For Sale: 1926 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN - LYONS, IL - Not Mine - Still Available, Relisted 3-12-2023.

1926 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN (LYONS , IL) Still Available, Relisted 3-12-2023. See New Link Below,

1926 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN - cars & trucks - by owner... (craigslist.org)
UP FOR SALE FROM A PRIVATE COLLECTOR THIS RARE AND VERY IMPORTANT ROLLS ROYCE , ONE OF ONLY FOUR EVER MADE BY BREWSTER COACH BUILDER ( CALLED THE SPECIAL NEWMARKET PERMANENT SPORT SEDAN ). FOR MORE INFORMATION ,YOU CAN REACH ME AT (number below).   ONLY SERIOUS BUYERS PLEASE . THANKS

Copy and paste in your email: 5b7eaf39105f34a19e5223a69ac78db6@sale.craigslist.org

This can't be for real????

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL a.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL b.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL c.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL d.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL e.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL f.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL g.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL h.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL i.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL j.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL k.jpg

'26 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN ILL l.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Relisted 3-12-2023. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 12:15 AM, deaddds said:

That is the best looking 4 dr i think Ive seen, ever. Hell, I didnt realize it was a 4 dr until I saw the interior shots. So its a RR but not a 26? Different year or what?

It’s a 1933 PII, Body by Brewster. The hood extends from the radiator to the windshield frame........the longest hood of any car I have ever delt with. It’s has perfect proportions. 

After looking over the photos for a second time, it’s a 1933 PII body on a Ghost chassis. It’s probably done in the era. I’m a big Ghost fan, but having that body on the earlier chassis will drastically affect price. Still a fantastic and beautiful car. I have worked on one of the three on the PII chassis.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

It’s a 1933 PII, Body by Brewster....having that body on the earlier chassis will drastically affect price. 

So, it must be a 1933 body on a 1926 chassis?

I know that Rolls-Royce owners often updated

their cars by having them rebodied by Rolls.

Were Rollses in this era as unnecessarily complex

as the later ones?  I hope not.  Admirable engineering

builds things to last, but keeps the engineering

foundationally simple.

It does have nice lines.

It is a 26 Silver Ghost that was rebodied in period by Brewster with a  Special Newmarket body typically found on the PII.    Ed and I were debating the numbers this morning,  and I can't find the list right now but I'm going to say there was single Special Newmarket placed on the Silver Ghost chassis,  this car,   another placed on the Phantom I (car is in Texas)  and then 3 or 4 placed on the Phantom II chassis.

This is a GREAT car but I have no idea why the owner marketed it for years on a dealer website in England and then decided to put it on Craig's List.    If we are devaluing the car,  why not just throw it on eBay?

The last Phantom II Newmarket sold for 1.2 million,   I would expect this one to be worth somewhere under 1/2 of the PII.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Why do Rolls-Royce coachbuilders in particular always insist on making the trunk lids open backwards and awkwardly? It looks like a rumble seat. Would it really have hurt anything functionally or aesthetically to have it hinged at the top?

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

Why do Rolls-Royce coachbuilders in particular always insist on making the trunk lids open backwards and awkwardly? It looks like a rumble seat. Would it really have hurt anything functionally or aesthetically to have it hinged at the top?

The tool kit goes in the lid which wouldn't work if it was hinged the other way.

• Thanks 1

Ok...disclosure. I know for a fact the tool kit will not fit in the back trunk of one of these cars. I have extensive experience with one of the PII cars with this body on it.  The tool kit is HUGE and probably weighs in at forty pounds. The kit goes in a very large box under the rear seat. You remove the lower cushion and the entire seat lower frame flips up for access to the tool kit. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The tool kit goes in the lid which wouldn't work if it was hinged the other way.

Nope........see above.....an unfair advantage!

• Like 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Ok...disclosure. I know for a fact the tool kit will not fit in the back trunk of one of these cars. I have extensive experience with one of the PII cars with this body on it.  The tool kit is HUGE and probably weighs in at forty pounds. The kit goes in a very large box under the rear seat. You remove the lower cushion and the entire seat lower frame flips up for access to the tool kit. 

Since I can't find a picture of one in the trunk lid I'll retract my last statement.      A prewar Rolls Royce probably carries the most extensive tool kit of any prewar car.   Part of why they were 20k bucks and a Duesenberg was 12-14.

https://rmsothebys-cache.azureedge.net/c/3/6/7/c/8/c367c80cfb40226bc014e2619a6153e284ffbbc6.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

foundationally simple.

It does have nice lines.

Nice Lines? John.......this is one the most beautiful four door cars ever designed...............and they have been mostly been in the great collections of the world. It's impolite to name where these cars have been , but trust me......they reside in collections similar to the Nethercutt Collection. Not just a good liking car......it's a masterpiece.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

So, it must be a 1933 body on a 1926 chassis?

I know that Rolls-Royce owners often updated

their cars by having them rebodied by Rolls.

foundationally simple.

