For Sale: 1949 Desoto Custom sedan - Project - Price reduced to $4,600, June 2021 - Still Available, Price: $4,500: Oct-Nov 2021:

For Sale: 1949 Desoto Custom sedan - Project - $5,800 - Olathe, KS - Price Reduced to $5,200, March '21, see below.- Price Reduced to $5,000, April '21: - Price reduced to $4,600, June 2021: - Still Available, Price: $4,500: Oct-Nov 2021: See new link below.

1949 Dodge Desoto Custom - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

I have a 1949 Desoto Custom for sale.  It has the original 236 6 cyl engine with the Fluid Drive Trans
Although it is a project, this 72 year old car Runs, Drives and Stops.  This old Girl isn’t perfect but was well loved for many years and it shows.    The 2nd owner did an amateur restoration on it around 30-40 years ago.
The body has a few minor bruises and Paint is far from professional.  There is minimal rust on the rockers but floors and frame very solid.  Overall it is still a very solid car that starts right up and runs strong.   I have a Missouri Title for it but it's signed by previous owner. (Easy fix)  I’m asking $5800 Cash or I may do an Old School Trade with cash (60's-70's Cars-Trucks Only)

Copy and paste in your email:  564aef90e4c33bdda9d46718b77ae9dd@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1949 Desoto Custom sedan - Project.

'49 Desoto Custom KS a.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS b.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS c.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS d.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS e.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS f.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS g.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS h.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS i.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS j.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS k.jpg

'49 Desoto Custom KS l.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
- Price Reduced to $5,200, March '21 - Price Reduced to $5,000, April '21: -Price reduced to $4,600, June 2021: -Still Available, Price: $4,500: Oct-Nov 2021: (see edit history)

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Desoto Custom sedan - Project - $5,800 - Olathe, KS - Not Mine - Price Reduced to $5,200, March '21
On 2/22/2021 at 6:57 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

I have a Missouri Title for it but it's signed by previous owner. (Easy fix) 

I can't help but wonder why the "Easy fix" didn't happened before putting the car up for sale. Other than that the car sure has a lot going for it. 

• Like 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Desoto Custom sedan - Project - $5,800 - Olathe, KS - Not Mine - Price Reduced to $5,200, March '21 -- Price Reduced to $5,000, April '21.
  • 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Desoto Custom sedan - Project - $5,800 - Olathe, KS - Not Mine - Price Reduced to $5,200, March '21 -- Price Reduced to $5,000, April '21. - Price reduced to $4,600, June 2021

Sorry but there just isn't much of a market for cars like this $4600 Desoto 4-door sedan. There are many similar vehicles advertised on local Facebook for months at a time and no one wants them. The craigslist ad says it sat for 10 years, (too long, every mechanical component needs restored now, plus new tires) says it drives around the block but will need to be put on a trailer or towed away. Should have some rust repaired and a costly new paint job too and with all the expense required it just isn't worth it. There's a title problem as well (like many of these derelicts) that may or may not be easily (cheaply) fixed. Another one for the FB/craigslist graveyard unless some person comes along that really, really, really has to have this particular car but I'll bet that doesn't happen. 

• Like 1

• Ronnie changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Desoto Custom sedan - Project - Price reduced to $4,600, June 2021
1 hour ago, The 55er said:

Sorry but there just isn't much of a market for cars like this $4600 Desoto 4-door sedan. There are many similar vehicles advertised on local Facebook for months at a time and no one wants them. The craigslist ad says it sat for 10 years, (too long, every mechanical component needs restored now, plus new tires) says it drives around the block but will need to be put on a trailer or towed away. Should have some rust repaired and a costly new paint job too and with all the expense required it just isn't worth it. There's a title problem as well (like many of these derelicts) that may or may not be easily (cheaply) fixed. Another one for the FB/craigslist graveyard unless some person comes along that really, really, really has to have this particular car but I'll bet that doesn't happen. 

At $2600 I would still Balk. I doubt the paint would shine even with a wet sand and buff. Decent color combo though.

If it was a coupe interest would be higher , not high.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I dunno. This isn't a $4500 car but at $2500=3K  this would be a driveable old car the folks I know would buy to mess around with. It's unlikely that anyone would "restore" it but it' looks like a good car to cruise, and the paint and interior are not so bad that it would be unpresentable. 

• 1 month later...

55er speaks the harsh truth. However, not everyone has a ton of money to spend on an antique car. This car is straight, presentable, all trim complete, interior looks good. Best of all it is not a fluid drive, it's a good old three on the tree. This is the kind of car that you leave as it is. Preserve and improve it a bit over time. Do not restore, you just fix what it needs to drive safely and enjoy. These old Mopars exude a cool "ugly old car" vibe that can be appealing at the right price. 

• Like 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Desoto Custom sedan - Project - Price reduced to $4,600, June 2021 - Still Available, Price: $4,500: Oct-Nov 2021:

OOPs! I looked at the picture and saw three pedals, I forgot that fluid drive cars had a clutch pedal. It says fluid drive right in the ad. Are there many shops around that can fix these transmissions? I would be afraid that it would be hard to get fixed. I had a '56 Cadillac and found that local shops didn't want to work on the transmission.

You are correct it might be hard to find someone to work on fluid drive or the attached m6 semi-automatic transmission. The good news is that unlike most early automatic designs, there are scads of m6 cars still working fine today that have never had transmission work.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:49 PM, Rivguy said:

I forgot that fluid drive cars had a clutch pedal. It says fluid drive right in the ad. Are there many shops around that can fix these transmissions?

These transmissions are pretty rock solid and if you change the oil in them every couple of years they will go another 60 years. It is listed as a maintenance item. Same trans combo in my 50 Chrysler has never been out. Fluid Coupler might start to leak at the rear but rarely. Clutch job is just like every other and maybe easier as the front floor pan is removable. Parts for these Mopars are easy and everywhere.