across the street from Matt's 41 and the 56... Lol!!

IMG_20210702_185959694_HDR.jpg

Thats a sweet 57!  What is the name of the and upper body color ?

I saw someone on the highway heading west on 70 this morning…stopped in Brazil IL for fuel, and as we were leaving, we saw his car sitting at a pump!  We were already headed out of the gas station otherwise would have stopped and chatted. 

We made it home with no problems.

40876E84-80B5-4F43-BB0D-A3B4198B16F0.jpeg

• Like 7

Party is over so now it's drive drive drive.  480 mi to sikeston Missouri.  Nice cool weather averaging 16.2 miles per gallon.  Traffic was light and very few trucks.  Only real exctement was a lady (?) trying to merge who had a long acceleration ramp but decided she wanted my Lane while I was in it.  Honking did not help so I slowed and moved over while watching her give me the finger.  Tomorrow it will be back to wall-to-wall trucks.  Planning on the 400 miles to Texarkana.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Star struck??   He is a retired pet Dr!!😁. Easily impressed, are you?     Seriously, Willie is a great guy.

Ben

Willie told me he was a Cat Mechanic!      😂

• Haha 3

I made it home last night. I made it all the way to Auburn on one tank of gas so assumed I would make it home on one tank of gas. I was fighting the wind so I should have been paying more attention. I ran out of gas at the exact mile marker my house is lined up with. The house is a mile from I-70 but luckily I had 2 gallons of gas in the bed that got me the 3 more miles to the gas station. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Glad you made it home.  We did 5 hours to Evansville Indiana where we met up with friends who live here.  No excitement except for a poor lunch choice. Never get a garlic burger. Sounded good but wasn’t. Car ran fine and the road were clear.  We are hanging around Evansville till Tuesday when we go to Nashville. Had a poor tank of gas and got 14 mpg on this leg of the trip.

The best thing I found on my way out of Auburn was this air station outside a Firestone dealer….

I stopped and made sure all my tires were properly inflated.

96FA3CCE-F0D8-4DBC-9347-CF19B56C8821.jpeg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 7

400 miles to Texarkana.  Much hotter today with congested traffic.  Not so many trucks but 10 times as many little cars, little cars fighting over the lanes look like roaches scattering when you turn on the light.  One wreck on the opposite lane where a Toyota Prius hit the attenuation fence and got a little hairlipped.  At least the fence did his job without having that car coming to a head on in our Lane.  Had a little scary when I truck tried to pass or did pass on the shoulder at 80 mph.  I expected to see him upsidedown down further down the road. 

The only downside was I found my gas door open when I came down this morning.  The gas cap was still in place and I hope that they only got a little gas but did not put anything in my tank.  That's the only time I think the car was messed with and all these years of driving cross country.  425 mi back to home and it may be a few days before the last update.  Tell Bill stoneberg that the imperial stout beers tasted real good.😆

• Like 6

Willie, I got your message but I am restricted access so could not send from the restaurant. I had two Schwartzbiers that were tasty tonight. 
tomorrow we leave for 3 days in Nashville with friends. Good Indian food at an award winning restaurant and who knows what else we may find.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK.  Going the 250 miles r so from Evansville In to Nashville.  We were running on the back road when the radio went out. Pretty soon the AC stopped.  Luckily we were near a town that had a Car Quest.  We pulled n, turned off the car and got the girl behind the counter to check my battery / Alternator.  Both were dead as we found it.  Luckier still they had an alternator for a 1980 Cadillac AND a mechanic to replace it.

3 hours later I had a new battery and alternator. All for $177.

on to Nashville and made it in time to catch the limo that was taking us to Dinner.

AC5A0E67-814B-4FA8-B546-F5C1209C80D8.jpeg

• Like 7

Dinner last night was at Chauhans Ale House in downtown Nashville. All 6 of us love Indian Food so we ordered 1 of everything. Along with drinks we had a great meal. With a limo to take us home, we had a great tme.

Here is our table before starting in

4304606D-0F9B-407E-AB7F-9C535557AFA9.jpeg

• Like 3

Back home.  2705 miles total at 16 mpg overall.  Used 1 qt of oil and one pint to tranny fluid.  It was difficult getting used to the harsher ride of the wife's 2008 Marquis and my 97 F150.  i said it in my earlier post...that Buick is a fantastic car!  Easy riding and easy to drive as any modern car.  If interested ask about the (few) modification the made it this way.

Great show to get together with old and new friends.  Thanks to Brian DePouli and the AACA for a great time.  After attending a successful show, I still don't understand the BCA cancellations :(.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 7/8/2021 at 11:50 AM, old-tank said:

Back home.  2705 miles total at 16 mpg overall.  Used 1 qt of oil and one pint to tranny fluid.  It was difficult getting used to the harsher ride of the wife's 2008 Marquis and my 97 F150.  i said it in my earlier post...that Buick is a fantastic car!  Easy riding and easy to drive as any modern car.  If interested ask about the (few) modification the made it this way.

Great show to get together with old and new friends.  Thanks to Brian DePouli and the AACA for a great time.  After attending a successful show, I still don't understand the BCA cancellations :(.

One quart of oil. And one quart of tranny fluid on a 2705 mile drive. Wow! Yes, tell us, what little modifications you did. Willie.

Going to make it home today. Drove from Nashville to Hope AR (home of Bill and Hillary) yesterday. Went through Memphis and if you can avoid it I would. The I 40 bridge is shut down so everybody has to go over i55.  I sat in traffic for a half an hour and I was lucky. The traffic going east was backed up all the way and I 40 going east. What a mess.

I got slowed down by my cell carrier for using too much of their bandwidth but I can still use Waze and listen to XM radio. The radio drops sometime as I am using the cell phone app but it beats trying to find a real radio station.

I am tired of hotels and their breakfasts so it will be good to get home.

We had a great time outside,of Nashville with friends we had not seen for a couple of years. The house we stayed in was set up as a party house. Pool table 2 foosball  tables and a shuffleboard table. We used them all but played more pool then anything else. Much Bourbon, Tequila, vodka and Beer was consumed. We are all good cooks so some tremendous food was made and eaten. All in all a good 3 day party.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Got home yesterday with no issues except the a-hole drivers once they woke up. it’s amazing how rude they can be. Finally escaped the interstates and got on the secondary roads in Texas.  
We went 2964 miles total. 15.6 mpg. 1 alternator and 1 new battery.

Glad to be home but glad I went to an AACA meet. Brian and Syd Meyer did a great job setting it up and putting it on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 7/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, 364nailhead said:

One quart of oil. And one quart of tranny fluid on a 2705 mile drive. Wow! Yes, tell us, what little modifications you did. Willie.

Nothing special about the engine, just a stock rebuild with quality parts like Sealed Power moly rings running Castrol 20-50 oil.  That rate of oil consumption has not changed in 110 000 miles.  I had the cylinder heads off at 85,000miles and there were still hone marks in the cylinders and the cam and lifters were pristine.  Tranny was out for front seals 3 years ago and does not leak driven locally less than 100 miles, but will leak on extended road trips.  With modern lubricants I don't think you can wear out a Buick.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1