It does have nice lines.

10 years ago Ed would lecture me about cars to avoid and always mentioned prewar Rolls.   Then he got his hands on a few cars and changed his tune.

On the plus side:

1.   Very strong club support.

2.  Almost all parts are available.

3.  Build quality is through the roof.

On the negative side:

1.   Complex systems

• Like 1

The Silver Ghost listing in Rolls-Royce in America by John Webb di Campi, Copyright 1975, page 226: 

Chassis Number: S374RL

Body Style: Stratford convertible coupe

Builder & Number: B2839

First Owner: G.L. Waggoner

City: Fort Worth, Texas

Delivery Date: 5/14/27

Second Body & Comments: "Spec 4p conv sdn B7403 (1935); B2839 scrapped; 3rd body: limo."

It's a very late, LHD Silver Ghost chassis (which has a 3-speed transmission and center shift) with a much later body - all of which is believable in period although if the body was changed during the working life of the car there will be a record of it...as we can see from the above, this chassis has had several bodies since new.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Nice Lines? John.......this is one the most beautiful four door cars ever designed...............and they have been mostly been in the great collections of the world. It's impolite to name where these cars have been , but trust me......they reside in collections similar to the Nethercutt Collection. Not just a good liking car......it's a masterpiece.

Absolute!  Quoting one of the great lines from the M.A.S.H. television show, to say this Rolls-Royce Brewster has "Nice Lines" is like saying "Ava Gardner had nice features"!

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

10 years ago Ed would lecture me about cars to avoid and always mentioned prewar Rolls.   Then he got his hands on a few cars and changed his tune.

To be fair.......I said you don't want one because you can't find a good one. And if you do, you can't afford it. I also said the only good ones I knew of back then were owned by George H. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:36 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Remember I said it had to be hinged down for the tools so because they were heavy?  I'm still looking for that example,  but here is one that shows the opposite of what I'm saying.

RollsRoycePhantomIIContinental-2.jpg

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1926 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN - LYONS, IL - Not Mine - Still Available, Relisted 3-12-2023.

Still Available, Relisted 3-12-2023.

1926 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST SPORT SEDAN - cars & trucks - by owner... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

UP FOR SALE IS A RARE AND VERY IMPORTANT ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST PERMANENT SEDAN , ONE OF ONLY FIVE BODY EVER MADE BY THE AMERICAN COACH-BUILDER BREWSTER , THEY WHERE MADE ORIGINALLY FOR PHANTOM TWO CHASSIS , THREE OF THOSE BODIES WERE MOUNTED ON P II CHASSIS , ONE WAS MOUNTED ON P I CHASSIS AND LAST ONE WAS MOUNTED ON THIS GHOST LEFT HAND DRIVE CHASSIS BY BREWSTER HIM SELF BY THE REQUEST OF THE FIRST OWNER ( Guy Waggoner) BACK IN 1933 .

When Brewster fitted the body on the Ghost chassis, he also added 4-wheel brakes with vacuum booster. there is an article written about this car in the flying lady magazine back in April 1954, will be glade to share it with interested buyer. this Rolls has only 33000 original miles, sat in a museum in Texas for over 50 years, interior and leather roof are in remarkable original condition, doors shut as solid as it could be. very nice inside interior wood trim, the car was painted, and chassis has been gone thru back in 2007, car never been driven for a good number of years, engine turns freely, will require a rolls Royce mechanic to waking her up.
there are many Rolls Royces out there but only few that stand out and this Rolls is one of them.
last one sold at RM auction back in 2017 for 1,23 million. Henley Roadster bring 1.7 million and I think the sport sedan is more attractive than the Roadster. but thats my Owen opinion. feel free to contact me for any farther info. SEE A LINK BELOW FOR THE LAST ONE SOLD LIKE MINE .

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AM17/Amelia-Island/lots/r343-1933-rolls-royce-phantom-ii-special-newmarket-permanent-sedan-by-brewster/411637

The price I am asking for my car is near the price of the car that is sold at RM auction. I am open for reasonable offers.
may consider vintage Bentley as partial trade in. (4 1/2 liter, 6 1/2 liter or 8 liter)

Copy and paste in your email: 3f3ff13e8b4a3df1b532551de9fbeb20@sale.craigslist.org

Hate to rain on the guys parade. The car with a ghost chassis is probably only 40 percent of the RM Amelia auction value at best. The Amelia car, which I was driving today is the only car with bucket seats and NO divider window. A much different car in terms of historical and chassis as well as provenance. The Amelia car was one of a PAIR delivered to the same people. World record price for a ghost(Springfield) is much lower than the dream number he is asking. Still a good car, just not a great car.………Ed

Photo is the Amelia car, in the Italian Alps, at Villa d’est on tour. A great drive.

035B479A-626C-436D-A192-40D923A16BDF.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I forgot to mention. I have a photo of his Special Newmarket when NEW at the Springfield Airport. 

• Like 3