One persons airing his opinion - antique car pricing

Joe in Canada

Here is a fellow that must be frustrated looking for a car and running a very different type of car add. Giving a little advise. I have never seen this type of an add in the want-adds. 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/cornwall-on/pontiac/1557016667

Pontiac

$320,000.00
Posted about 13 hours ago

Cornwall, ON K6J(View Map)

• Kilometers
  • Drivetrain
    Rear-wheel drive (RWD)
  • Fuel Type
    Diesel
  • No. of Doors
  • No. of Seats

Includes

• Sunroof
  • Alloy wheels
  • Cruise control
  • Trailer hitch
  • Air conditioning

Description

Do not be fooled thinking the prices on the cars for sale on Ki_i_ are relevant. They are not ! For some reason, people think a car from the 70"s is worth big money. I see lots of JUNK for sale at unbelievably high prices. They do no sell but they are pushing a fake trend to make you believe a 1976 Lincoln boat is worth 10k. I see so many cra_py cars for sale at top dollar which ain't worth 1/3 of asking price. be patient, bring a friend and ask around if a 1982 Prelude junk car is worth 12500 ! No chance. And for the retards that are trying to sell a 70 Cuda for 270000. That is what I am taking about. Dynacorn sells COMPLETE 1970 CHALLENGERs brand new for 25000 ! new, not rebuild. all new SHEET METAL. Buy and put your tags on !

I see the same trend here out West. Recently it's been worse than ever. Trying to cash in on the covid related price boom ? Hey in a way cars are even more limited in supply than puppy's and 2 x 4 's so perhaps a borderline collectible car really is worth $10,000 - $20,000. But somehow I doubt it . It's a free country ; both Canada and the U.S.A., so people can price their "collectable " cars at whatever wildly inflated price they wish. But from what I am generally seeing only the decently priced cars are actually selling.

Greg

• Like 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to One persons airing his opinion - antique car pricing

Yes, the sarcasm was reasonably obvious. Is this sort of over the top, asking price trend occurring in U.S. Craigslist  listings as well ?

Is there a substantial pool of sellers " fishing for fools" ? 

Greg

On the US side most of the old car ads migrated to Facebook when Craigslist started charging for ads. I don't really blame Craigslist because the amount of spam was getting ridiculous. I do miss browsing the car ads as I do not use Facebook.

• Like 3

The greatest problems arise when someone who doesn't know what they are selling sells to someone who doesn't know what they are buying.

Although that has been the norm in the car hobby since I got involved, I am pretty sure those instances have increased excrementally in the last couple of decades.

Lots more "KodaChromes" and "Just another 10 minute job"'s these days.

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

On the US side most of the old car ads migrated to Facebook when Craigslist started charging for ads. I don't really blame Craigslist because the amount of spam was getting ridiculous. I do miss browsing the car ads as I do not use Facebook.

I don't use facebook either but I can still browse the marketplace without an account. It's not like I was planning on buying anything on there anyway.😀 Craigslist was getting to be almost unusable with the amount of scam ads and junk on there though.

• Like 1

Interesting that CL is charging for automobile adverts in the U.S.. Here in Canada they are still free. I also almost never use Facebook. Craigslist is still very popular in British Columbia . Just that 25 % or so of the sellers are dreaming of hooking a big one.

Greg

• Thanks 1

I rarely sell so $5 is chump change. My lifelong philosophy has been buy low/sell reasonable. Besides usually when I sell it is to free up garage space for something else. But now cannot think of anything else I want, just a matched pair of SLKs (one manual trans, other automagic) and Allantes (both 89s - best year) plus the rest of the herd seems a little silly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The greatest problems arise when someone who doesn't know what they are selling sells to someone who doesn't know what they are buying.

Although that has been the norm in the car hobby since I got involved, I am pretty sure those instances have increased excrementally in the last couple of decades.

Lots more "KodaChromes" and "Just another 10 minute job"'s these days.

Wouldn't that be incrementally?  OTOH, given the context, "excrementally" may be right after all.  🤣

• 2 weeks later...