Buicks at Auburn Celebration - July 1-3, 2021 Auburn Auction Park Auburn, Indiana

38Buick 80C

Since the main thread is locked by Peter I will start this one so that I may help answer questions.

I'm excited to chair the Buick portion of this event and very thankful to Steve, AACA and the BHA for embracing it , in the spirit of the overall promotion of the hobby.

We hope to have a large turn out of Buicks for those who are comfortable partaking in the activities planned.

For the registration and meet trifold visit:   AACA Buick Show

Edited by MrEarl
Edit title fix link (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh and I need class judges. Please contact me if you can help. Buick judging will be from 9-11am so as not to interfere with AACA. Buick judging will be relatively simple (not 400pt) so while AACA or BCA judging is a plus it is not necessary. 

37 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'll be there and would be happy to volunteer. Is this separate from the AACA show or are all the cars going to be in the same place?

We will be in the same area as cars can be judged in both shows, but the Buicks will have their own display area. I haven't yet specifically seen the overall showfield layout.

I still owe you a meal, too, Brian! 

Melanie and I will both be there and we'd be happy to help. You should take advantage of Melanie's incredible logistics and organizational skills. She really makes things happen.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Since the main thread is locked by Peter I will start this one so that I may help answer questions.

I announced it in the Buick General forum, but I thought it best everyone use the target topic to make comments so I locked the announcement topic.

Here is fine too. Although most of the answers are also in the target topic.

18 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I announced it in the Buick General forum, but I thought it best everyone use the target topic to make comments so I locked the announcement topic.

Here is fine too. Although most of the answers are also in the target topic.

My intention was to answer the Buick portion specific questions here. Though of course some overlap will happen. Sorry if I created confusion.

Booked at the Sure Stay by Best Western in Auburn,  I missed two years ago because the Meet was a Grand National and last year due to the virus.  The US/Canada border will have to be open for tourist traffic, here's hoping.

Regards, Gary 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Do we have to show in the Buick area or can we choose to be in our regular AACA classes? 

If you register for AACA only you will be with AACA. If you register for the Buick show you will be with the Buicks

• Thanks 1

No, John this is the beauty of the event which we have done for several years with other groups.  Join in the fun and show with the Buick guys but you do have to register with them, however, if you want to take advantage of the 1/2 year AACA membership at only $20 you can also register to be judged in AACA at the same time.  Totally your call. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

No, John this is the beauty of the event which we have done for several years with other groups.  Join in the fun and show with the Buick guys but you do have to register with them, however, if you want to take advantage of the 1/2 year AACA membership at only $20 you can also register to be judged in AACA at the same time.  Totally your call. 

I would highly recommend any non AACA members take advantage of this offer if only for the magazine which is fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This was noted in the other thread but wanted to highlight it here as well.

Judging will take place on July 3rd at the Auburn Buick Celebration. Please note that we will not be using BCA, AACA or any other club judging programs for this event.  Our judging will be unique to this show. All Buicks must be on the show field by 9AM for the start of judging and complete by 11AM. Judging will be conducted by a judging team per class and 3 vehicles per class will be selected for a class award. There will also be special recognition awards for various categories (e.g. Outstanding Pre-War, Post-War, etc.), these cars will be selected by a distinct judging team from any class team and who will look at all Buicks on the show field. At 2:30PM on the show field we will recognize the winners and distribute the awards at this time (COVID restrictions will dictate how we actually do this). The AACA BBQ dinner will follow as per the schedule and AACA’s awards will follow that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Will there be an area for Display Only

The whole showfield is a display 🙂, but in this case a car is registered for the judged show there is no driven or display distinction. If you don't want to be judged, close the hood and lock the car and go enjoy the rest of the Buicks.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, 38Buick 80C said:

Judging will be conducted by a judging team per class and 3 vehicles per class will be selected for a class award

So will the 400 point system be used IE judging against authenticity or the condition the car was originally delivered in.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, 38Buick 80C said:

...Judging will take place on July 3rd at the Auburn Buick Celebration. Please note that we will not be using BCA, AACA or any other club judging programs for this event.  Our judging will be unique to this show. All Buicks must be on the show field by 9AM for the start of judging and complete by 11AM. Judging will be conducted by a judging team per class and 3 vehicles per class will be selected for a class award. There will also be special recognition awards for various categories (e.g. Outstanding Pre-War, Post-War, etc.), these cars will be selected by a distinct judging team from any class team and who will look at all Buicks on the show field. At 2:30PM on the show field we will recognize the winners and distribute the awards at this time (COVID restrictions will dictate how we actually do this). The AACA BBQ dinner will follow as per the schedule and AACA’s awards will follow that.

Lamar, as stated per Brian previously.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

what he said...

may I ask what criteria they will be judged against then? Anything resembling “as delivered” or what? What “”unique judging” will be used? I think it would help owners and be useful to know  before registering in order to know what class to enter or whether to enter period. 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

may I ask what criteria they will be judged against then? Anything resembling “as delivered” or what? What “”unique judging” will be used? I think it would help owners and be useful to know  before registering in order to know what class to enter or whether to enter period. 

The modified class should be for modified cars

The regular classes would be for authentically correct cars.

The "unique" phrase was more an indication that it is NOT AACA or BCA 400pt judging than it is anything particularly special.

I'm still finalizing the exact nature of how we will conduct the judging but for the regular classes it would be authenticity and condition based, for Survival class authenticity and preservation of original features based, for Modified class condition and degree/skill of modification. 

In my opinion Modified class is always the hardest to judge as it can be the most subjective and hardest to create an objective judging format.

Does that answer your question because keep in mind we have to complete judging in a 2 hour period with a potentially limited amount of volunteer judging teams. Respectfully I am not willing to make the Buick judging overly complex for that reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

it does and thank you,  it’s just that it’s  hard figuring out what class the wagon fits in even knowing the judging criteria. I know now, thanks. 

I'd suggest regular class by year, not modified, though I know you have made some improvements the Buick Engineers didn't think of or couldn't get past the bean counters.

The tallest of the three awards will be given out to the lucky winners of special glass awards at Auburn.  They are much prettier in person and were used at the Elegance at Hershey Concours in 2019.  Really gorgeous and unique!  Hope you folks can join in on the fun. The gold/black award is  the class award being given out ( 3 per class).

idea 1.jpg

BHA award.jpg

• Like 1

• MrEarl changed the title to Buicks at Auburn Celebration - July 1-3, 2021 Auburn Auction Park Auburn, Indiana

I had inquired in the AACA thread about possible RV/Camper parking at the RM site and received the following pm from @Steve Moskowitz Thanks Steve

Steve: To use their spaces where they will provide electrical hook ups they want $50 per day.  They would be close to show field and only room for 5 or 6.  There is a major development with the site that will add some challenge to our event but we will make it happen nonetheless.  

Lamar: Thanks Steve. and water? But no sewer or pumper?

Steve: No sewer or pumper for sure, not sure about water but will ask again.  Sorry. Not our property and there are going to be some renovations affecting certain areas that were formerly used for all the big RV's that came to the fall auction.

Lamar: No problem, thanks for looking into this for us Steve.  I'll continue looking for a good camping site in the area

• 1 month later...