For Sale: 1937 Dodge D-5 Sedan - $5,000 - Islip, Long Island, NY - Not Mine

For Sale: 1937 Dodge D-5 Sedan - $5,000 - Islip, Long Island, NY

1937 Dodge D-5 Sedan - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive... (craigslist.org)

1937 Dodge four door sedan. Was running when parked. Flathead six. Three speed. Radio, heater, crank out windshield . Extra motor, trans, front end, rear end, bumpers etc. Too many parts to list. Bill of sale only. Good condition. Needs work. odometer: 42000

Copy and paste in your email:  990f6fd6b381331c8d443bc11d515438@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 Dodge D-5 Sedan.

Note: NYS began titles in 1973, prior to that the old registration, bill of sale and receipt of purchase price was/is sufficient

'37 Dodge D-5 Sedan LINY a.jpg

'37 Dodge D-5 Sedan LINY b.jpg

'37 Dodge D-5 Sedan LINY c.jpg

'37 Dodge D-5 Sedan LINY d.jpg

'37 Dodge D-5 Sedan LINY e.jpg

'37 Dodge D-5 Sedan LINY f.jpg

'37 Dodge D-5 Sedan LINY g.jpg

• Like 1

If it ran when parked, why the extra drivetrain stockpile? I saw this on CL, it looks good- neat style, good bones, but wouldn't it be more sellable without the extra parts? If I was seriously interested, I would wonder how to haul them, where to store them and think maybe I really need to use them to get it on the road. The seller could sell those separately after he sells the car and make out better in my opinion. It kind of limits the sale to someone that has the space, owns equipment to deal with it and has a crew willing to help move the stuff.

The Mopar six and drivetrain are about as basic and easy to work on as any vehicle from the era can be.  The spare parts likely were acquired from another 1937 Dodge that was street rodded.   The parts are a virtual give-away since there is little demand for them.   Even if it turns out to need more extensive work, this is an opportunity to buy an entry-level collector car for a cheap price.    New York State did not issue titles until 1973, the paperwork that comes with this car would be enough to get it registered.   

• Like 2

I'm thinking it might be an estate sale of a deceased long-term owner. Executor just wants it gone. Maybe just needs fresh gas and a battery to run? The 40-year previous owner of my LaSalle had an extra motor, rear end, etc. that I had no way to move and no place to store, so he sold them through the local Cad-LaSalle club chapter.

To my eye, it looks too well cared-for to have much wrong mechanically.

Might be a great deal for somebody. And you can sell some of the lights to defray the purchase cost!

• Like 1

No doubt there is not a shortage of lights on this car. It took me six months to get a North Carolina title on my car and I had a California title in hand. This is why acquiring a car from out of state without a title would be a problem for me. If you live in New York and this is accepted practice then that is a different story. North Carolina will check the vin number (even though vins did not exist until 1954) and match this to the engine number (how many 80 year old cars have the original engine?) and then match this to your title, which you don't have.  You could end up with a bonded title. Great looking car with a lot of lights though and a very reasonable price.

This would be a very nice Glidden tour car. What’s not to like? Solid roof so no leaks if it rains. As dependable as they come. Comfortable, check. Roomy, so you can bring your friends. The condition is such that you don’t have to worry about scratches but still presentable. And look at the entry level price!  Zeke

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John S. said:

I agree with 58L-Y8. These Mopar 6 cyl. are great running cars that take a lot of punishment. They are easy to get running. Car is worth a look. John

Absolutely! Forty some years ago I bought a 35 Dodge, my first old car. I called it “eternal combustion “.