Our brush with Prince Philip

Restorer32

In the mid 1990's we did a considerable amount of work on a 1921 Rolls Ghost Touring for the late Dick Prizer of Newtown, PA.  Later, Dick was contacted by Rolls Royce of America asking if they could use his car as the centerpiece for the unveiling of the new RR models at the Four Seasons restaurant in NYC.   Dick gave his consent and the Rolls was shipped.  Dick and his wife were invited to the ceremony.  Turned out Prince Philip was the honored guest. The Prince loved the car and spent some time sitting in it with Dick and discussing cars.  Dick's impression?  "The Prince is a regular guy".

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, jerry k said:

prince.jpg

I'm pretty sure this pic is Charles - had the chance to meet him many years ago at a car show I was involved with in Scotland at historic Glamis Castle where he was visiting.  He helped pass out trophies there.  He impressed me also as being a genuine old car enthusiast and was easy to talk with.  I think it runs in the family.  Of course we can't argue with his choice in cars - as it says on one of Susan's tea mugs here - "God save the MG, the Queen can handle herself."
Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I understand that at one time the Queen was an avid automobile enthusiast as well. I remember reading about what her favorite cars to drive were etc. Cant remember what they were now.

Prince Philip lived a very long celebrated life, but it will be a major shock to the UK when the Queen passes. Most of the people have never lived under a different monarch.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

I'm pretty sure this pic is Charles - had the chance to meet him many years ago at a car show I was involved with in Scotland at historic Glamis Castle where he was visiting.  He helped pass out trophies there.  He impressed me also as being a genuine old car enthusiast and was easy to talk with.  I think it runs in the family.  Of course we can't argue with his choice in cars - as it says on one of Susan's tea mugs here - "God save the MG, the Queen can handle herself."
Terry

Prince Charles and Camilla Bowles 

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I understand that at one time the Queen was an avid automobile enthusiast as well. I remember reading about what her favorite cars to drive were etc. Cant remember what they were now.

Prince Philip lived a very long celebrated life, but it will be a major shock to the UK when the Queen passes. Most of the people have never lived under a different monarch.

I remember a TV show (60 Minutes, I think) that showed her not so long ago tearing across the Scottish moor in her Range Rover.  😁

4 hours ago, jerry k said:

Good catch T. A.  Check the license plate.  Was this taken during a visit to Cuba ?? 

That would explain the left-hand drive.  Looks like Charles has the pedal to the metal and Camilla is waving with one hand while holding on for dear life with the other.  🤣

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

That would explain the left-hand drive.  Looks like Charles has the pedal to the metal and Camilla is waving with one hand while holding on for dear life with the other.  🤣

Trying to outrun the Paraparazzi?

Craig

There are stories of HM the Queen sneaking out of Buckingham Palace compound and driving herself around London. Seems she had a Vauxhall Cresta wagon she was really partial to... along with an assortment of Rovers, Daimlers and Jaguars. Yes, Elizabeth Windsor is a car enthusiast. Long may she reign!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rocketraider said:

There are stories of HM the Queen sneaking out of Buckingham Palace compound and driving herself around London. Seems she had a Vauxhall Cresta wagon she was really partial to... along with an assortment of Rovers, Daimlers and Jaguars. Yes, Elizabeth Windsor is a car enthusiast. Long may she reign!

Reportedly, that Friary-bodied 1959 Cresta wagon still survives.  She replaced it with a one-off 1965 Vanden Plas 4-Litre R wagon specially made by British Motor Corporation for her.

Craig

On 4/13/2021 at 8:48 AM, TAKerry said:

All the Royal family are car people. They have kept all their cars since the beginning. I have been on some very nice tours with them over the years. And have been lucky enough to see the Royal Garage at Windsor. The stable was also very nice. The caretaker in the garage has been there for 40 years, and I enjoyed spending time with him. Most of the photos I have can't be published as per a gentleman's agreement. I was lucky to sit in many of the cars, including the Queens regular limo. The stable is cleaner than the guest bathroom at your house. First photos the garage keeper.

I can't find the photo of me speaking to the Royal Family about our car. When I was giving them the history, Prince Michael got a phone call, and he placed his glass of champagne on the fender of out Custom Packard Dietrich. It was the fist time I had to ever hold my boss back at a social situation. I "waved him off"  LOL. Afterwards the Prince apologized. It was a fantastic day.........

I wish I could post all the photos I have. The field we were on was where the "Knights of the Round Table" building actually was back in 1066. The garage keeper told me it was the first time in 40 years he had seen anyone on the grass.......including himself!

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3673.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3559.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

All the Royal family are car people. They have kept all their cars since the beginning. I have been on some very nice tours with them over the years. And have been lucky enough to see the Royal Garage at Windsor. The stable was also very nice. The caretaker in the garage has been there for 40 years, and I enjoyed spending time with him. Most of the photos I have can't be published as per a gentleman's agreement. I was lucky to sit in many of the cars, including the Queens regular limo. The stable is cleaner than the guest bathroom at your house. First photos the garage keeper.

I can't find the photo of me speaking to the Royal Family about our car. When I was giving them the history, Prince Michael got a phone call, and he placed his glass of champagne on the fender of out Custom Packard Dietrich. It was the fist time I had to ever hold my boss back at a social situation. I "waved him off"  LOL. Afterwards the Prince apologized. It was a fantastic day.........

I wish I could post all the photos I have. The field we were on was where the "Knights of the Round Table" building actually was back in 1066. The garage keeper told me it was the first time in 40 years he had seen anyone on the grass.......including himself!

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3673.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3559.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG