Da 62 Electra 4 Door Hardtop "Six Window"

Smartin

It arrived this morning.  I'd love to say I was pleasantly surprised, but I guess it's par for the course for a sight-unseen purchase.  Sigh....

The car seems to run just fine.  Thee interior needs to be cleaned up.  Needs a headliner pretty badly.  There are several spots on the car that paint is bubbling. 

Currently looking for a set of the quarter ELECTRA 225 emblems that go next to the fins in the lower rear of the quarters.

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I think I really stepped in **it when I bought this.  I had no idea that the aftermarket for 62's was nearly non-existent.  I guess I should already know that since I've been dealing with that on a 62 Olds Starfire I bought last month.

Backup lenses for this thing are $225-250 on ebay.  So that's not going to happen.

It looks like I'll just be getting it mechanically and electrically sound...with some light cosmetic stuff.  I would end up in a massive rabbit hole if I tried to go any further with it.  The good thing is, there aren't any glaring holes when you look at it from 10 feet.  It has REALLY good chrome and stainless.  Engine runs well.  It needs some decent mufflers installed, as it is only running a pair of glass packs right now.  Oy...

So...carpet, headliner and sunvisors, dash pad if I can find one.  Package tray mesh.  New hubcaps coming already.  Air cleaner coming.

Things that don't work:  radio, clock (surprise), power vent windows, antenna, power seat, turn signals, AC, high beams are stuck on.  That's all I can think of right now.

• Like 3

Paint code is JC1 which is Willowmist lower, white painted upper.  Not sure what the 1 is.

I've looked on the googlez, but every 6 window hardtop I find is photographed in a way that I can't see that line.  The 4 door you posted is a 4 window hardtop.  The 6 window has an extra rear stationary window behind the back door window.

• Like 2

• Smartin changed the title to Da 62 Electra 4 Door Dardtop "Six Window"

Adam, I am pretty certain that the paint demarcation for the two-toning is correct.  I have photos of a few other examples here.  There was no stainless trim piece to separate the paint colors.  Click on the accompanying photos to enlarge.

Congratulations!  Very cool car!

One theory on the "1" in the paint code:  Some years for GM cars, the number refers to the color of the wheels -- body color vs. black.  But we'd have to make sure that body color wheels were available for '62.

roof color-1.jpg

roof color-2.jpg

roof color-3.jpg

roof color-4.jpg

roof color-5.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Interesting that the 2-tone paint scheme simply leaves that raw edge.  Although apparently not as new, it it were mine, I'd consider adding a painted pinstripe where the two colors meet.  Maybe in a color that mimics the interior?

• Smartin changed the title to Da 62 Electra 4 Door Hardtop "Six Window"

It has been painted, and I can see several of the typical areas where cars rust are bubbling.  Bottoms of quarters and a few spots on the doors.  It's really nice 15 footer.

I think the inner seat foam was just dry/brittle...and the last owner must have used the back seat a bunch, and it just crumbled to the floor.  The same issue with the front seat.  My HOPE is to kind of surgically remove the seat covers and rebuild the foam, then reinstall the covers.  The seat fabric is in pretty good shape....just dirty.

I'm looking into doing the seat foam on my Limited also.

While it has dried and hardened it is not yet crumbled down like I see yours did as it has not been sat if very much.

Good luck with yours and please post your progress.

You will be just chasing your tail.  When my 55 with original upholstery was about 60 years old the foam turned to power and had that replaced.  Not long after that the the seams started opening due to rotten thread...had that repaired.  A year later the actual seat cloth upholstery started tearing and separating and the the vinyl developed a sticky surface which could be cleaned but lasted only a few weeks.  I worked with SMS to get some original fabric and vinyl and that for sure will outlast me!

• Like 3

On 1/18/2021 at 5:38 PM, Smartin said:

I think I really stepped in **it when I bought this.  I had no idea that the aftermarket for 62's was nearly non-existent.  I guess I should already know that since I've been dealing with that on a 62 Olds Starfire I bought last month.

Backup lenses for this thing are $225-250 on ebay.  So that's not going to happen.

It seems that any time I am sorting through the lenses of vendors at Hershey and Carlisle, I always see lots of 61 Buick lenses....never any 60 (or 62). Any front end or brake parts that carry over to 63? I have some parts that I acquired from a 63 Electra that I can look through if you know of anything that may be needed. Good luck!

• Like 1

I should be good on front end and brake parts.  Mostly little electrical things that are plaguing the car.

The carpet came today...so I ripped out the seats.  Found a couple small-ish holes at the front toe board corners...and ca couple spots next to the front doors that are not pretty.  I’m just going to ignore them.  Carpet is installed now.

I’ll be talking with my upholstery guy to see if we can rebuild the foam in the existing lower front and back seats.  And searching for a matching green dye to get the color back into the fabric and door panels.

headliner has seen better days too.

7CBDF6E1-0C53-4A1B-9DC9-ADDD6AA290D4.jpeg

AC26C359-B213-46B9-ADB5-8854EF2AD327.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smartin said:

Don’t laugh...this is going to resurrect this crappy printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster.

Much better than not working!  

It's nice that it's large enough to do that with!  I recommend applying some of this after a satisfactory test.

be9e22db-7f15-46fe-ab80-cf5695520e60.30dc5018bb405319558399c77710ea76.jpeg.thumb.jpg.9434b11794de91b3639e899282df2eaa.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 1/18/2021 at 4:11 PM, Smartin said:

What does the factory paint separation line look like in these cars?  I have a hard time believing this is correct...

EAED2A6B-BBD2-4171-BEC6-3F90633787EC.jpeg

The factory photo shows a piece of trim between the white and lower body paint.  I do not see that on yours nor the  holes to mount trim.